Need help with getting a new camera

Casey

So, as the title says, I am looking to get a new camera. I plan on spending around ~800 USD and I want to get something powerful. Keep in mind that i am brand new to photography, but I am legitimately interested in it and I have no problem learning how to use any kind of camera, no matter how confusing it could be.

I know next to nothing about photography, nor do I know much about cameras. I want to make this clear, this thread is not me asking what camera is good. While I have no problem taking suggestions into consideration, I was hoping to get some people with experience in here. I want to learn, and having someone choose my camera for me is not a good way to start.

So I propose this, I have some questions about the specs of a camera, and what they are used for. Feel free to jump in and help out, and if you want to talk about anything else regarding cameras, or some hints/tips/tricks, then please feel free to. Just assume I know absolutely nothing about cameras, and we can move from there.

My first questions are as follows:

-What does the lens measurement mean, and how does that affect the zoom and anything else it could affect. Also, I noticed then looking at cameras, they give something like this:

18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 or 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Standard Zoom

What are the numbers after the lens measurement, and what is "standard zoom"

- What is CMOS?

-DX-Format, F-X Format, 1-2 Format; what is the format.

-What does an image processor do for the picture?

-Is there a good brand out there, as all I have ever heard of for good DSLR cameras involve Nikon and Canon. Those are the two I an considering. Is there anything that stands out about those two brands?

If you think of anything else, or feel the need to share some advice about camera functions, tips for taking good pictures, etc, then feel free to add it.

Thanks for any advice you might give.

I found this website when I was looking into getting a nice camera when my son was born to take pictures with (wound up buying a camcorder instead, go figure). It helped explain a lot about lens sizes and what not. The basic gyst is that the larger the number, the better the zoom. So a camera with an 18-200mm lens is better than a camera with a 18-55mm lens, as far as zoom goes. The number in the back is the f-stop, or the size of the opening inside the lens. The larger the opening, the slower the zoom.

CMOS is a way that the image is transferred from the camera to the card, basically (studied up on this when researching security cameras for my house). CMOS is a less-effective way for doing this (as far as quality of the image), but more energy efficient. I think CCD is the better way to go, but it is more expensive (do they even make CCD cameras?). I just found this site that helps explain the differences between CMOS and CCD.

As far as brands go...I was eyeballing either a Canon, Nikon or even Olympus for a camera. Sony does OK for cameras, but Sony tends to be more expensive than it should be and they're really better at camcorders than still photography. I'm not sure about Samsung. I like Samsung, and have a lot of different Samsung products (including a refridgerator), I would wager a guess that they would have a decent camera.

That's all the info I can give you, hopefully that helps somewhat.

Definitely plan to ask around, as there are a handful of people out there I was specifically looking to ask, however I prefer a broad spectrum of opinions and advice, so I posted this. Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it.

I'm still learning, so my advice would be futile due to my inexperience.

However, DSLRs are great. Fun, but at a premium.

When you find a camera and are ready to purchase, take a look at bhphoto.com. B and H is a great company (located in NYC), they have some really good deals in their used/refurbished cameras. Plus, out of all of the online camera retailers, they are one of the few I would trust. You have to watch ordering online, some retailers will offer a cheap up-front deal and then not ship unless you buy tons of overpriced extras. Good luck!

I'll post when I get out of class :3
edit: Before anything, what are you planning on using it for? For travels? Travels and everyday?
edit2: also lurk http://boards.4chan.org/p/ for a couple of days, you never know

Anything and everything. Literally, I have wanted to get into photography as a photo, but I plan on also traveling lots of places and I want a kickass camera to do it with.

Ultimately, when it comes down to it, whatever camera you have is going to be the best camera. The general rule in DSLRs is to find a medium ground on the body of the camera and invest in high quality lenses. You can save some money on the camera body by purchasing something a generation or two older OR mirrorless cameras have come a LONG way. Might be worth looking into, they are nice because they offer a lot of the advantages of a DSLR in a much more compact form factor. This kit is pretty nice. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/896002-REG/Nikon_13213_1_V1_Mirrorless_Digital.html

PS when it comes to the nikon/canon/etc debate. It's meaningless. Almost all of the major camera manufacturers are producing good quality cameras. The only thing to keep in mind with them is once you buy into an "ecosystem" then you are pretty much stuck there. If you start buying Nikon lenses, you are going to want to stay there forever and use those lenses. Same with Canon, Sony, etc.

It has been decided!

Nikon D5200 with standard lense (until I get better and decide to buy some wide angle and macro lenses)

I would say I am envious, but I think I need more time with DSLRs before I go for cameras like that. Also, that's a lot of money for the D600. Would you get a refurbished or new one?

I would say I am envious, but I think I need more time with DSLRs before I go for cameras like that. Also, that's a lot of money for the D600. Would you get a refurbished or new one?

Either. Depends on what return looks like, how if my honey feels like spending that kind of dough. As a man and tech geek, I want the D600, but would settle for the D7000 as well.

Back