Notch settiling Lawsuit in a game of Quake.

GiftedNarwhals

As many know notchs new game called Scrolls is apparently in violation of Bethesda's trademark/copyright on The elder scrolls.

Notch has just thrown down the gauntlet on his blog. He wants to settle the Scolls lawsuit with Bethesda once and for all, by beating them in a game of Quake 3.

“I challenge Bethesda to a game of Quake 3. Three of our best warriors against three of your best warriors,” Notch writes. “We select one level, your select the other, we randomize the order. 20 minute matches, highest total frag count per team across both levels wins.”

“If we win, you drop the lawsuit. If you win, we will change the name of Scrolls to something you’re fine with.”

“I am serious, by the way,” he adds.

Even though this could set a quite worrying legal precedent, PC Gamer supports this idea. We hereby offer to help with the administration and refereeing of the event, should Bethesda agree. May the best men win.
- Taken from Pc gamer

But the law suit is dumb, how does the Single word, 'scrolls' have anything to do with 'the elder scrolls'? It's almost if Woot had a claim on Team9000 name, and I used the word 'team' and then he'd file a lawsuit. WTF TODAY WORLD?!?

But the law suit is dumb, how does the Single word, 'scrolls' have anything to do with 'the elder scrolls'? It's almost if Woot had a claim on Team9000 name, and I used the word 'team' and then he'd file a lawsuit. WTF TODAY WORLD?!?

If that's the case, Woot could totally take down this school and obliterate their Science and Math programs because they are one 0 and .net away from Copyright Infringement...

Team900.com

I still think it's epic that Notch is settling a lawsuit with a videogame duel. If only they allowed this in public courts, maybe "Judge [insert name here]" show would get better ratings!:cool:

It really lies with whomever copyrighted it first.
So if anyone's point is invalid, it's your sir. XD

irrelevant. if you create something first, don't copyright, and someone else patents/copyrights, you lose exclusivity.

2010 is the year of patent wars, if you don't know this yet, browse the mac forums.

This is not how copyright works. Copyright is instantly implied in the United States, you do not have to register or apply for a copyright.

What I meant to say is, if although your work is copyrighted, without registering, you lose ability to sue in court of law.

Back