• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Moving is sometimes a problem

crafteroftemines

I understand that there might be more pressing matters and that my first post in a while not be the most welcome, but I don't care. I'm tired. Anyways, my stepdad had gotten a new job working the city of cottonwood falls. I am happy that he got the job but it requires him and therefore me to move to chase county within a year aka this summer. I wouldn't have necessarilly cared one year ago, but the friends I've made and classes I'm taking ont carry over to the already incredibly small town. My biggest concern is that the new school might not have a debate team. I can't play sports and that might be the only extracurricular that they have. I'm also concerned abot the language department. Fuck Spanish! I would rather learn German or French the. A language that a fat girl walking everywhere teaches almost nothing useful. I would have rather have had his post about something better , but this is something I feel needed to be spoken.

Word of advice: There are a total of four languages you should really consider learning in your life. Spanish is one of them. Neither French nor German is. Learn Spanish.

Well, hopefully the venting helped you out, and maybe even formulate some of what you're feeling into something you can express to your family. Ultimately if the job is better than what your step-dad currently has, there probably won't be any change in that decision. However, I'm sure letting your folks know how you feel and your concerns about your academics, freinds and extracurriculars will allow them to think about ways to help you ease into the transition, and help you find some courses (maybe outside of school) that you would prefer to take.
If you don't tell them something is wrong, they won't know something is wrong.

Learn Spanish, Latin, Greek, and English (or a similar language) as your languages. Latin and Greek will make it easier to learn Spanish (and English/Latin-Greek Based language).

French and German are only useful if you plan going to a country that speaks them really. Spanish, or an oriental language like Chinese or Japanese would be very beneficial in any sort of business.

Also, following along with MagicForDummies, you may enjoy living in a larger area more than a rural one, but there is nothing inherently bad about living in a small-town, chances are unless you're in South Dakota or Nebraska or something that there is still a large city area nearby for you to do things of that sort.

But mainly, see it as a learning experience, chances are this won't ruin your life, if you still hate it when you're 18, you can move away but you might find out you love it. So just roll wit it mang.

Ugh. For clarification, because people seem confused.
1. Spanish is the language of business. If you want to move up in the corporate world, Spanish is similar enough to other languages that they become easy to learn, and most major transactions (think $1B+) are done in Spanish.
2. English, because as much as I hate to admit it, it's the most widely-known language, thanks to the the British Empire.
3. Japanese is very useful in a world increasingly dominated by Oriental culture. Also, even though most of the citizens will disagree, Southeastern Asian languages are extremely similar and a basic grasp of the spoken language can be quickly acquired, from Korean to Filipino.
4. Russian or Ukranian is extremely useful to know. In addition to being able to communicate with residents of one of the proudest and most culturally diverse countries in the world, Russian (or a similar Eastern European tongue) is spoken pretty much anywhere any of the above three aren't. Allowing, of course, for the exception of the Middle East.

If you feel like a fifth, learn Turkish. It will bridge the gap in your mind between the other spoken languages of the world and those of the Middle East.

The last language I advise is Esperanto. Being the only mathematically perfect language that actually really caught on, it's just a neat experience to learn. And it makes sense. None of this "I before E, except after C, except when sounding like A as in neighbour or weigh, except when spelling weird" bullshit.

I would advise Sign Language.....but having to choose between French, American, Spanish, English, Indian...you get the point. It's pointless.

Thank you for not bashin this giving helpful support, I will be more willing to try to learn Spanish and to expand my horizons. As for Russian and Japanese there is always Rosetta Stone. I will come back because my dad lives there so i will be able to get together with friends, and my mom might make an arrangement whee she will take us to the school which is just a 15 minute drive. And for the German, I am plannin on moving to Germany, because I kinda of get tired of the idiots in congress.

Back