Speed Runs

ChibaMasato

They're frequent in the player, and I happen to enjoy them, so I figured I'd make a thread about them. Do you love them/hate them? Does anyone here speed-run or have ever attempted to?

Personally, I love watching speed runs. It amazes me how skilled and/or smart players can finish a game within an hour when it's meant to take hours. Also, i should clarify, I'm talking about non-TAS (Tool-Assisted Speed-run), although TAS's are also fun to watch.

I've only managed to speed-run two games: Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64, both with varying degrees of success, although with terrible times if comparing it to the records. I thinking of looking into trying to speed-run more games, possibly recording the attempts.

I am honest to God considering speed running Castle Crashers. If I do start I would also plan on streaming it.

They're frequent in the player, and I happen to enjoy them, so I figured I'd make a thread about them. Do you love them/hate them? Does anyone here speed-run or have ever attempted to?

Personally, I love watching speed runs. It amazes me how skilled and/or smart players can finish a game within an hour when it's meant to take hours. Also, i should clarify, I'm talking about non-TAS (Tool-Assisted Speed-run), although TAS's are also fun to watch.

I've only managed to speed-run two games: Super Mario World, and Super Mario 64, both with varying degrees of success, although with terrible times if comparing it to the records. I thinking of looking into trying to speed-run more games, possibly recording the attempts.

I wish we could have a T9k Borderlands speed run.
That would be amazing.

Just wanted to post this. So, Super Metroid has gone the way of Pokemon Yellow, Super Mario World, and Ocarina of Time in terms of any% runs.
This game just got completely bent over, fucked, broken, and completely destroyed recently. So a glitch called SpaceTime trigger was discovered which when put in certain variables can make the game have a major mental break down and teleport you anywhere. The records gone from 40ish minutes to something that's maybe a few minutes to complete. R.I.P

Just wanted to post this. So, Super Metroid has gone the way of Pokemon Yellow, Super Mario World, and Ocarina of Time in terms of any% runs.
This game just got completely bent over, fucked, broken, and completely destroyed recently. So a glitch called SpaceTime trigger was discovered which when put in certain variables can make the game have a major mental break down and teleport you anywhere. The records gone from 40ish minutes to something that's maybe a few minutes to complete. R.I.P
That's speedrunning for you. It's only a matter of time before a game gets shattered into tiny pieces.

I once did Pokemon Platinum in 5 hours... I could probably do it again with enough practice. I also once got past the Johto Elite 4 Pokemon HeartGold in 8 hours. I've beat Super Mario in 10 mins.

Does anyone here currently speedrun a game? I'm learning the route for a category of Twilight Princess called Any% No Save & Quit. I believe I've only been able to complete the first 20 minutes or so of the run, as there are some very difficult skips and I haven't been able to practice with an emulator yet.

Example of the route:

Also, TAS is funny

Does anyone here currently speedrun a game? I'm learning the route for a category of Twilight Princess called Any% No Save & Quit. I believe I've only been able to complete the first 20 minutes or so of the run, as there are some very difficult skips and I haven't been able to practice with an emulator yet.

Example of the route:

Also, TAS is funny
I've been considering taking it back up. Mostly considering Halo, as I've been having stupid amounts of fun with it. Also been considering taking up Paper Mario, which I recently beat faster than I ever have before.

Example of the route:

Also, TAS is funny
I've been wanting to learn to speedrun Spyro 2 or 3 in Any% and 100% because I watch a ton of speedruns of the game, but can't bring myself to it at the moment.

Back