• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

/rules sign

hi awesome+'s.

i went onto the server this evening and realized that when you spawn the /rules sign is kind of off to the side. i also noticed that a big chunk of our guests ask about what it says when you type it. (this means they did NOT see or type it) i was wondering if it could be moved to a more head on location. such as literally 15 blocks ahead of them about 15 blocks in the air. i believe this would stop wasting the cool+'s time on answering questions and start saving time spent building or doing other more important things. if one of you guys likes this idea we could try it and if it doesnt work we can abort it.

thanks for your help!

— potatoZMaster

Awesome's do not really have the power to make such a decision as this. I would suggest sending a PM to the Epic ranked players about this.
If you make a thread about a problem in classic there is a big chance NONE of them will see it.

Awesome's do not really have the power to make such a decision as this. I would suggest sending a PM to the Epic ranked players about this.
If you make a thread about a problem in classic there is a big chance NONE of them will see it.

Oh, we see it.

Also, if I remember correctly, the sign used to be directly in front, but people still refused to recognize it, so we moved it to the side for the sake of organization. If any epic+ can elaborate please do so, as my memory is crap. If that is not the case, than we will discuss it and possibly move it.

It's not that they don't see it, it's just they don't care. I think I played on this server for a week before figuring out how to join the guest world where I could build. I don't think I tried /rules for months! I saw the sign...I just didn't care for the rules. What is really needed is a portal with a "Guest" sign above it. Maybe once you spawn in guest the chat automatically shows /rules.

I remember being utterly confused when I first joined , and overwhelmed. If it is your first time ever playing it's like nothing you've ever done before and so there is a lot to take in. The whole "guests-don't-read-signs" issue has been going on since I first started. I was one of them. It'll never go away. We all just have to remember we were all there once.

Also, Casey already said it, but I'll reiterate: We see it.

I don't understand why people don't care. I was drastically overwhelmed, but as soon as I saw instruction I held on to that scrap of direction in the sea of relative chaos....and I said /rules

After about 30 seconds, I was already helping other new players out.

While you're joining:
rules.png

When you join:

screenshot_20121214235819.png

I don't think it's our problem if they don't read it.

I believe it was said that we shouldn't make it easier, because easier = more grief.
Only the people with dedication to play will make it through.

I remember I didn't ask for any help, except the occasional water or lava when I was guest. And look where I am now! Im a builder, patrolling the peoplez and pointing out grief!

Here is the thing from my perspective.

Me being the most active Engineer over the past couple of months, I have noticed a few things.

Whenever I ask someone to type "/rules", they usually dismiss it as nonsense and continue pestering me on how to build. I again tell them to read rules, and they don't, simply because they think it doesn't tell them how to build or rank.

In response to Patch's screencaps, it doesn't say "Type /rules to learn how to rank or build!" but rather, "Type /rules!", and the newcomers will dismiss it as a silly set of rules that doesn't really get any point concerning building or ranking across. As a result of Main existing, I deal with hundreds of guests asking how to build or rank, and they all get the same answer at the end of the day. Sadly, a whole lot more people would hang around if only they could do anything beyond socializing with others within Main, because more often than not, there are much more people in Main than there are in Guest. Also, they may not relate the "/rules" command with the server, because it doesn't list any incentive or reason as to why anyone should type "/rules". On top of that, loads of cursing / trolling guests rise from their frustration of not being able to build or do anything, and every single time I have seen someone say something along the lines of, "This server fucking sucks, I'm leaving", they are in Main, and I have to coax them to stay by typing "/rules".

Conclusion? I don't really think the rules sign does a single thing.

Just my two cents, whatever it's worth if anything.

Maybe if the loading screen is changed from just having "type /rules" to something like "Type /rules for building information" there would be enough of an incentive to use the command.

Me being the most active Engineer over the past couple of months, I have noticed a few things.

Whenever I ask someone to type "/rules", they usually dismiss it as nonsense and continue pestering me on how to build. I again tell them to read rules, and they don't, simply because they think it doesn't tell them how to build or rank.

In response to Patch's screencaps, it doesn't say "Type /rules to learn how to rank or build!" but rather, "Type /rules!", and the newcomers will dismiss it as a silly set of rules that doesn't really get any point concerning building or ranking across. As a result of Main existing, I deal with hundreds of guests asking how to build or rank, and they all get the same answer at the end of the day. Sadly, a whole lot more people would hang around if only they could do anything beyond socializing with others within Main, because more often than not, there are much more people in Main than there are in Guest. Also, they may not relate the "/rules" command with the server, because it doesn't list any incentive or reason as to why anyone should type "/rules". On top of that, loads of cursing / trolling guests rise from their frustration of not being able to build or do anything, and every single time I have seen someone say something along the lines of, "This server ****** sucks, I'm leaving", they are in Main, and I have to coax them to stay by typing "/rules".

Probably shouldn't use too horrible language there, Sas

In response to Patch's screencaps, it doesn't say "Type /rules to learn how to rank or build!" but rather, "Type /rules!", and the newcomers will dismiss it as a silly set of rules that doesn't really get any point concerning building or ranking across. As a result of Main existing, I deal with hundreds of guests asking how to build or rank, and they all get the same answer at the end of the day. Sadly, a whole lot more people would hang around if only they could do anything beyond socializing with others within Main, because more often than not, there are much more people in Main than there are in Guest. Also, they may not relate the "/rules" command with the server, because it doesn't list any incentive or reason as to why anyone should type "/rules". On top of that, loads of cursing / trolling guests rise from their frustration of not being able to build or do anything, and every single time I have seen someone say something along the lines of, "This server fucking sucks, I'm leaving", they are in Main, and I have to coax them to stay by typing "/rules".

As Shredex said, there is absolutely no obligation to try to get people to understand if they can't figure out. They are considered a lost cause. Do you really want the people who can't even figure out how to read the rules in the Guest world?

Surprised Tofurkey hasn't responded to this yet :D. There has always been issues with people basically demanding to be quoted the rules vs reading it themselves, the sign has been updated quite a few times, this latest edition has the platform guests can go up to even get a 'better' view of it. Needless to say you can put "Caution Hot!" everywhere and anywhere on a coffee pot and people will still be burned...

And as others have said, having /rules show up in the beginning login takes out some of the importance of finding dedicated people who will go out of their way to figure out our server.

~Bored

Back