Project: M Discussion

Zennai

Fhdg2Ua.png

Welcome, smashers! Project M is an overhaul mod for Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Even with Smash 4 around the corner, there's still plenty of fun to be had with the previous game! (So long as it's modded, Vanilla SSBB blows.)

Project M is based around giving Brawl a faster paced, technical metagame. Many techniques and physics from Melee, such as faster falling speeds and wavedashing have returned. However, unlike Melee, the cast of characters has been balanced out. No more Fox > everyone else.

Version 3.0 was released on Monday, which finally includes updated movesets for the whole roster of characters from Brawl, and even the triumphant return of Mewtwo and Roy! Among the many other anticipated features is Turbo Mode, which allows for on-hit cancelling with all attacks.

More info, as well as the download can be found on the Website. See you soon, Smashers!​

Vanilla SSBB blows.

This is the 3rd time I've heard this, and though I have both Melee and Brawl, I'm not sure why people say so. Could someone explain in a nutshell? Are the final smash orbs really that bad, or is there something else?

Fhdg2Ua.png

Welcome, smashers! Project M is an overhaul mod for Super Smash Brothers Brawl. Even with Smash 4 around the corner, there's still plenty of fun to be had with the previous game! (So long as it's modded, Vanilla SSBB blows.)

Project M is based around giving Brawl a faster paced, technical metagame. Many techniques and physics from Melee, such as faster falling speeds and wavedashing have returned. However, unlike Melee, the cast of characters has been balanced out. No more Fox > everyone else.

Version 3.0 was released on Monday, which finally includes updated movesets for the whole roster of characters from Brawl, and even the triumphant return of Mewtwo and Roy! Among the many other anticipated features is Turbo Mode, which allows for on-hit cancelling with all attacks.

More info, as well as the download can be found on the Website. See you soon, Smashers!​
.... Why does everyone think Fox is the best? I mean he was good in melee, but he was slapped in the genitals by the nerf bat in Brawl. Brawl was fairly balanced, in my opinion. This is why I always went 'random' no matter what. In fact, I pick random in any fighting game, because I'm a firm believer in tiers being shit and stupid. This is pretty much why you'll never see me in an official tournament, because random is usually disabled, because... *coughs up a lung* "it prevents counterpicking and and is unfair to the other player(s)." :coffee:

This is the 3rd time I've heard this, and though I have both Melee and Brawl, I'm not sure why people say so. Could someone explain in a nutshell? Are the final smash orbs really that bad, or is there something else?
To put it simply, ssbb is a lot slower paced than melee (or at least the competitive side of melee) Also, most of the levels have annoying gimmicks that usually end up interrupting competitive matches.

This video is a good example of some things that can be done in melee and project m that can't be done in brawl.

This is a really cool documentary series too if you're interested:

Isn't Metanight the most overpowered character in smash history?
Not really. He's got just fast and has a good recovery system. His damage output is fairly poor, and he has a lot of cooldown on his attacks. He's also a lighter character, although heavier than Kirby. Metaknight also lacks projectiles, but has a lot of gap closers, all of them, however, take away his third jump, so despite being agile in the air, he doesn't have as many options as the others. His Final Smash also has one of the shortest ranges of all of them, making it only viable if you're always on top of your opponent. If they're playing keep away, you'll likely miss.

His damage output is fairly poor,
His damage from one attack may be poor, but his attacks are so fast his damage gets ridiculous in a short time.
and he has a lot of cooldown on his attacks.
wat. MK is a Melee-speed character in Brawl, which means he's the fastest character in the game.
He's also a lighter character, although heavier than Kirby.
Who needs weight when you have 5 jumps, 4 recovery options and 2 glides?
Metaknight also lacks projectiles,
His only downside.
but has a lot of gap closers, all of them, however, take away his third jump,
He has 5 jumps, and he can still glide without using his Up-B, on top of not even needing it unless you need vertical recovery,
so despite being agile in the air, he doesn't have as many options as the others.
He can use his U-Air three times in one short hop, and all of his aerials are good, which, coupled with his 5 jumps and great knockback on his Up-B, means his aerial game is ridiculous,
His Final Smash also has one of the shortest ranges of all of them, making it only viable if you're always on top of your opponent. If they're playing keep away, you'll likely miss.
No one uses Final Smashes in competitive, which means it doesn't matter.

Meta Knight is the most broken character in Smash Bros. history, and no other character in Brawl even comes close to his ridiculous power.
I rest my case.

1. Competitive standards are garbage, and generally full of biased opinions and rules that prevent people from throwing a tantrum over "unfair advantages" such as items.

