Programming questions

Cheese7710

Hello. I was driving from college today and thought "I keep saying I'm going to make a great game, but I have hardly any programming experience outside of RobotC. Maybe I should learn how to use one that can actually go towards my goal, such as C++."

I was wanting to know if anyone could help me find a website where I can look at some simple C++ language scripts, as well as a decent (and preferably free) C++ engine so I can actually practice the scripts. I have the Unreal Development Kit (which is free as long as I don't make my game commercial, but I'll worry about the payment if I actually get that far), but I don't know how to do much on it. I'm more concerned about the C++ at the moment though.

*NOTE* If I get good enough at programming, I may get the Unreal Engine 4, which would solve the problem of a C++ Script editor. However, I am only getting paid minimum wage, so I would rather avoid it if possible.

Have you tried just looking up C++ source code? The games might be very simple but it will allow you to look at and edit code as you want.

Just start with something simple like basic 2d games such as pacman or pong, then when you get comfortable with it you can start making your own code and developing your own game.

Back