Need some help with computers.

Kurtis

I'm looking into computers, specifically medium-high end gaming laptops that will last for hopefully 4-ish years before I need to upgrade, and came across something I don't understand. I saw that some of the ones on sagernotebook.com have Intel HM77 chipsets.. what the hell is that? I thought the best thing was Intel 3rd Generation processors, but these chipsets mention 3rd gen support so now I'm all confused. Anyway someone point me in the right direction so I don't waste my money, please and thank you.

PS: Don't tell me to go for a desktop, I don't have the room and in university I'll need the mobility.

Can you specify what the laptop will be used for?

Intel hm77 chipset refers to the motherboard, which apparently can hold 2nd gen or 3rd gen Intel processors.
Intel claims that the hm77 chipset and 3rd gen processor combo is "unparalleled."

Here's some info in this Intel linky. Mind you, it's the manufacturer's website, so the product description is filled with a lot of inflated words and no bad reviews.

HM77 is simply just the newest mobile chipset - provides support for the Ivy Bridge (i.e. 22nm) series of Intel processors (3rd gen). Unless you're planning on finding a laptop that offers a raid solution (i.e. perhaps 2 SSDs in RAID 0) you can avoid looking for a model with the QM77 chipset as HM77 is identical (PCIe lanes, 6GB Sata 3, etc.).

Thanks. :)

I've narrowed it down to two different laptops now and I think they both have the HM77 chipset and an intel 3rd gen i7. The main uses for it would be high graphic software (Photoshop mostly), and being able to play games on high settings while still having good FPS.

Back