• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

rules of housing protection

stuart1996

hey. recently ive been having a minor griefing problem in ep and a major one in outlands. i was wondering if i could put in a home protection system that will kill the attempting griefer. i mean that if he takes out a block it will trigger a trap that will kill him/her and incinerate all their items so that i cant steal them. is this allowed. because i really hate greifers and honestly they deserve death.

It's your house. If you happen to line the walls with lava and someone is dumb enough to try to go through the wall instead of a door, then yeah, it's OK. That's my opinion. If someone were to complain about being burned to death because of this, it'd be hard for them to justify why they had gone through a wall in your house.

Well, if you have some redstone and volatile materials, there's no end to the traps you can make. However, all good traps require a lot of effort and experimentation.

One idea is to surround the outside of your house with stone pressure plates that are wired to TNT. Unless you step on a certain plate (that only you know) the moat blows up.

If you want to be fair and make sure you can't collect the items, you could make a moat out of trapdoors that can be opened and shut using Redstone wiring. You could place lava at the bottom so if a griefer walks out and tries to attack your house, they fall into the lava pit and burn.

There are many traps you could make - it's whatever's best for your situation. With your idea of removing a block to start a chain reaction... It's a good idea, but also complicated. You could make it that a block is secretly wired with Redstone to form part of a circuit. (You could have the wiring on your side of the house so greifers can't see it.) When the block is destroyed, the circuit is 'tripped'. You build a circuit where having an incomplete circuit triggers the reaction, and the power keeps it going. For example, when the circuit is tripped, power that was keeping a steel door open (for example - that was pretty poor, but there are other things it could be running) closes it, and a chain reaction ultimately ending in griefer death would occur due to this.

It would probably be O.K. to make a trap - but probably only in the Outlands. Remember! When you work with TNT or lava, be careful where you place it, or you could have catastrophic outcomes.

Hope this was useful,
Vorsprung

YEAH. IM PRO AT MAKING TRAPS BUT I DONT WANNA BREAK THE RULES. sorry for caps. but in minetopia one time i was testing a dinomite trap. ( i know it doesnt break stuff.) and killed xam who was griefing. ( hes a real life friend so its cool) and everyone started raging at me and i was just like. FU. but for like ec or ep where i keep my mansions and very thought out homes i dont want them griefs so i want to protect them and have that house that people are like. "oh shit prof, dont go in there, stuart will blow you up then send his army of wolves to rape your corpse." or "no james, you get the shit blown outa you then be half drowned only to burn up in lava."
i think ive made my point

Look, the best thing to do is to ask someone experienced on the Beta server. I ahven't had too much experience on the Team9k survival server, so ask around and ask one of the higher-ups. It shouldn't be a problem, unless you are in a designated non-PvP area.
Just remember - ask before you do.

You could make your house underground, but I wouldn't. There is so many things that could happen, like,

- Having a random tunneler come into your house and wreck it and blow it up.
- Having a person come down there, put lava into it, and seal the entrance off, so next time you come in you'll be dead.
- Noises of creepers, spiders, zombies all over the place.
- Not knowing the time of day (Morning, Midday, and Night)
- Not having the satisfaction of stalking people when they walk by :)

You could make your house underground, but I wouldn't. There is so many things that could happen, like,

- Having a person come down there, put lava into it, and seal the entrance off, so next time you come in you'll be dead.

Yes... the ambience is freaky... A way around the time of day problem is to make a 'skylight', like this...
Tunnel upwards till you reach the surface. Place a glass block over the top of the shaft. (You can make the shaft just one block wide, but make it bigger to suit.)

Now, I can hear you saying: "That makes it easy for griefers to attack!" Well, I'm not done.

Directly below the skylight, dig a pit 5 blocks down, or where abouts. It is important that it is directly under the skylight. Fill the pit with lava, and make the walls out of obsidian (if you can - but you don't have to).

This means that if a griefer decides to drop in for a visit, he or she will plunge into the lava and suffer an untimely death. To make sure by some stroke of luck that they move out away from the pit whilst falling, make a rim out of fences and have a low ceiling. That way, they can't land on the edge and run about.

