Portal 2 Perpetual Testing Initiative

my puzzle would involve you reaching terminal velocity and then slamming into a wall.
I didn't think you could reach terminal velocity (with no outside forces, and one constant force)... Isn't it like an asymptote, where you get closer and closer, but never actually reach it?

I didn't think you could reach terminal velocity (with no outside forces, and one constant force)... Isn't it like an asymptote, where you get closer and closer, but never actually reach it?

"Terminal velocity" refers to the maximum velocity attainable by a falling object in a certain position. I think you're thinking about the speed of light.

The terminal velocities we're most familiar with (like the ones you reach in a skydive) are nowhere near relativistic speeds.

A terminal velocity is not constant. In a skydive, you can raise your terminal velocity by minimizing your profile (like orienting yourself to fall feet first). To lower your terminal velocity, simply go back to the "spread eagle" position.

"Terminal velocity" refers to the maximum velocity attainable by a falling object in a certain position. I think you're thinking about the speed of light.

The terminal velocities we're most familiar with (like the ones you reach in a skydive) are nowhere near relativistic speeds.

A terminal velocity is not constant. In a skydive, you can raise your terminal velocity by minimizing your profile (like orienting yourself to fall feet first). To lower your terminal velocity, simply go back to the "spread eagle" position.
No, i'm not talking about the speed of light. In the game, the player's shape remains constant (with regards to such calculations), so the terminal velocity would not change. Last time I calculated it, the velocity of such an object would never reach terminal velocity. I believe the difference between the velocity and terminal velocity decreased, in regards to time, in an inversely exponential manner.

Watches the video.

tumblr_ly5thxV1Xj1r25mgr.gif

No, i'm not talking about the speed of light. In the game, the player's shape remains constant (with regards to such calculations), so the terminal velocity would not change. Last time I calculated it, the velocity of such an object would never reach terminal velocity. I believe the difference between the velocity and terminal velocity decreased, in regards to time, in an inversely exponential manner.

AH! Apparently, you're correct (provided that the game engine applies real world physics).

Wikipedia said:
Based on wind resistance, for example, the terminal velocity of a skydiver in a belly-to-earth (i.e.:face down) free-fall position is about 195 km/h (122 mph or 54 m/s).[2] This velocity is the asymptotic limiting value of the acceleration process, because the effective forces on the body balance each other more and more closely as the terminal velocity is approached. In this example, a speed of 50% of terminal velocity is reached after only about 3 seconds, while it takes 8 seconds to reach 90%, 15 seconds to reach 99% and so on.

Here's your cookie. :D

cookie.jpg

Back