2. Metaknight's attacks appear fast, however, after each move, there's a period where no inputs are allowed. Kirby suffers from the exact same thing. Properly timing an attack can ruin both of the characters.

3. Metaknight only has one consistent launcher: His Up-B. This makes a launching K.O. difficult, whereas a zoning K.O. will work better, to which numerous characters have anti-zoning measures.

4. Metakinght himself is susceptible to zoning a bit more than most characters. While he has great air mobilty, he's a sitting duck if the player isn't careful. Also, if Metaknight can't successfully be in the air do to being zoned out of it, his ground abilities are terrible.

5. Metaknight's weight does play a factor when he can be launched K.O. when he's at 60-70%.

6. Metaknight also has the slowest turning animation while running.

To be honest, I don't see what everyone else does when it comes to him. :coffee: All I see is a character who looks broken, but isn't.

Whoa, I go to bed, wake up, and a competitive smash discussion has been brewed in that time? I should do this more often.

To answer questions:
Zerobit got this down pretty well before I did. Two most common complaints are:
1. Slower Metagame
2. Lack of/Much fewer technical maneuvers.
Both make the game feel dumbed down to many players.
Zennai said:
No more Fox > everyone else.
That was only a crack at the Melee tier list. I anticipated that someone would bring up tiers, (Look what happened) and I attempted to establish a point that P:M is balanced well.

As for tier standings, yes, Metaknight IS overpowered, Ice Climbers/Snake are close behind, but everyone else is balanced. Somewhat.

Nobody I know IRL can use the Ice Climbers. Which means I scare the living crap out of them, because the Climbers are my favorite :3

Smack talk
Don't talk smack, Crogenitor's right.
1. Competitive standards are garbage, and generally full of biased opinions and rules that prevent people from throwing a tantrum over "unfair advantages" such as items.
...Not really. There's a reason they have standards, to standard-ize gameplay.
2. Metaknight's attacks appear fast, however, after each move, there's a period where no inputs are allowed. Kirby suffers from the exact same thing. Properly timing an attack can ruin both of the characters.
But this is kinda against the point. What MK can do is stand still, spam A, and inflict very large quantities of low-damage attacks.
3. Metaknight only has one consistent launcher: His Up-B. This makes a launching K.O. difficult, whereas a zoning K.O. will work better, to which numerous characters have anti-zoning measures.
I always thought his Up-B was his worst move. His strong up-A is far better at lauching.
4. Metakinght himself is susceptible to zoning a bit more than most characters. While he has great air mobilty, he's a sitting duck if the player isn't careful. Also, if Metaknight can't successfully be in the air do to being zoned out of it, his ground abilities are terrible.
I also don't get this. He's a very fast character and has very good mobility. He's far from useless on the ground.
5. Metaknight's weight does play a factor when he can be launched K.O. when he's at 60-70%.
MK is one of the hardest characters to launch. He can just... Fly back to the stage.
6. Metaknight also has the slowest turning animation while running.
I agree
To be honest, I don't see what everyone else does when it comes to him. :coffee: All I see is a character who looks broken, but isn't.
I agree

MK is a good character and he has many positive attributes, but he's honestly not that good. I agree with the consensus that he's OP in tournaments, he's a god tier or whatever, but I prefer other characters.

Like Toon Link.

Zenny I CAN'T wait until this Saturday. We will be at Nekosol's house (his birthday party) and we will be playing Project M, but Zenny modded it even more! I requested that Sonic will say: "C'mon, step it up!" EVERY MOVE AND ATTACK HE MAKES. It is gonna be hell on Earth and I can't wait for that.

Bumping to ask:

Have any of you guys continued with any form of competitive smash? I mean like attending tournaments, watching tourneys on twitch, playing with friends once in a while, etc.

My brother and I have been practicing kind of on and off since December and I hope we can go to a local tournament soon for some solid experience. You can find me on Smashboards under my tag of 0-bit.

Bumping to ask:

Have any of you guys continued with any form of competitive smash? I mean like attending tournaments, watching tourneys on twitch, playing with friends once in a while, etc.

My brother and I have been practicing kind of on and off since December and I hope we can go to a local tournament soon for some solid experience. You can find me on Smashboards under my tag of 0-bit.
I've been practicing, but no one I know shares an interest in fighting games, so I'm left practicing against CPUs. I might take an interest in competitive for P:M.

Bumping to ask:

Was going to enter a Brawl Tourney last PAX, but couldn't make it in time for the registration. I'll probably consider it once I have a Wii U/3DS and the new Smash.

Back