Purchasing a monitor

Skryter

Hey guys, I'm currently in the process of saving up to build a new computer. The first item on the agenda is, you guessed it, a monitor. My budget is around $300 AUD and 120hz would be ideal.

I'm currently considering purchasing the ASUS VG248QE, however I'd like your opinions first before I commit to a purchase. http://www.newegg.com/global/au/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236313.

Cheers in advance.

Edit: I've decided not to worry about in-built speakers on the monitor, per Crane's and Lacar's advice, as they will be entirely redundant.

Usually has to do with market balance between adding extra features while keeping the price competitive with other comparable models that don't have those extra features. Adding extra features like speakers on a monitor will raise the price, no question about that. But then they have to bring the price back down to make it competitive, and that usually results in a degradation of quality of both the monitor and the speaker. If you want high quality of both features, the price may exceed that if you had just gotten a high quality monitor and high quality speakers separately.

All of this is just conjecture on my part, so be sure to prove me wrong and do your research. Compare the specs of this monitor against other monitors with the same specs but no speakers, and check the prices. Same for the speakers. Would you consider the specs of this monitor-speaker combo to be high-quality, or otherwise would the specs be worth the price they're asking? Really do the research for this; don't rely on the product overview and reviews for these questions.

Also, what would happen if either the speakers or the monitor breaks down? You would need to replace the whole thing. Check reliability reviews on multiple sites, particularly the negative reviews. See what other people have said about this monitor. Be sure to ignore their opinions and look for instances of monitor discoloration, flicker, eye-strain, etc. as well as speaker fidelity, etc. Does the percentage of negative reviews seem to align with the manufacturer's statistical distribution of defect products? Is that statistical distribution higher than you're comfortable with?

I've got a ASUS VG248QE and love it. Buttery smooth gameplay amd good color for TN Panel. I was originally thinking of going with an overlocked Overlord IPS panel monitor, really glad I saved the money and went with this instead. Colors definitely need some tuning out of the box and I just turn off the internal speaker. Freaked me out the first time I was using DisplayPort and turned off my speakers and still heard music. Thought it was the neighbors until I realized it was coming from the monitor. Planning on replacing my other 2 monitors with two more of these pretty soon.

If you do go with the monitor, I'd suggest the following ICM profile (depending on your video card):
Nvidia - https://pcmonitors.info/icc/ASUS VG248QE Nvidia.icm
AMD - https://pcmonitors.info/icc/ASUS VG248QE AMD.icm

Just thought I'd provide an update, I've decided on my initial choice. After testing the monitor in store along with alternatives, I was satisfied with the quality of the monitor.

I'd like to thank anyone who provided advice, and alternative options to choose from.

Back