PC Update Help

primagen102

So my of of has had some major hardware issues and it is finally time to upgrade. I haven't really kept up to date on the latest hardware but have cobbled together a list of what I think might be a decent system. Any comments, bottlenecks, issues etc? All comments welcome.

Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro 2.0

CPU - Amd FX-4350 Quad Core 4.2 Ghz

Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866

PSU - Corsair RM Series 750 Watt Atx/Eps 80 plus Gold

O/S - Windows 8.1

Hard Drive - Current drives are fine so those will remain

So my of of has had some major hardware issues and it is finally time to upgrade. I haven't really kept up to date on the latest hardware but have cobbled together a list of what I think might be a decent system. Any comments, bottlenecks, issues etc? All comments welcome.

Motherboard - ASUS M5A99FX Pro 2.0

CPU - Amd FX-4350 Quad Core 4.2 Ghz

Ram - G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1866

PSU - Corsair RM Series 750 Watt Atx/Eps 80 plus Gold

O/S - Windows 8.1

Hard Drive - Current drives are fine so those will remain
Are you gonna go with a GPU or nah?
Also, if you can splurge, you may think about investing in a SSD

Currently have a ge force 800Gt 256 mb's ddr2. Are the ssd load times that much better?
It depends, if you're using software that takes a long time to load (ex: Windows OS, Photoshop or Premiere, Skyrim), then it could be well worth the investment. But if you are content with everything now, then by all means, keep it. And what you do on the computer can help with whether or not you should consider a GPU upgrade.

I have been interested in hosting my own FTB server (or whatever the equivalent is these days) but haven't had the proper hardware in the past. I've started catching up a bit but have been out the system building game so long I feel completely out of date.

Not sure how many ghz I need or cores these days. Last time I really got into cpu research dual core was a brand new thing

I'm not going to be any help here because I'm absolutely shit with hardware, but have you ever considered or even heard of the edit button?

I don't research AMD because I'm an Intel fanboy. Can't help there.

Most games barely use 4 cores, AMD makes you think you need 10 for some reason.

PSU without a GPU I suggest 600W tops. I had a GTX 460, 5 hard drives, and a core 2 quad 6600 on a 530W PSU

Also, if you decide to go with the SSD, I'd be careful not to put TOO many things on it, as SSDs have a finite number of writes that they're capable of before they die.

Just your OS, and maybe a game or two that you won't be updating often, or at all.

I'll probably bypass ssd then. I decided to put a gpu in and move down to a 600w psu. Gigabyte ge force 610 2 gb ddr3

Can you tell me all the parts you currently have, and the budget you have for the upgrade? Case form factor is important (ATX Mid/Full, mATX, mITX).

Read the OP you turkey.
I have realized that the OP is indeed telling what parts he currently has and not what parts he is upgrading to.

I haven't really kept up to date on the latest hardware but have cobbled together a list of what I think might be a decent system.

EDIT: Current parts list has been found.

That mobo is an ATX, which narrows your inquiry of form factors to Mid/Full in regards to the case. A more appropriate question would be what kind of case do you have? :p
Yeah, perhaps I should've thought my post out a bit more.

I still would like to know what his defined budget is, though. Could help a bit.

Thermaltake Armor Case (old style from circa 2006) it will hold EATX, Atx etc. everything else I'm replacing.
Parts I'm looking at are:
MB Asus M5A99FX Pro R2.0
CPU Amd FX-4350
Ram Kingston Hyper X Fury 8 GB (2x4) 1600 MHz ddr3
PSU Corsair CX Series 600Watt
Video Card gigabyte Ge Force GT 610 2Gb DDR3
HD currently have 2 can't recall what they are 1.5 tb total
Don't really have a budget. Don't want to spend a fortune on it tho

Back