Question on Latex Masks

Okay, so little note bout me: I am a Michael Jackson impersonator. Just an amateur one, but one all the same. Now I have been exploring different ways of changing my appearance to get his face (no plastic surgery jokes please — its offensive to me and him). Its either make up, which, after my first time using it last year for a musical, vowed to never use again, or a latex mask. I, obviously by the title, chose a mask. Now my question is this: Would it be possible to create a mold of Michael Jackson's face made of Reinforced Polyurethane Resin and use it like any old latex mask? Like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Michael-Jac...535?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e7634726f

Once again, no rude comments please. I just need to know if applying the oil based clay and then applying the liquid latex would be safe to use and produce good results. And dont just say google it, cause I have.

Thanks in advance!

-Wolf

Yes you could, easily. Currently making an iron man helmet using the same stuff, but nonetheless, it's easier than it looks. The hardest part would be getting it to look like his face. After that, east peasy.

yes. though because the clay is oil based, you will have some wicked acne.
no problems there -.- this is what i get for going through puberty lol

Yes you could, easily. Currently making an iron man helmet using the same stuff, but nonetheless, it's easier than it looks. The hardest part would be getting it to look like his face. After that, east peasy.
thanks for the answer mate! haha sooo glad ive joined art club. ill spend most of my time working on this owo

no problems there -.- this is what i get for going through puberty lol

thanks for the answer mate! haha sooo glad ive joined art club. ill spend most of my time working on this owo

Be glad you finally found something! I'm currently working on a full iron man costume, pepakura style for halloween :D

never mind you dont. DERP xD im new to this, but this will definitely help. my friend is a big friend so im performing for her lol.

What I might suggest.... Make a clay mold of your face using clay. Have it very thin. Get a mold of micheal jackson's face, coat the front of MJ's face with resin, and the back of your face mold with resin. Remove clay, attach them together while using somekind of bonding material, and voila. Pant and you're done!

What I might suggest.... Make a clay mold of your face using clay. Have it very thin. Get a mold of micheal jackson's face, coat the front of MJ's face with resin, and the back of your face mold with resin. Remove clay, attach them together while using somekind of bonding material, and voila. Pant and you're done!
thats not a bad idea :) ill think about that.

Not normally. When I form the latex, I use the clay to get a mold of my face, so the mask fits better on my head.
I use a two-part mold, unlike most people.
ok just reassuring myself :p

Do you think you could go into a tad more detail? I kind of get what you are saying but i am more of a set in stone direction follower xD

EDIT
Oh and one more thing, wouldnt it be easier just to do the armature of his head? Plus im doing his WHOLE HEAD, not just his face (im going to sew a wig on to it :p)

eww, latex is a poor choice for a full-head mask. The main reason, of course, being you sweat and it sits inside the mask, with nowhere to go, and then it starts to stink, and the latex absorbs the scent, and all your hard work needs to be thrown away now because stinky. might I suggest making a frontal mask out of latex, and the rest of it just wig, rather than a full mask of latex with wig on top?

eww, latex is a poor choice for a full-head mask. The main reason, of course, being you sweat and it sits inside the mask, with nowhere to go, and then it starts to stink, and the latex absorbs the scent, and all your hard work needs to be thrown away now because stinky. might I suggest making a frontal mask out of latex, and the rest of it just wig, rather than a full mask of latex with wig on top?
i guess >.< i just would prefer a full head mask... do you know of any other material that fits your face like latex but wouldnt get stinky?

i guess >.< i just would prefer a full head mask... do you know of any other material that fits your face like latex but wouldnt get stinky?
not really. facepaint lol

You can still have the latex, but you'll be attaching the wig to the edges of the frontal mask rather than sewing it directly into the "skull" of the full head mask.

i guess i could just use a two part mold

Sure, I'll do full detail.

Use some kind of material to make a mold of your face. Make it paper mache, clay, whatever. Coat the back side, the side that touches your face with fiberglass resin. Get a mold or model of MJ's face that is slightly bigger than yours, or the same. Bigger is preferable. Make yet another fiberglass resin layer on the FRONT side of MJ's face, the side where his face sticks out. Take the resin off of both molds. Get the two face molds as close as you can, and use something, I do not know what, to fill between the molds, in order to make them stick together. From there, do the same thing but on the back of your head, and repeat.

Sure, I'll do full detail.

Use some kind of material to make a mold of your face. Make it paper mache, clay, whatever. Coat the back side, the side that touches your face with fiberglass resin. Get a mold or model of MJ's face that is slightly bigger than yours, or the same. Bigger is preferable. Make yet another fiberglass resin layer on the FRONT side of MJ's face, the side where his face sticks out. Take the resin off of both molds. Get the two face molds as close as you can, and use something, I do not know what, to fill between the molds, in order to make them stick together. From there, do the same thing but on the back of your head, and repeat.
Thanks! I'll try this when I get the materials ^^ Only one question, what difference does this make?

Back