Radio from my dads computer?

fox_news

recently my dads 10 year old computer started picking up radio shows like ESPN sports or some religious shows where they shout at you about god and shit. we have done everything to find out where it was coming from. we even disconnected the internet and we still had it playing through the speakers, but the one thing that was the most weird was that i was able to control the volume ON the windows volume control panel. it was coming from the MP3 line. i need your guys help to find out how to stop this madness!

recently my dads 10 year old computer started picking up radio shows like ESPN sports or some religious shows where they shout at you about god and shit. we have done everything to find out where it was coming from. we even disconnected the internet and we still had it playing through the speakers, but the one thing that was the most weird was that i was able to control the volume ON the windows volume control panel. it was coming from the MP3 line. i need your guys help to find out how to stop this madness!

Restart your computer, trust me restarting a computer does alot... Also if that doesn't work make sure that there is no metal near your computer, that could also pick up lines. Just let it cool for an hour or two.

The speakers are probably cheap and the shielding on the board / wires is inadequate. It has nothing to do with your computer. This occurs for the same reason that you can occasionally hear GSM blips through your speakers when you get a text message.

You can either replace the speakers, turn down the volume, move the wires and speakers away from open air / power wires, or as a last resort, you may be able to improve the shielding with aluminum foil or something else (unlikely).

This is common - your computer wires are turning into an AM radio antenna. Usually it's your speaker wires or the sound card is not well shielded. I used to receive CB radio (truckers and fire/police) on one of my old computers because the speakers were crap.

Normally religious channels are too cheap to be on FM, and I know for sure that sports talk channels like ESPN Radio are almost always on AM radio.

Does it really work like that?
Last time I saw an fm/am radio it wasn't just an antenna and a speaker...
someone of greater knowledge please elaborate...

Does it really work like that?
Last time I saw an fm/am radio it wasn't just an antenna and a speaker...
someone of greater knowledge please elaborate...

Radio receivers also contain tuning circuits/filters and amplification circuits. you can pick up radio broadcasts with just an antenna and a speaker (small earpiece speaker). An antenna can just be a piece of wire. ;)

Swap the speakers for a different sound device. If this occurs on a different set of speakers then the problem is your computer. If this does not happen with a different set of speakers then the problem is most likely these speakers.

Back