• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Suggestion: Double Engineer Kick Equals Ban

zCheshire

I don't know how hard this would be to implement but I think it could help.

I've had a couple of situations where there would only be 2-3 engineers on but no awesome+ and a lot of griefers/spammers. What happens is when the griefers/spammers realize no one can ban them if they grief, they just keep coming back after being kicked and grief some more. This causes a lot of problems because then the engineers have to try and keep the griefers/spammers under control and at the same time, make sure that the griefers/spammers don't come back.

My suggestion is that if two or more engineers agree that a certain player should be banned for griefing or whatnot, that they can each individually do a "half" ban which would equal a full ban thereby removing the players. By having two or more engineers participate in the ban it would decrease the chances of it being abused.

Just a suggestion.

Like I said, something along the line of you need two or more engineers to perform the ban., so if only one tries it won't work.

I think if the player gets kicked 3 times within the span of 10-15 minutes, he will get banned. Maybe....
EDIT: or a temp ban

Riein that's a good idea too. We need some way for engineers to get rid of the griefers that keep coming back after being kick.

zCheshire said:
Riein that's a good idea too. We need some way for engineers to get rid of the griefers that keep coming back after being kick.

I agree... and the same applies to the trolls...the current option is to ask on mumble for someone to come which is good most of the time though

I could see where this idea would be good, and bad. What if there was a player who had been kicked a couple of months ago for something and then that player gets back on and gets kicked again today? That player would then get insta-banned. That doesn't seem very fair, especially if that player had been building and hadn't done anything ban-worthy since the first kick from a couple of months ago. Maybe a better option would be that if a certain player has a couple of kicks, their info is sent to a log of some sort that Pro+ can view and determine whether or not a ban is needed. Also, instead of 2 kicks, make it three. Something about having just two kicks=ban seems unfair, espeically since it could be easy for two engineers to gang up on one player.

Ahh yes, usually this applies more to trolls rather than griefers-and slot of the time people on mumble don't want to go on classic so idunno. I doubt the joint kick is possible, and as it is I don't think Woot would be bothered implementing more code into the server...however that doesnt mean that this wouldn't be awesome haha

I guess I'm going to be the only engineer 100% against this idea. I believe they should keep getting kicked until the deserved to be banned. If no admins are on, take pics with history on them.

...the current option is to ask on mumble for someone to come
THIS ^

just don't ask on mumble unless you have done ALL of the following:
You personally see the person(s) on the server actively griefing
You see them griefing more then 3 blocks and their activity actually warrants immediate attention
You have already kicked them multiple times and they keep coming back
You actually checked /players to make sure there isn't someoen on already that can ban

These points may seem like common sense but I can personally say I have seen people come in to mumble requesting an admin come to classic immediately when several of the above factors were not true.

Current system works and works well. yes there will be periods where someone is not on to ban. Just know when they do get back on it will all get reverted so its rare that a griefer demands immediate attention. If someone is really going overboard and they keep coming back hop on mumble and let people know. Just do it nicely and someoen will usually get on and take care of it.

Note: Just for the record I am an engineer

Negative_Zer0 said:
THIS just don't ask on mumble unless:
You have already kicked them and they keep coming back
They are actively griefing/spamming
Its more then 3 blocks and actually warrants immediate attention
You actually checked /players to make sure there isn't someoen on already that can ban

You know I already know this... all i was doing was making a point

THIS ^
/players doesn't show invisible higher-ranked people...
Sometimes just shouting "Grief!" gets someone with ban powers to ban the griefers/trollers/spammers/advertisers/whoever else involved.

With the abundance of awesome+ players that are on there shouldn't be a need for a temp ban system, also the system could easily become a hassle if someone is temp banned accidentally and no-one is on to unban the person. Like Negative_Zero said, mumble is a primary way of getting ahold of ranked players who will gladly assist if they aren't busy with other games or other situations. Just be sure to make absolutely sure that the grief is substantive enough to be reported in to someone, as well as make sure that the grief done is not someone just changing their own building, 'spleef' arena, or any other context that would be considered non-obtrusive to others properties. (Annoying to login just to find that someone was clearing their own sprite and have to let people know to check the buildings blocks as well >.<)

Oh yea, and always advise people to NOT repair grief and go about their business with building as it will be fixed no questions asked with a magical 'pixie wand.' :D

/players doesn't show invisible higher-ranked people...
At engineer rank /players will show all players even those above your rank that are hidden

Sometimes just shouting "Grief!" gets someone with ban powers to ban the griefers/trollers/spammers/advertisers/whoever else involved.
You could not possibly be more wrong. No player is banned without the person banning them seeing grief in person or doing a history on the grief checking multiple times.

how is what he said "wrong"? shouting grief is how you get someone there to do the /history and then ban

the user does nothing but report the grief, so he is completely right, sometimes just reporting the grief is enough to get someone banned, from the users perspective the history and decision making process is all part of the ban

perhaps i mistook what he was saying but my understanding of his statement was
sometimes if you just say griefer they get banned immediately implying that someone just took their word for it and did not actually take time to check. People have accused mods of this in the past and its just not how things are done.

if this is not what he meant then i apologize. If all that was meant by that was reporting grief in chat will often result in a person with ban powers responding then yes that is absolutely right.

Back