RAM Question

Pasaria

I'm looking to upgrade my RAM, but it's been a while since I've looked at any. Will something like this work? One of my current sticks is below.

2ZfvGe3.jpg

Whether you have an Intel or AMD cpu doesn't matter, they both use the same industry standards for pretty much everything (memory, SATA, USB, etc.) so the memory would work regardless - just need to make sure you get the right pin-size. Based on your picture, it looks like you've got DDR3 - what you'd want to look for, generally, is a matching speed - PC3-8500 - any brand should work.

Literally any 204-Pin DDR3 memory will work (including the one you linked).

DDR3 is backward and forward compatible when it comes to SPEED, up to the maximum defined by your motherboard. The old memory in your photo has a "speed" of 1066Mhz, the memory you linked to has a "speed" of 1333Mhz. If your motherboard has a maximum memory speed of 1066, and you put in 1333 memory, it will run at 1066. Ultimately, the speed increase won't be very noticeable on a laptop, so anything 1066 or above should be fine.

Note that you do NOT need to find a matching module, as mentioned in the above post, only the pinout matters. Also, please beware that MIXING ram modules is a bad idea (if your motherboard has two slots, you should only use one or two sticks of the same thing).

Literally any 204-Pin DDR3 memory will work (including the one you linked).

DDR3 is backward and forward compatible when it comes to SPEED, up to the maximum defined by your motherboard. The old memory in your photo has a "speed" of 1066Mhz, the memory you linked to has a "speed" of 1333Mhz. If your motherboard has a maximum memory speed of 1066, and you put in 1333 memory, it will run at 1066. Ultimately, the speed increase won't be very noticeable on a laptop, so anything 1066 or above should be fine.

Note that you do NOT need to find a matching module, as mentioned in the above post, only the pinout matters. Also, please beware that MIXING ram modules is a bad idea (if your motherboard has two slots, you should only use one or two sticks of the same thing).
On that note, why is mixing RAM a bad idea? I want to know the technological explanation

On that note, why is mixing RAM a bad idea? I want to know the technological explanation

For ram to run at its optimal speed, it is designed to run at a specific clock rate and voltage. You motherboard runs all ram sticks at the same clock rate and voltage, so there is no way to run them both at optimal settings if they have different requirements.

Back