• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Start over?

BenTheWis

I was talking with a couple of people online, and they were saying things like "it looks like a tornado went through the server" and "my house is griefed, but nobody griefed it". And i got to thinking, why not just restart the server? Before you just push this aside, just hear me out. This server, a.) doesent have a nether because of an update
b.) doesent have jungle biomes OR ocelots because of the map being the way it is
c.) is losing interest rapidly (believe me i know) because of reasons like they cant get back to their homes easily, or they cant find any pets, or there is too much towny.
If we were to reset the server, this would not only help out with the situation that I just stated, it will also tell us who the true members of t9k are, and who the griefers and the wanders, and the spammers are. I hear it is very easy to change the data on minestatus, but the only problem is the fact that there would need to be a whole nother server with a whole nother IP made. And then there is the problem with the fact that there are probably going to be some people who had some stuff that they are going to want to take with them to the other server. The chat bar isn't really reliable, so we would have to go around and check what everybody has. I personally volunteer myself to check accross the map and see what everybody has, if they are willing to open the chests for me. Please reply, and please don't criticize me, or yell at me, or ban me.

yours truly,
BenTheWis

I was talking with a couple of people online, and they were saying things like "it looks like a tornado went through the server" and "my house is griefed, but nobody griefed it". And i got to thinking, why not just restart the server? Before you just push this aside, just hear me out. This server, a.) doesent have a nether because of an update
b.) doesent have jungle biomes OR ocelots because of the map being the way it is
c.) is losing interest rapidly (believe me i know) because of reasons like they cant get back to their homes easily, or they cant find any pets, or there is too much towny.
If we were to reset the server, this would not only help out with the situation that I just stated, it will also tell us who the true members of t9k are, and who the griefers and the wanders, and the spammers are. I hear it is very easy to change the data on minestatus, but the only problem is the fact that there would need to be a whole nother server with a whole nother IP made. And then there is the problem with the fact that there are probably going to be some people who had some stuff that they are going to want to take with them to the other server. The chat bar isn't really reliable, so we would have to go around and check what everybody has. I personally volunteer myself to check accross the map and see what everybody has, if they are willing to open the chests for me. Please reply, and please don't criticize me, or yell at me, or ban me.

yours truly,
BenTheWis

Didn't read it all because it became a wall of text.
But.

Nether isn't needed since you can buy all the materials at spawn and overworld travel isn't hard.

There are jungle trees and ocelots, a lot of players have some and may be willing to give you them if you ask.

And only the area around spawn looks torn up. You don't want grief, move farther away.

Psh, how long have we had this map? It's probably about time for a new one anyway.

The nether isn't just about the blocks you can get there... it's about exploring. It's about going down there, and killing a bunch of zombie pigmen and taking their shit. It's about setting up a restaurant there called "Leonidas' Grill" and setting a place for three hundred Spartans.

Psh, how long have we had this map? It's probably about time for a new one anyway.

The nether isn't just about the blocks you can get there... it's about exploring. It's about going down there, and killing a bunch of zombie pigmen and taking their shit. It's about setting up a restaurant there called "Leonidas' Grill" and setting a place for three hundred Spartans.
yes! at least you had the audacity to read all of my message, and agree with it. Thanks! (i really hope sonic sees this thread)

yes! at least you had the audacity to read all of my message, and agree with it. Thanks! (i really hope sonic sees this thread)
You haven't been around that long, have you?

This is actually a fairly short time for a map to be around. The spawn always looks like that after a while, there's always too much Towny next to spawn, and eventually, once the cries for a wipe become heard from many more people, the map will be wiped. Sit back, relax, don't worry about the community too much. Players who settle too close to spawn have it coming (let's be honest, that's just a silly idea to begin with) and as for the nether....we won't see it after a wipe anyway, and those words come from Sonic himself.

I do agree with a wipe, but not yet. There's too many features being added right now, including the new biomes, natural blocks, and randomly generated structures (desert wells, anyone?); wait a few more updates (1.3 would be appropriate, I personally think) then wipe.

don't criticize me, or yell at me, or ban me.
You ask to erase a hundred people's hours, if not days, of commitment, and don't want any criticism? In that case, will hysterical laughter & outright contempt do? Because that's what you've earned from me.

And i got to thinking, why not just restart the server?
I think you mean that this has been covered a dozen times, and you're just ignoring all that.

a.) doesent have a nether because of an update
Fixed via spawn shop and whatever Sonic is planning on for blaze rods. Not an issue.
Completely untrue.
Losing interest among undedicated members or trolls. Not an issue.*

*edit: Or people sick of undedicated members or trolls. Still not an issue fixed by wipe.

a.) doesent have a nether because of an update
True, the conversion to Anvil forked it up, but as far as Woot has stated, this will permanently be disabled due to server-side issues it creates. A new map will not bring the nether back.

Take a gander at the map at around -1200, -7952. A jungle was kinda gimped into the world without the required new map generation. You can head there for cats if you really need them (foreveralone) or just buy an egg or two at the spawn store.

Interest always wanes, it's generally not the result of anything that the server isn't providing to players. People get bored with things not progressing the way they prefer (whether it be mods that the admin won't install or town progression/drama) and they move on. There is a GPS system to port between spawn and the graveyards. If that's still too difficult to have to walk, I'd suggest looking towards playing on a Creative server - there is a reason this mode is called Survival - nothing is handed to folks on a silver platter here. It's not all that difficult to look at map.team9000.net to see where you are in the world.

