Need Some Life Advice

GreenEarth

I know this is probably not the appropriate site to be asking, but since we are a community and I'm half asleep I guess I'll try. Also this is directed more to the 18 19 20+ people, but if you have any ideas I guess share.

Ok, so I'm 20. I just finished my 4th semester of university (2 years). Every year I get older I feel like my time is running out faster. (does that sound right?) I feel like I'm getting less of what I want to do done and just grinding through the daily routine. But faster and faster as the weeks progress. It's this looming, anxious feeling I can't shake. That I'm going to look back and regret the time that flew by, and I've already started looking back and wondering where my time went. I'm not doing anything much different then lets say 4 years ago, just going to school. Or maybe I feel this way because I am doing the same thing? In the same city? I have no idea.

Has anyone else had this inexplicable feeling? Something like it? Sorry for the vague nature of my question.

I have the same feeling all the time. The best thing to do, I would think, would be to, when you have some free time, do something different, something you have never done before.
You could also go and live in a different country or city for a little bit of time and experience something different. It's what I hope to do when I get some time out of my university life!

I know this is probably not the appropriate site to be asking, but since we are a community and I'm half asleep I guess I'll try. Also this is directed more to the 18 19 20+ people, but if you have any ideas I guess share.

Ok, so I'm 20. I just finished my 4th semester of university (2 years). Every year I get older I feel like my time is running out faster. (does that sound right?) I feel like I'm getting less of what I want to do done and just grinding through the daily routine. But faster and faster as the weeks progress. It's this looming, anxious feeling I can't shake. That I'm going to look back and regret the time that flew by, and I've already started looking back and wondering where my time went. I'm not doing anything much different then lets say 4 years ago, just going to school. Or maybe I feel this way because I am doing the same thing? In the same city? I have no idea.

Has anyone else had this inexplicable feeling? Something like it? Sorry for the vague nature of my question.
I know that feel, brah.

Sometimes, it just feels as if the big, bad world is looming out there, and you've got that unshakeable feeling that you're completely bumfucked. And it's like, a pressure. There's enormous pressure to succumb to the norm. It's kinda like you have to work hard to fit into some sorta tedium that the rest of the populace are in. But it's hard. Where do I go? By doing the same ol', same ol', are you just frittering your life away?

Is that what you mean? Like, personally, I have these moments where I just look back on myself, and my adherence to a routine, and feel as if I'm racing some clock. Where I really have nothing to worry about. It's like, it's both clear what you have to do in live, but it's also up in the air.

I'm in the same boat as you. Nothing has really changed in my life over the past four years. I'm still just going to school. It's just another load of work till another big rush; another test, another small but significant hurdle - and then just meaningless coasting, until the next grind.

I know I'm not being very coherent here; I'm tired as well. But I think I know where you're coming from.

Sometimes, I just feel as if I'm working away to an unachievable goal. Like, I'm just running outta time before I'm thrust into real life. I guess it's apprehension about entering the workforce, you know? It's like, you've done all this studying, this mooching off your parents, all this work, and then you're thrown up into the air, where nothing's really certain. And it feels like as soon as you get an oppurtunity, an opening - a secure place - it's just going to be more coasting. But of a good kind.

It's like you're on an unstoppable train to a melacholic place which, will likely end well, but more than likely (or at least, in your mind) go belly-up.

I sound like I'm on the world's greatest batch of tweedle doo right now, but I get what you feel. Perhaps I am projecting my own personal, rather insignicant woes into your concept, but I get where you're coming from. If you like, PM me or catch me on Mumble and we can talk. I'm struggling to put this into words. In some ways, I'm a more convincing orator than I am a writer. Or is that the other way round?

But I agree with McFar in that it's good to travel. Travel broadens your horizons and do anything from relax you from engaging you, or even teaching you something new.

I talk about it often, but I went to Japan for 3 weeks on a language study trip with a bunch of me mates, and it was really refreshing. It was interesting to be chilling in another country, where everything is vaguely similar, but contained with small, everyday marvels, that just challenge your conceptions. More so than anything, it was a nice break. It freed up my tedium and gave me a new (alas, temporary) lease on my life, I guess. That's a bit deep and meaningful, but whatevs.

