Question for all you band nerds out there

Squirley_Guy

Hey guys, I am wanting to attempt to join DCI in a few years, I still have a while as the corps I want to join (the Cavaliers) accept people up to 22 years old and I'm 15. Being a woodwind player (specifically, clarinet, bass clarinet, alto sax and bari sax), if any of you guys know, what would be the easiest brass instrument to switch to? I have played around on tuba, and I'm kinda leaning towards that, but if anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. If you think it would be possible, I would LOVE to play either marching snare or quads. Any suggestions/ comments would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!

I used to play trombone. It's a fairly easy to pick up instrument... But not physically. I wouldn't recommend it unless you're fairly tall.

But I still say answer (c): guitar.

Damn.

Well, I'll suggest the euphonium, as it's hipster cred, and fun to play.

There are tubas, trombones, and trumpets in my band. One of my friends switched to a tuba last year and he is enjoying it. The trumpet is really awesome to play though. I would say either the tuba or the trumpet:D

Being a woodwind musician myself, I would suggest you stay with an instrument that your ear is sort of accustomed to. Since you're already playing a few instrument out of the clarinet family, I would recommend you go with another Bb instrument. In your case I would probably go with trumpet, it is going to help you the most with your woodwind playing, too.

I played tuba and it is heavy as shit if you are marching. Take it from me, get something lighter like a baritone or trombone. Baritone is probably easiest.

Back