Smartphone+Lego=Worlds fastest Rubik's Cube Solver

moondoggy23

I read this article the other day about how someone built a machine using Lego, and an Android OS smartphone to create the world's fastest Rubik's Cube solver. Basically, the phone scans the sides of the cube to see where the different colored blocks are located. It then runs an algorithim on the phone to determine the most efficient way to solve the cube. It then send the data to the LEGO NXT brick through a blue tooth device, which then manipulates the cube to its solution. The link has two video showing the machine in action, and one of the fastest human Rubik's Cubers in action as well, and the machine wins out by a margin of 0.3 seconds.

the 0.3 seconds is probably just the factor of limited reaction time due to human reflexes...
that is one dexterous robot/lego

one of the comments:
I call hoax. The robot actually specializes in looking busy to the observer while it's really just peeling the stickers and rearranging them in the right order.

To be fair, if you watch the phone closely. It spends the first 1.5 seconds "scanning" all six sides. It HAS to do this to begin the algorithm, then you notice the program that solves takes over for the other 4 seconds. If it did not count the scan, it would be only about 2.8-3.5 seconds. Still amazing.

I like how it absorbs the cube, solves, and spits out.

If I am correct that contraption would cost about $1833.96 + application development + time to construct + plus electricity [:)]

Back