Sim City Closed Beta!!!

Bored

Finally received invite for the closed beta! Haven't gotten into it yet, but when I get home I'm totally having at this game like a boss. Will also be looking into if they've implemented the Multiplayer Region system and I'll be more then happy to get something setup for our other T9k'ers who'd like to play together on the same region :).

~Bored

More news later on!

Tell me how much the DRM and origin integration fucks it up.

Or if they dont affect it as much and it's actually good.

Good news: I got into the Closed Beta.

Bad news #1: I agreed to a nondisclosure agreement when I signed up.

Bad news #2: When I went to install origin I noticed in the EULA (Yes, I read the 200 page EULAs unless the company has earned my trust) that I must give them Root on my system and give them rights to do anything they want with data they collected. Therefor I declined the EULA and can't install Origin.

Bad news #3: I can't install simcity without Origin :(

Bad news #2: When I went to install origin I noticed in the EULA (Yes, I read the 200 page EULAs unless the company has earned my trust) that I must give them Root on my system and give them rights to do anything they want with data they collected. Therefor I declined the EULA and can't install Origin.
This is why I don't want Origin on my computer

And I want to slap the people that tell me to get it.

I was satisfied as well. Gameplay was smooth, didn't go bankrupt like I usually do starting out on these. Amount of control with the buildings was pretty damn awesome, I mean seriously upgrades to the buildings was sweeeet. Graphics work still needs a bit done to touch up some loose ends. Tilt-shift camera aspect was amazing to be implemented, I believe graphics render will be better at release to improve on detailing. Interactions between yourself and your sims seems like less of a hassle vs Simcity 4 setup. Overall I would buy this when it comes out, but still variant on price due to budget.

~Bored

I'm actually never buying Sim City if Origin is a must.

Fuck you EA, I don't want spyware on my computer. You have lost a customer. (Not that they care whatsoever.)

I think someone on r/gaming summed it up pretty well. With all the DRM and overhead behind Origin, they're almost asking longtime fans to pirate the game. The Maxis developers themselves seem to recognize how the community is reacting, and I truly feel bad for them...

Honestly the "Always-on" policy doesn't bother me with DRM, I mean for the most part I'd be enjoying building in an online region anyways so it shouldn't be a hindrance to gameplay. Now if they tried to push the limited installation scenario that was implemented during Spore, we could see a repeat of the pirating fiasco that took place with that (not likely since I'm sure they learned some lessons...)

Needless to say, they are trying to protect their property and I can respect that as many game companies are having to do other routes to make sure that games are actually turning a profit rather than someone cracks the game and they lose millions in potential 'legal' revenue (as well as it protects the fanbase from receiving flawed/malicious cracks.)

Honestly the "Always-on" policy doesn't bother me with DRM, I mean for the most part I'd be enjoying building in an online region anyways so it shouldn't be a hindrance to gameplay. Now if they tried to push the limited installation scenario that was implemented during Spore, we could see a repeat of the pirating fiasco that took place with that (not likely since I'm sure they learned some lessons...)

Needless to say, they are trying to protect their property and I can respect that as many game companies are having to do other routes to make sure that games are actually turning a profit rather than someone cracks the game and they lose millions in potential 'legal' revenue (as well as it protects the fanbase from receiving flawed/malicious cracks.)

... is exactly why they do it. God forbid a corporation wants to turn a profit.

Back