PS3 vs Xbox 360 Thread

DaGamer12345

Like the title, this thread is just discussing the rivalry (and your side) between Xbox 360 and PS3. That being said, I am not trying to start a flamewar. Just pick a side and defend. (Also, please don't say "they both suck and pc>all, etc." And no "why not both" memes. That's kinda thread derailment)

Personally, I would pick PS3 because of free internetz. And lbp.

I'll preface this all with "In my opinion" since I couldn't be bothered to look this stuff up. Xbox 360 has a better online service, however, you must pay for it. PS3's hardware is slightly superior but is more difficult to code for than the Xbox 360. Really, it just comes down to personal preference. I played the original Xbox and loved it, and that is why I got an Xbox 360. Admittedly I haven't played it in months and stopped paying for xbox live. But I definitely got my moneys worth out of it, even if I had to get a 2nd one due to the red ring of death.

Recently, I have been wanting a PS3 simply because of all the fantastic first party content that has been released in the past couple of years. I just don't have the spare change for it.

I'll preface this all with "In my opinion" since I couldn't be bothered to look this stuff up. Xbox 360 has a better online service, however, you must pay for it. PS3's hardware is slightly superior but is more difficult to code for than the Xbox 360. Really, it just comes down to personal preference. I played the original Xbox and loved it, and that is why I got an Xbox 360. Admittedly I haven't played it in months and stopped paying for xbox live. But I definitely got my moneys worth out of it, even if I had to get a 2nd one due to the red ring of death.

Recently, I have been wanting a PS3 simply because of all the fantastic first party content that has been released in the past couple of years. I just don't have the spare change for it.
If you have an older xbox 360, you can fix the rrod yourself by popping the heatsink up (if you open a side cover, you will see an x shaped metal thingy). Really, youtube it for details.

If you have an older xbox 360, you can fix the rrod yourself by popping the heatsink up (if you open a side cover, you will see an x shaped metal thingy). Really, youtube it for details.

I tried several different fixes for my 360 and none of them were permanent. I would get the same problem shortly after the fix. And if I recall correctly, sending back to Microsoft to get it fixed wasn't a definite solution either. This was around 4 years ago so there isn't much to be said about it now.

My opinion is the same as BB's, yet in my 5 years of using the 360 i haven't received a RROD once. I will add that i personally prefer the 360 as i don't see $70 a year to be expensive yet i prefer the exclusives on the PlayStation consoles even though i'm a Halo fanboy myself.

Thread is irreverent. PC and Wii both stomp all over PS3, and XBOX.

Anyway. XBOX soley for online and Halo. The online community may suck (pre-pubescent kids yelling into the mic, "I WONZ UR BATL FUK U") but the features and overall presentation is better. Plus PS3 controllers completely suck.

I've grown up with ps1 and ps2 so it's a defo for ps3, however i do like xbox360 as well (note how i specifically said 360, cause the old one is an ungodly monument of crap(ugly and the controllers are unconfortable as hell))
saying that, i've long since grown out of consoles and game PC so yeah...

I'm finding the necessity of a console to fulfill one's gaming habits to be waning as time progresses. With the exception of a few console-exclusive titles, there is a siginificantly larger PC game library to choose from (since essentially ALL PCs are backwards compatible), and the PC itself is far more versatile than a console. Granted, the console makes for easier access to certain entertainment functions, with a little bit of tinkering, you can do the same with your PC. The only advantages consoles have over PCs are that they have massive backing from their manufacturers (I've never seen Microsoft pushing PC product like they do with their console), and they tend to get first/exclusive access to some of the bigger AAA title being made out there (which doesn't make sense to me, since exclusivity limits your market share. The benefits of "converting" people from one console to another is minimal, and just releasing it for all systems would make more sense, from a profit perspective).

With all that being said, I own a 360. The PS3 has had trouble from the very beginning to turn a profit and really stand out in the market for something other than a game console over the past few years. They (Sony) had the advantage when first it launched because of the built-in Blu-Ray, but now they're so cheap that it doesn't make much sense to buy a PS3 for 1/3rd more the cost of a decent Blu-Ray player. Microsfot has an advantage because they've got product already in the household (PCs) and are integrating their console to work with your computer to stream content throughout your house from either the PC or 360. Kinect also helps them, only slightly.

Why you don't even mention Nintendo in this thread baffles me and also disappoints me.

I'm finding the necessity of a console to fulfill one's gaming habits to be waning as time progresses. With the exception of a few console-exclusive titles, there is a siginificantly larger PC game library to choose from (since essentially ALL PCs are backwards compatible), and the PC itself is far more versatile than a console. Granted, the console makes for easier access to certain entertainment functions, with a little bit of tinkering, you can do the same with your PC. The only advantages consoles have over PCs are that they have massive backing from their manufacturers (I've never seen Microsoft pushing PC product like they do with their console), and they tend to get first/exclusive access to some of the bigger AAA title being made out there (which doesn't make sense to me, since exclusivity limits your market share. The benefits of "converting" people from one console to another is minimal, and just releasing it for all systems would make more sense, from a profit perspective).

