Software Project Idea

mikeymagic

I need to think of a software project idea for half a year of work;

Ideas?

Please don't troll this.

An ultimate web browser? Falls into the category of "software project idea", right? So far, the big 3 alternative choices (Opera, Chrome, Firefox) all have their individual strengths and weaknesses, but nobody has really seemed to want to put their strengths together and create the best web browser possible...ambitious, but if you pull it off you just might become one of the most famous people on the internet :D

More reasonably, I think that your general process should look like this:

1) Take a piece of software you use often (or is niche, but very useful at what it does)
2) Ask yourself - has this software been developed to work in the optimal fashion? (you'd be surprised how much software isn't). This can mean a lot of different things, but just do your best to find stuff that you, as a user, find unnecessarily annoying (or even necessarily).
3) With the basic idea of the software's function in mind, start from the ground up redesigning it to do without these flaws.

Take the mega-popular Starcraft II stream-viewing service "Warp Prism" (now dubbed TeeVox) for instance. Justin.tv and Livestream already offered a decent viewing experience. But each had their limitations, so a lone programmer set out with to create his dream stream-viewing experience, and succeeded brilliantly.
I am Ustulo, and I approve of this message.

I already thought of this and I have a really cool idea on how I would love to do this (using webkit ofcourse), however the project /is/ huge...
Huge, difficult, but what is you actually create the worlds best browser?
Make it have a funny name too.

Do you know how to go about programming something like that? I know for firefox and chrome, there is a team of engineers that are constantly working on and updating these browsers. I am sure you could make one but don't expect it to compete with the big browsers. Is this for a school project?

You should code a program which associates it's self with playlist files, and plays them using the lowest amount of resources possible. This would be particularly useful with internet radio stations. Use of media keys would be required (mostly for the pause function).

If you're eventually interested in making some money off of this, you could potentially make custom builds of this for websites. I.e. when you download the .exe file for that particular website and run it, it automatically plays their station, and only their station. You could also come up with some sort of push notification system for ads if you were going to sell out in such away. The idea of a custom build android/ios for something like this wouldn't be out of the question either.

You should code a program which associates it's self with playlist files, and plays them using the lowest amount of resources possible. This would be particularly useful with internet radio stations. Use of media keys would be required (mostly for the pause function).

If you're eventually interested in making some money off of this, you could potentially make custom builds of this for websites. I.e. when you download the .exe file for that particular website and run it, it automatically plays their station, and only their station. You could also come up with some sort of push notification system for ads if you were going to sell out in such away. The idea of a custom build android/ios for something like this wouldn't be out of the question either.
Crane, You're a genius. +100 Ginger points for you.

Do you know how to go about programming something like that? I know for firefox and chrome, there is a team of engineers that are constantly working on and updating these browsers. I am sure you could make one but don't expect it to compete with the big browsers. Is this for a school project?
Yeah Its for my software major work (school)

and I was thinking just using webkit and build a really nice interface.. I never meant from scratch lmao and I dont think it would ever compete because well obvs haha

hmmmn ,I really dont have any idea about this kindof thing though; I have no clue about audio stuff + programming..Im not really great with the programming side anyway - Im just really good and layout and design/interface.

Yeah Its for my software major work (school)

and I was thinking just using webkit and build a really nice interface.. I never meant from scratch lmao and I dont think it would ever compete because well obvs haha
You NEED a twist. RockMelt has FB integration. Chrome has the single bar for everything. Internet explorer has a blatant copy of every single other browser.

Maybe it has adblock inbuilt or something like that.

You NEED a twist. RockMelt has FB integration. Chrome has the single bar for everything. Internet explorer has a blatant copy of every single other browser.

Maybe it has adblock inbuilt or something like that.
I have one.

I thought of how my interface would work aaaaaaaaages ago, I just have no clue how to program it

Back