If we were to reset the server, this would not only help out with the situation that I just stated, it will also tell us who the true members of t9k are, and who the griefers and the wanders, and the spammers are.
Not sure I follow how it would tell us anything. The same general group of folks who've played since Alpha will probably still be around, we'll still have Towny to protect things, and griefers will always exist no matter how many of them you ban. The only thing a wipe would do is clear all the derp outside of spawn and erase a lot of hard work that has gone into many towns. It's obviously inevitable, as multiple worlds have come and gone, but I'm not so sure this worlds time is up yet.

It was actually kagato's town that made benthewis's comments piss me off (more than usual).

You ask to erase a hundred people's hours, if not days, of commitment, and don't want any criticism? In that case, will hysterical laughter & outright contempt do? Because that's what you've earned from me.

I think you mean that this has been covered a dozen times, and you're just ignoring all that.

Fixed via spawn shop and whatever Sonic is planning on for blaze rods. Not an issue.

Completely untrue.

Losing interest among undedicated members or trolls. Not an issue.*

*edit: Or people sick of undedicated members or trolls. Still not an issue fixed by wipe.
While your clearly offended this persons position, and while I will agree with Guru that it is too soon for a wipe...

You're going to have to get used to the idea that a wipe is going to happen. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it's inevitable. We've had maps wiped before, and this one will be no exception. Don't become to attached to your towns, or you'll just end up getting pissed when the wipe does happen.

While your clearly offended this persons position, and while I will agree with Guru that it is too soon for a wipe...

You're going to have to get used to the idea that a wipe is going to happen. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but it's inevitable. We've had maps wiped before, and this one will be no exception. Don't become to attached to your towns, or you'll just end up getting pissed when the wipe does happen.
I've accepted the inevitability of a wipe. That doesn't mean I have to agree with benthewis's ignorance on the issue.

Oh hell no.

This world has not been around nearly long enough.

The "1.6 World" lasted from BEFORE I joined (which means at least Beta 1.2) all of the way to 1.6.6, where it was wiped. It was a wipe that killed me on the inside, losing the city of Eagle Pass, but in the end, it was worth it.

This world has only been around for what, two months? Three?

The Nether is a big compilation of red and orange shit, with the occasional white, tentacle turd to shoot fireballs at you. It does nothing but fuck up the server.

Also, many people have been working their butts off building stuff, and it would be absolutely ridiculous to flip them the finger and take it away, after only a short period of time in a world that was supposed to be "permanent, or long lasting".

Meh, I usually try to gently inform these uninformed new-ish players. They will become veterans someday (hopefully) and I would hope they will pass on that same example.

EDIT: (This forum really needs a "read posts posted since you started your response" option)

Oh hell no.

This world has not been around nearly long enough.

The "1.6 World" lasted from BEFORE I joined (which means at least Beta 1.2) all of the way to 1.6.6, where it was wiped. It was a wipe that killed me on the inside, losing the city of Eagle Pass, but in the end, it was worth it.

This world has only been around for what, two months? Three?

The Nether is a big compilation of red and orange shit, with the occasional white, tentacle turd to shoot fireballs at you. It does nothing but fuck up the server.

Also, many people have been working their butts off building stuff, and it would be absolutely ridiculous to flip them the finger and take it away, after only a short period of time in a world that was supposed to be "permanent, or long lasting".

Beta 1.1 for that one, actually. Good ol' Oxytown.

yours truly,
BenTheWis

a. Nether was not removed due to an update, Nether was taken out due to a rash amount of lag thrown out across the entirety of the map, because of the Nether. It was also hard to monitor and breaking Bukkit. Wooty has stated this already.

b. Our map does have jungle biomes AND ocelots. My friend Patchouli has about 17 cats alone. (Most bred) - The jungle biome was put in, and at first, wasn't open to people joining it, but now it's an open, uninhabited biome of fun, and rain!

c. As for people losing interest in the map, that's their fault, not ours/Woot's. There's nothing wrong with the map and/or server at all. People that lose interest are tired of the grief problem, which is newbies that run around by spawn and hit everything. You say there's an issue with "too much Towny", however, if we didn't have Towny, there'd be a metric fuck-ton of grief, everywhere.

Pixie: My favorite masurement is the Metric fuckton. It's actually much better than the standard fuck-ton which is based on the amount of shits George Washington took in his lifetime (thus making it as american of a unit as possible). The Metric fuck-ton is exactly 1337 metric fucks. I know it doesn't follow the metric convention of powers of ten, but I don't care, because it's awesome.

Psh, You should know that when there's a wipe everything gets nuked with it. It would throw off the economy too much if it didn't.

What is this "economy" people keep mentioning?

From what I know, there is next to no trade, which means most money and valuables just stacks up in people's individual chests, which doesn't seem like a problem to me.

What is this "economy" people keep mentioning?

From what I know, there is next to no trade, which means most money and valuables just stacks up in people's individual chests, which doesn't seem like a problem to me.
Example:
Crane has been playing since alpha. Crane Has 9001 diamonds in his chest. Crane's diamonds are imported to the new map with him, because he's been hoarding since forever ago. Crane sells the diamonds and immediately claims all of the land ever with in thirty minutes of the new map. Congrats! Crane wins at everything.

Plus the logistics of importing everyone's shit into the new map are mindboggling.

Back