With all that being said, I own a 360. The PS3 has had trouble from the very beginning to turn a profit and really stand out in the market for something other than a game console over the past few years. They (Sony) had the advantage when first it launched because of the built-in Blu-Ray, but now they're so cheap that it doesn't make much sense to buy a PS3 for 1/3rd more the cost of a decent Blu-Ray player. Microsfoot has an advantage because they've got product already in the household (PCs) and are integrating their console to work with your computer to stream content throughout your house from either the PC or 360. Kinect also helps them, only slightly.

Why you don't even mention Nintendo in this thread baffles me and also disappoints me.
I didn't mention Nintendo because it is basically nothing what most gamers want. Sure, I love the first party titles for the Wii, but there is no perks to online gaming like the Xbox 360 and PS3 have. No voice chat (let alone text chat), no universal friends list, a small online game library, etc. Yes, it does have one triumph with its controller, but thats mainly about it.

I didn't mention Nintendo because it is basically nothing what most gamers want. Sure, I love the first party titles for the Wii, but there is no perks to online gaming like the Xbox 360 and PS3 have. No voice chat (let alone text chat), no universal friends list, a small online game library, etc. Yes, it does have one triumph with its controller, but thats mainly about it.

Nevermind the fact that the Wii outsold the 360 AND PS3 almost since the day of its launch. Nevermind that Nintendo has some of the best first-party games to ever be created with some of the longest-lasting IPs of almost ANY developer. Nevermind that Nintendo has been the longest-running console developer. Nevermind that in spite of the Wii's shortcomings, it helped introduce entirely new segments of demographics to video gaming and only helped the other two console manufacturers as far as getting more sales for them in the long-run. Really, Nintendo essentially dominated this console cycle. They were late to the party, got all of the attention, and are still a profitable company, unlike other console manufacturers (*cough* SONY *cough-cough*). Really guy, just because the game doesn't have explosions and blood and boobs and a medium for you to take out your inner rage on other random people doesn't make it a less worthy system. The numbers show that it was worthy and did well.

Nevermind the fact that the Wii outsold the 360 AND PS3 almost since the day of its launch. Nevermind that Nintendo has some of the best first-party games to ever be created with some of the longest-lasting IPs of almost ANY developer. Nevermind that Nintendo has been the longest-running console developer. Nevermind that in spite of the Wii's shortcomings, it helped introduce entirely new segments of demographics to video gaming and only helped the other two console manufacturers as far as getting more sales for them in the long-run. Really, Nintendo essentially dominated this console cycle. They were late to the party, got all of the attention, and are still a profitable company, unlike other console manufacturers (*cough* SONY *cough-cough*). Really guy, just because the game doesn't have explosions and blood and boobs and a medium for you to take out your inner rage on other random people doesn't make it a less worthy system. The numbers show that it was worthy and did well.
I did mention 1st party games. And I hate games that have have explosions and blood and boobs and a medium for you to take out your inner rage on other random people. And yes, you have a point. All I'm saying is that I left the wii out because it was irrelevant. Mainly because 1. Its success dominated Sony and Microsoft and 2. It doesn't have all the perks that come with PS3 and Xbox 360.
Basically, the PS3 and Xbox 360 are the same hardware (Yes, i am aware of the PS3's blue-ray and Xbox 360's <insert difference here>) bundled up in a different case. The wii, however, is not.

I still fail to see how you can have discussion about consoles without mentioning Nintendo. Sony and MS scrambled (almost quite literally) to make new hardware to compete with Nintendo and take some sales from them due to their innovative and new take on gaming. The Wii has several perks that MS and Sony do not have, and discounting them like that is ignorant considering the HUGE influence they had this console generation and the next one.

Really and truly, this whole discussion is moot at this point and time in these console's ages. The Wii has been replaced by the WiiU (which works to alleviate and fix almost every major qualm gamers had with the first console), and Sony and MS are expected to announce their new consoles before the end of the year, maybe even before E3 (June). We might as well be debating whether leeches or wort would be the better cure for smallpox.

Really guy, just because the game doesn't have explosions and blood and boobs and a medium for you to take out your inner rage on other random people doesn't make it a less worthy system.
I found myself agreeing with you until this point. Boobs and inner rage are all the reason humans exist.

That being said I own a PS3 though I've not been using it frequently. XBox or PS3? Neither. PC and handheld consoles are where my money's at.

Dreamcast
I was recently introduced to Shenmue I & II, needless to say, it's now one of my favorite series of all time.

Ok, enough thread derailing. Here's my opinion:
I really agree with Moonedoggy's points, seeing as Nintendo, despite the hardware, has had amazing releases within the Wii's lifespan.
A few examples being Xenoblade, Monster Hunter Tri, Super Smash Bros Brawl, No More Heros, Okami, etc...

I own a PS3 (with no decent online play), and I love it. Whether I'm playing Dark Souls or Yakuza, I'm never disappointed with the quality of these games on the system and have definitely got my money's worth out of it.

Although, with the advent of the 3DS and its amassing titles, I'm going to shovel some money out for one of those. :D
Also, PC = Versatility = Greatness.

Back