• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Spirituality vs Religion vs Government

MotorKat

Disclaimer: henceforth, the words I'm typing state my personal beliefs on some subjects people find touchy, and the logic behind why I believe them so. I'm fine with people disagreeing, just don't shove said disagreements down the throat of this blog (thought-provoking comments, on the other hand are quite welcome :D )

I'm one of those people who defines themselves as "spiritual". If you really wanted to try and tag a definition to what I'm closest to, it would be Deist (the belief that there IS an omniscient force above watching everything at hand. Whether its God, Allah, Brahma or the Three Tenors is not for me to determine). You could say that's a cop-out for a step above Agnosticism, but really it fits with how fascinating I find the ideals of each religion I run into and appreciate them. The mysticism, the rituals, the history, the variety of people you meet one-on-one is great. and the non-flame-tastic debates are the best!

Its just that for many religions, the organization of a community of people who believe in a similar fashion often leads to a sense of closed-mindedness that is solidified with larger numbers, and that disturbs me. Too much conflict and strife manifests when one group of people is mad at another just because they dressed the wrong way, or didn't understand the origin of a certain practice, the explanations to why. Some people are satisfied with the goodwill of the text or preacher they are hearing this from. But for the many who whether through logic or gut feelings don't like what a preacher is saying, that can alienate them from others who take the words as concrete and infallible. Does a holy text's statement about a particular topic have as much impact toward you as the process of scientific theory? That's why I don't associate myself with the Catholic church anymore, even if I do agree with them on Some topics.

Now, because of the way some religions treat others differently, I'm all for the separation of State and Church (government and religious institutions). For things that originated from religion, such as marriage, let the institution and hierarchy from said institution deal with the technicalities. It is Their choice if policies from time long ago should stay the same or update to accommodate for the modern member of that religion. But for State and government, when their policies apply to ALL people regardless of religion, their equivalent of what religion calls a marriage (Civil Union) should be the determining factor for whether one person is legally bound to another and acknowledged as so. Yes, some governments inevitably merge State and Church to be one entity, but that often turns out horribly for the populous of said area.

"Humans are given the ability of free will; utilize that to validate and take responsibility for your personal beliefs and actions."
I hope that for those of you who read this blog that it really pauses your thoughts and makes you reconsider WHY.

I've never said it out but I've always considered myself somwhere between an Atheist and a Deist. I believe in science and proven facts. But I also believe that all the things proven in science cannot happen through pure coincidence. I won't claim to believe in a god but I will claim to disbelief in monumental coincidences where somehow a billion different little things with a billion possibilities each could, for some reason, occur at specific times and locations to make other things happen and suddenly floating cats from space evolve into raptors on Earth or some kind of sci fi shit like that. Peace out~

Agnostic with a belief in reincarnation... that is all I'm really saying because I'm sure nobody wants to hear my take on religion.

I completely agree, especially on the topic of separation of church and state.

Also, it really pisses me off when some US Christians complain about secularism or how one entertainment network uses the phrase "war on Christmas". In a world where there are people actually being killed for becoming Christian, complaining about the idea of not being given preferential treatment is disgusting.

I am an Atheist, which most people end up confusing with Satanic (for some reason), but really the idea is that:
SCIENCE PROVES EVERYTHING! AND WHAT IT CAN'T IS PROVED BY MAGIC!

an utopian way to live in a certain society and mostly an useful tool to manipulate and govern the masses, which might have started with a good purpose, but ended up being used for quite practical things. (i don't even know if it makes any sense, it's 6 am, i haven't slept and i'm trippin balls)also i think that the current religions will decay and eventually be treated like any other past religion (e.g. greek or egyptian mythology)
Also, just throwing it out there, because most of atheists piss me off: atheism does not equal belief in science and proven facts; atheism means "the lack of (the privative a prefix) belief in the existence of one or more dieties (theism)"

@Moondawg: its the pursuit of finding answers or whatever curiosity that is defined as WHY. (so, no need for an extra descriptive, the word in itself is the noun.)

@Fulgenzibrah: I understood completely the context behind what you said, let the lucid thoughts flow and dribble out from your brain and exit, it makes the trip moar fun :) I do also find irritating the assumption that just because someone is atheist one also assumes they believe in scientific process. Nah... someone can still believe in Unicorns and Faeries and be an Atheist at the same time.

@Gururururu: OMG YES, that is awesome!

My view: I'm Christian, Presbyterian by denomination. The thing I take most comfort in the religion is a life after death. I am afraid of dying and death. I am at least comforted by the fact that it is only a transition. I'm human, I'm fragile. But at least I can take some comfort and knowing I will not be entirely lost, forgotten , and ignored like I am now.

@kilted: doesn't the chance of an eternity of suffering and punishment scare you? I honestly don't know what version of christianity presbyterian is, but i'm reasonably sure it includes hell. Why not choose another religion if it is life after death you seek? As you might know, many, if not most religions offer it. Or do you stick to christianity because you've always been a christian? Do not take this as an insult or trolling; I am really interested in a response, merely out of curiosity/desire to have a thoughtful conversation. Should this offend, let me know, and i'll take it down

Back