• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Modern Warfare 2: Pre-Release Thoughts

Wooty

Staff member
<This image was lost in the great internet fire of 4/27/2010>

We all remember Halo 3, one of the first multiplayer experiences of our generation to be completely wrecked and destroyed by annoying children with headsets.

Then came along Call of Duty 4. It had a relatively entertaining multiplayer mode as well, but fell in a similar fashion to the grasps of pre-teen noobs with more caffeine and sugar than they know what to do with.

And now, coming 11/10/09, we have one more game that I feel will follow in these famous footsteps. Modern Warfare 2. This game has been over-hyped beyond belief. Just mentioning its name can spark an all out religious war. And yet again - it seems to be attracting the attention of the "annoying gamer crowd." A new trailer for the game was released on YouTube a few days ago, and a short glimpse of the video comments (shown above) shows exactly what I mean. Do we really want to play a multiplayer game with people who act like this? And for that matter, do we want the gaming community to be represented by people who yell profanities over their microphones all day from their parents basement? I sure hope not.

We definitely can't stop the massive swarm of spammers who will purchase this game and play it every hour of every day, so instead, I offer you this simple advice.

If you own Halo 3 or Cod4 and play online often, you'll probably enjoy Modern Warfare 2. Otherwise, you should only buy this game if you plan on sticking to the campaign or playing with a group of friends you know.

You have been warned! Oh, and did I mention 50 cent did voice acting? And Eminem made the music for the latest trailer? Eww.

I can't tell you how many people I've heard about being excited about MW2. I can't play call of duty, or halo anymore, just for this reason. It kind of shows what the gaming community has become, and where the demographics lay. Gaming used to be about high school/college kids playing on their PC's, now it's becoming more and more evident that it has come into the mainstream--microsoft made sure of that. This is the real reason why I like to stick to pc gaming. The PC gaming demographic is decidedly more grown up, whereas it's easy to get your mommy and daddy to get you to buy an Xbox 360 for christmas, a gaming computer not so much.

I completely agree, but unfortunately - a lot of people get stuck in the middle. I know a ton of mature people who would love to get into PC gaming, but can't because it's just so much more expensive. They get stuck playing the popular xbox games, along with all the other children.

I would be happy to pay a little extra to have an adults-only area of XBL where rules-enforcement was paid more attention to.

Back