This means you can see the sky, obtain light during the day, and make a nice little griefer trap to boot. The only trick is building it so you don't fall in. When you build the rim, make sure it doesn't obstruct the view of the skylight, and thus defeat the purpose of the build.

Hope that was useful... but please, don't plagiarise.
VORSPRUNG

Yes... the ambience is freaky... A way around the time of day problem is to make a 'skylight', like this...
Tunnel upwards till you reach the surface. Place a glass block over the top of the shaft. (You can make the shaft just one block wide, but make it bigger to suit.)

Now, I can hear you saying: "That makes it easy for griefers to attack!" Well, I'm not done.

Directly below the skylight, dig a pit 5 blocks down, or where abouts. It is important that it is directly under the skylight. Fill the pit with lava, and make the walls out of obsidian (if you can - but you don't have to).

This means that if a griefer decides to drop in for a visit, he or she will plunge into the lava and suffer an untimely death. To make sure by some stroke of luck that they move out away from the pit whilst falling, make a rim out of fences and have a low ceiling. That way, they can't land on the edge and run about.

This means you can see the sky, obtain light during the day, and make a nice little griefer trap to boot. The only trick is building it so you don't fall in. When you build the rim, make sure it doesn't obstruct the view of the skylight, and thus defeat the purpose of the build.

Hope that was useful... but please, don't plagiarise.
VORSPRUNG

Lol, I would be too lazy to do any of that ._.

I aways get Tools like torches and build with 'em so yeah all those Tips don't matter to me

There is one advantage of building underground. You need far less blocks to build the structure. You just have to use the walls of your cavern, or pit, or cave, or whatever, and build up over the gaps. With the advent of trapdoors, it has become even easier.

There is one advantage of building underground. You need far less blocks to build the structure. You just have to use the walls of your cavern, or pit, or cave, or whatever, and build up over the gaps. With the advent of trapdoors, it has become even easier.
Protips abound in this thread, those are some really interesting ways to build a house and kill at the same time, genius! Might take some of those tips in the future.
If you want every single block in and around your house safe: Make any lockable item and use cprivate and lwc -p persist and put it around the inside wall of your house, griefers can destroy the first outside wall, but not the rest.
This might not make much sense via text, so I might post a picture in paint or something.

You are calling me a genius? Thankyou... I guess I am :trollface:

That's a good idea that you've got there, Captain - if you make a house out of chests, people can't destroy it at all. Neither can they 'force the door'. By that I mean that if you make a locked door but the walls are destructable, griefers can destroy the wall and bypass the door. However, to do that menas you need a helluva lot of wooden planks. But i guess you'll never run out of storage space :D
So yeah.... Thanks!

ok. one im pretty experienced in beta. and i just wanted to know if i could make an agressive non griefer house. i already have plans for it. like all the contraptions and they not only work but are very frusterating. i made one that is half fire half water so the go into the water to cool down but then step on a pressure plate and it adds more water pushing them back into the fire/lava

It's a lot easier to use cobblestone and just make locked furnaces. Make a bunch of stone picks, mine for an hour, you get 16+ stacks of cobble plus whatever valuables you find, and it all goes according to plan! Also locking all of the furnaces isn't that hard when you use this:

/lwc -p persist (will put you into persist mode, meaning you won't have to retype your next lock-related commands); should only be used by experienced players, forgetting to turn it off is problematic
/lwc -r modes (turns persist mode off; it's a little glitchy, you may have to enter it twice)
I copied this off the Wiki. I don't remember If you have to type /cprivate before or after you use /lwc -p persist, just try it out and see for yourself!

To stuart: Can't you just slowly walk through water though? Even if you catch on fire, the water will put it out. Not to mention fire touching lava creates cobblestone...

So there's no way to walk through the water, I might just like to see this for myself, but I don't want to try it out if it does work...

It sounds a bit improbable.... I'd just make a house out of obsidian, make an outer layer out of cobblestone (leaving a gap between the two layers), and just pour in some lava. Easy! Or even better, do that in conjunction with my skylight plan.

Back