So, yeah.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=122322542 said:
"That may be because the brain records new experiences — especially novel and exciting experiences — differently. This is even measurable. Eagleman's lab has found that brains use more energy to represent a memory when the memory is novel.

So, first memories are dense. The routines of later life are sketchy. The past wasn't really slower than the present. It just feels that way".

I'm almost 21 (in 10 days I will be :p) and I have the same feeling as you, I get it regularly so these are just my thoughts on this matter.

So yeah, I know this somewhat akward feeling, it's sort of a reality check that everyone get's when you pass the magic number 20.
it's really nothing to be afraid of, it's part of growing up. The fact that you're understanding this world and the concept of time (in some way you could call this becoming mature) gives you the feeling like: sh*t my time is already starting to run out.

Remember that time doesn't go any faster then when you were a kid of 16-17 years old. So the thing you could do, at least that's what I do , is to look at life and stand still for a moment.. then you will see that in your life you have learned, seen, gained so much experience in so many different subjects of life
and you know that there is still enough time left to keep on learning till the day your life ends. Just enjoy life, go to family or friends and spend some good time with them. This will give you the feeling that you're using your time in a good way and it will help you to "slow down time" in some way.

I don't know if all this made any sense, or if it was helpful, but those are just my thoughts that came at the top of my head when I saw this topic.

i understand. In fact, this is probably the most suprising thing I got out of the military. I joined for so many reasons, but it changed my perspective over things I didn't even know I had perspectives on. Growing up, I never lived in one place for more than three years, and so I never really felt the way you did. Then I moved to Kentucky, and finished up my time with my parents there. I had felt like I had reached a peak, and that there wasn't a whole lot I could do with the position I was in. So, I convinced myself to join the military. Since then, I have done things that most people will never do in their entire lives. When we aren't doing anything, like now, and life is uninteresting, I feel like crap, but all I have to do is think about all the stuff I have done, and realize that I have so much time in front of me to do so much more than that. I love and hate deploying. Its dangerous, and some of the places I have been involved people shooting at us, but you know what, the feeling that accompanies that, while one of the scariest in my life, definitely pushes the envelope, and thats what you need to do. Find a way to push yourself. Whether it is jumping out of a plane, or trying something new, the experiences you go through in life need to be frsh, or else you get stuck in a rut. I am not saying join the military, just push yourself. Anytime you get that feeling, think to yourself that there si plenty in life to do yet, and sit down and plan something. Whether a trip to the town over, or across the world; a new trick, or working on improving an ability.

Change is what you need, no matter what kind, just change something up, work on improving something, or go somewhere. Your choice, but I find pushing the envelope is the best cure to this, and it also helps you push yourself harder. Good luck, and if you ever find yourself in South Dakota, let me know, we can go cliff diving or something.

Good to hear different perspectives on this, thank you all.
I have the same feeling all the time. The best thing to do, I would think, would be to, when you have some free time, do something different, something you have never done before.
You could also go and live in a different country or city for a little bit of time and experience something different. It's what I hope to do when I get some time out of my university life!
Yeah I'm saving for a plane ticket.
I know that feel, brah.

Sometimes, it just feels as if the big, bad world is looming out there, and you've got that unshakeable feeling that you're completely bumfucked. And it's like, a pressure. There's enormous pressure to succumb to the norm. It's kinda like you have to work hard to fit into some sorta tedium that the rest of the populace are in. But it's hard. Where do I go? By doing the same ol', same ol', are you just frittering your life away?

Is that what you mean? Like, personally, I have these moments where I just look back on myself, and my adherence to a routine, and feel as if I'm racing some clock. Where I really have nothing to worry about. It's like, it's both clear what you have to do in live, but it's also up in the air.

I'm in the same boat as you. Nothing has really changed in my life over the past four years. I'm still just going to school. It's just another load of work till another big rush; another test, another small but significant hurdle - and then just meaningless coasting, until the next grind.

I know I'm not being very coherent here; I'm tired as well. But I think I know where you're coming from.

