PS3 Online Multiplayer Co-Op Game Recommendations

Ozy

Staff member
My poor PS3 sits flaccid and unused in my entertainment console. I would love to give it the attention such a machine so rightly deserves, but I am not nearly as familiar with PS3 titles as I am for say the PC or Xbox. If you would kindly list some of the best (your favorite) online co-op or multiplayer titles here and tell me why they are so great I would be greatly appreciative. I will consider all suggestions when purchasing games to play on the cast.

Edit: Obtained MAG. Look for me to be casting it.

My poor PS3 sits flaccid and unused in my entertainment console. I would love to give it the attention such a machine so rightly deserves, but I am not nearly as familiar with PS3 titles as I am for say the PC or Xbox. If you would kindly list some of the best (your favorite) online co-op or multiplayer titles here and tell me why they are so great I would be greatly appreciative. I will consider all suggestions when purchasing games to play on the cast.

Ollee approves of this post.

little big planet, call of duty 4mw, cod modern warfare 2, Warhawk, guitar hero/rockband franchise, burnout paradise, singstar, bomberman ultra, buzz quiz games, fat princess, gran turismo, high stakes poker, and wipeout hd

LBP -Because it is LBP and LBP is awesome. (and you already own this)
Resistance 2 - 60 person multiplayer. Full co-op campaign separate from single player
Killzone 2: Playstation's Halo. Gun physics are slightly annoying and sluggish

i would add to this list but i assume you only want PS3 exclusives and don't want sports games.

little big planet, call of duty 4mw, cod modern warfare 2, Warhawk, guitar hero/rockband franchise, burnout paradise, singstar, bomberman ultra, buzz quiz games, fat princess, gran turismo, high stakes poker, and wipeout hd

Have it, don't have, have it for 360, have it, do not want, good call, do not want, :-/, the Buzz Quiz games really?, soon to come, definitely, meh, have it

Resistance 2 - 60 person multiplayer. Full co-op campaign separate from single player
Killzone 2: Playstation's Halo. Gun physics are slightly annoying and sluggish

Good call on the Resistance 2. I remember someone telling me to pick it up. Maybe I will get around to Killzone 2 by the time KZ3 comes out :-p.

i would add to this list but i assume you only want PS3 exclusives and don't want sports games.

As long as it plays 'better' on the PS3 exclusivity does not matter. As per request, I am going to be getting MLB 2010 The Show soon.

As long as it plays 'better' on the PS3 exclusivity does not matter. As per request, I am going to be getting MLB 2010 The Show soon.

let me know when you get the show, i've been wanting to get that game too

I would have to suggest:

A) Resident Evil 5. Yes it is also a 360 title and if you've played it then disregard the suggestion :). However the reason I say RE5 is because you can play the entire story in co-op, and then you can play The Mercenaries (and it's DLC counterpart) which is highly addicting. I think the game is worth it just for The Mercenaries co-op. Also the two DLC campaigns are pretty good. The first "Lost in Nightmares" is sort of a throwback to the early RE games in that it's less shoot in the face and more puzzle solving and strategy. The second DLC "Desperate Escape" is pretty much the polar opposite of "Lost in Nightmares" and reverts to more action oriented game play. While sometimes it's semi-difficult to find a decent partner to play the with, I don't think it'll be an issue for a Team9k caster since I'm sure some viewers have the game (like me :)).

B) Army of Two. I haven't had a chance to pick up the second one yet but I've heard good things. Though, if the first is any indication it should be pretty good. Army of Two has very enjoyable co-op story mode. It doesn't have any other modes besides story but it has replay value in that you can approach levels in several different ways. You can have your partner draw enemy fire while you flank the enemies almost entirely unnoticed.

The downfall of both those games is that, like most games with "forced" co-op, if you don't have a human partner the game looses some of it's enjoyability because either the AI is a giant fail, they have terrible path finding (ie. straight through a group on enemies instead of around them), or the other common issues with AI partners. Though if you can find a partner they're definitely worth a look.

Another game that I enjoyed was Uncharted 2. They online co-op and multiplayer modes were both enjoyable for me. Though I haven't played as much as I would've liked.

Hopefully this helps you out in your game choice. Now enter the "omg you like RE5??!111! Fail!!11111" comments :D

RE5 is great! But both of those games are available on 360 also, and everyone has a 360 :saddd:

Apparently I am not everyone :-\ as I don't have a 360. Ok....actually I lied, I have one but it's busted. Which I guess isn't too big a surprise ;)

Buzz would be a lot better if there was voice chat. Burnout Paradise is good online depending on who you play with. Online games of the Show tend to be pretty laggy.

I'd go for uncharted 2. Wotalyzer and I both have it. As soon as my PS3 arrives in France we can get to it.

Was told to post here about ps3 related multiplayer titles and recommendations. Even though these are not exclusive to ps3 Red dead redemption's online is basically story mode with 16 people so it should be fun. Another game thats good on the ps3 is Super Street Fighter 4 just mainly for the competitive if you can get past the players that find joy in spamming 1 move and chain knock downs. Other than that i dont know of any other games specifically on the ps3.

16 player co-op? I won't be getting it for PS3, but now I'll DEFINITELY be getting it for 360.

oh i have ghostbusters on 360 and ps3, and i had a better online experience on ps3 over the 360 (ps a must have for any ghostbusters fans)

Back