Sometimes, I just feel as if I'm working away to an unachievable goal. Like, I'm just running outta time before I'm thrust into real life. I guess it's apprehension about entering the workforce, you know? It's like, you've done all this studying, this mooching off your parents, all this work, and then you're thrown up into the air, where nothing's really certain. And it feels like as soon as you get an oppurtunity, an opening - a secure place - it's just going to be more coasting. But of a good kind.

It's like you're on an unstoppable train to a melacholic place which, will likely end well, but more than likely (or at least, in your mind) go belly-up.

I sound like I'm on the world's greatest batch of tweedle doo right now, but I get what you feel. Perhaps I am projecting my own personal, rather insignicant woes into your concept, but I get where you're coming from. If you like, PM me or catch me on Mumble and we can talk. I'm struggling to put this into words. In some ways, I'm a more convincing orator than I am a writer. Or is that the other way round?

But I agree with McFar in that it's good to travel. Travel broadens your horizons and do anything from relax you from engaging you, or even teaching you something new.

I talk about it often, but I went to Japan for 3 weeks on a language study trip with a bunch of me mates, and it was really refreshing. It was interesting to be chilling in another country, where everything is vaguely similar, but contained with small, everyday marvels, that just challenge your conceptions. More so than anything, it was a nice break. It freed up my tedium and gave me a new (alas, temporary) lease on my life, I guess. That's a bit deep and meaningful, but whatevs.

So, yeah.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head
Yeah I read that article before posting this thread :D

I'm almost 21 (in 10 days I will be :p) and I have the same feeling as you, I get it regularly so these are just my thoughts on this matter.

So yeah, I know this somewhat akward feeling, it's sort of a reality check that everyone get's when you pass the magic number 20.
it's really nothing to be afraid of, it's part of growing up. The fact that you're understanding this world and the concept of time (in some way you could call this becoming mature) gives you the feeling like: sh*t my time is already starting to run out.

Remember that time doesn't go any faster then when you were a kid of 16-17 years old. So the thing you could do, at least that's what I do , is to look at life and stand still for a moment.. then you will see that in your life you have learned, seen, gained so much experience in so many different subjects of life
and you know that there is still enough time left to keep on learning till the day your life ends. Just enjoy life, go to family or friends and spend some good time with them. This will give you the feeling that you're using your time in a good way and it will help you to "slow down time" in some way.

I don't know if all this made any sense, or if it was helpful, but those are just my thoughts that came at the top of my head when I saw this topic.
Yeah, even when I was 16 it felt like thing were moving too fast, and before I knew it I would be a senior in high school, then bam I'm graduating high school.
i understand. In fact, this is probably the most suprising thing I got out of the military. I joined for so many reasons, but it changed my perspective over things I didn't even know I had perspectives on. Growing up, I never lived in one place for more than three years, and so I never really felt the way you did. Then I moved to Kentucky, and finished up my time with my parents there. I had felt like I had reached a peak, and that there wasn't a whole lot I could do with the position I was in. So, I convinced myself to join the military. Since then, I have done things that most people will never do in their entire lives. When we aren't doing anything, like now, and life is uninteresting, I feel like crap, but all I have to do is think about all the stuff I have done, and realize that I have so much time in front of me to do so much more than that. I love and hate deploying. Its dangerous, and some of the places I have been involved people shooting at us, but you know what, the feeling that accompanies that, while one of the scariest in my life, definitely pushes the envelope, and thats what you need to do. Find a way to push yourself. Whether it is jumping out of a plane, or trying something new, the experiences you go through in life need to be frsh, or else you get stuck in a rut. I am not saying join the military, just push yourself. Anytime you get that feeling, think to yourself that there si plenty in life to do yet, and sit down and plan something. Whether a trip to the town over, or across the world; a new trick, or working on improving an ability.

Change is what you need, no matter what kind, just change something up, work on improving something, or go somewhere. Your choice, but I find pushing the envelope is the best cure to this, and it also helps you push yourself harder. Good luck, and if you ever find yourself in South Dakota, let me know, we can go cliff diving or something.
Thanks :) The black hills were pretty awesome I'm looking to come back one day.

Back