• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Suggestion for tranport networks -- (after wipe?)

Selfish is to be devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.

That would be the Dictionary.com definition of Selfish. It is also very similar to the World English Dictionary definition.

As our efforts are designed to create a system accessible by anyone, just not griefable by anybody, this does not fit the definition of selfish especially since we have done what we can for any others wishing to interact with these spaces.

However, one might be considered selfish if they completely ignored the experiences of others.

Cerilath, selfish is to assume that others have to ask you to build in reaction of your land mongering behaviour, selfish is to assume that claiming spaces is encouraging the work between cities and factions, selfish is to subordinate the needs of others to what's good and works for fooville and foolish is to destroy such a constructive thread with childish "but my town.."-posts. If claiming spots works for Fooville be happy but as Dein said destroying the fun in playing a game, which is the conclusion of this behaviour, is the actual definition of griefing.

You misunderstand. I have not assumed anything. We provided one viewpoint to the discussion on how things *could* work if people wanted to access land that has been claimed. You are allowed to disagree, but your disagreement does not invalidate the viewpoint. You don't like that people have claimed spots from spawn. I get that perfectly clear. As it's already been done, suggestions have been provided to you as to how to work with those areas. What you do with those suggestions is obviously up to you. Real current in-game examples were included, though calling them childish is not constructive. They were provided as reference to a discussion point as suggested 'cooperative methods' on claimed land could have been tested with real time data.

As to the discussion about encouraging the work between cities and factions? That was actually an echo of part of point 5 of the original post, which I support. Part of having fun playing the game IS working together to achieve common goals. We're offering ideas and suggestions on how to work together in the world that is currently active, so that everyone can have fun and enjoy the game.

Been working on an east roving public path, and for the most people have been very cool with it.
And some are just disagreable.
Thats how it is. I'm just building it, and if someone wants to use it.....Kool.

Soon I'll bee working on the south side of the spawn.

I think the paths are pretty essential for site seeing.
Havnet really looked at anybodies towns other then my own yet.
Not much to see there..

Bakam thats what you're doing buddy. By claiming you're concerning your interest and assuming that this behaviour would strenghten the discourse of the players on the server, you're just following another selfish idea you constructed for pleasuring yourself.

:keyboard:

Seems to me like you're getting really paranoid about several people griefing your stuff simultaneously. You can't tell me, that there's so much griefers who 1stly guess that they're dealing with a minetrack at all and 2ndly really go into the hassle of digging everything up. Maybe that's possible, at a time, but that's never going to be a frequent issue. To hinder other people of freely build a minetrack because of your paranoia of that low probability seems to be totally inappropriate. What is going to be a frequent issue is people not being able to build through other peoples stuff. The fact, that people have to get an admin reaction to build freely because of other people is only acceptable, if it's because of a grief and the affecting people are therefore banned. And how can the admins know, that a city is no more frequented? How do you know they can get you even permissions on towny? Or do they have to disband that city? That idea is just not realizable. And I don't think they really want to deal with that kind of stuff.

And I don't care if you let other people pass through your system, you can't expect everyone to be on at an acceptable time or be willing to cooperate. So maybe you're a good example, but unfortunately we need a solution that applies to ALL citizen.
About your path griefing anyone: It will at least, when you're not going to be able to react in time to cooperate. Or are you unemployed and never on vacation?

So as a conclusion: Sometimes being forced to report a grief is still the lesser of evils than affecting multiple other citizen with your paranoia.

McVit my friend, you are incorrect. Use the correct term, protectionist. Selfish is incorrect here. I would fully agree that some might be selfish in their land use, and if they create a blockade to limit mobility of others, they are certainly being selfish. When my town mates and I go out of our way to include other towns, even preemptively and even provide the materials for doing such, we are not, by any stretch of the imagination (except maybe your own slightly twisted one) being selfish.

As for paranoia, I will accept that title if it pleases. I spent 20% of my time in Outlands fixing grief. I spend on average a little over an hour a day on classic looking for grief and reporting it. Because of Towny, my grief repairs have been much less frequent, but still present. The fact that you don't think grief is that bad is fortunate for you and I am glad that you have yet to become jaded about griefers. I do have a job, so you might have to wait a few hours for me to assist, and no, I don't take vacation. Other members of my town are also able to assist and they usually crave new projects so it would not take much enticing to get them to help. So no, I don't see my town's path griefing anyone unless you consider anything other than instant gratification griefing.

You misunderstand. I have not assumed anything. We provided one viewpoint to the discussion on how things *could* work if people wanted to access land that has been claimed. You are allowed to disagree, but your disagreement does not invalidate the viewpoint. You don't like that people have claimed spots from spawn. I get that perfectly clear. As it's already been done, suggestions have been provided to you as to how to work with those areas. What you do with those suggestions is obviously up to you. Real current in-game examples were included, though calling them childish is not constructive. They were provided as reference to a discussion point as suggested 'cooperative methods' on claimed land could have been tested with real time data.

As to the discussion about encouraging the work between cities and factions? That was actually an echo of part of point 5 of the original post, which I support. Part of having fun playing the game IS working together to achieve common goals. We're offering ideas and suggestions on how to work together in the world that is currently active, so that everyone can have fun and enjoy the game.

Oh Cerilath, it's so nice that you're providing a possible viewpoint to us while plowing the server for land. And btw "real current in-game examples" can't really be considered empiric if they consists on one example. I really don't think depending on others permission and presence can be considered as a "cooperative method".

You're still missing the point that you can't speak for all people that do the one plot lines. Please review my previous post with that people in mind. I don't have a problem with your solution, maybe it works for you, but it's not a general solution at all.

I'm divided on the subject, because Fooville has gone out of their way to accomidate its neighbors.
They even recently opened up a personal station, on their tracks for my lil town.

On the otherside of the arguement, is Eden city. They went out of their way to purchase public land, my path was on.
Then they raised everyting on it, to about 6 blocks deep, and left a sign saying "owned".
Really is kinda of weird why they would go so far out of their way for such actions.

However given it being public land, and a public path I was making....well thats how it goes.

Oh Cerilath, it's so nice that you're providing a possible viewpoint to us while plowing the server for land. And btw "real current in-game examples" can't really be considered empiric if they consists on one example. I really don't think depending on others permission and presence can be considered as a "cooperative method".

Oh, so the citizens of Fooville are plowing the server for land, are we? Since you are directly addressing me, I'll respond directly to you. Have you actually visited Fooville? Have you taken the opportunity to ride the railway? I don't believe you have, so once again you are assuming something that is not accurate. Feel free to stop by, and someone will be happy to show you around and provide you any assistance that you may require.

And am I to be responsible for providing numerous in-game examples to contribute to the discussion? I'm sorry, I thought this was a thread that welcomed free thought and cooperation from all.

I'm divided on the subject, because Fooville has gone out of their way to accomidate its neighbors.

On the otherside of the arguement, is Eden city. They went out of their way to purchase public land, my path was on.
Then they raised everyting on it, to about 6 blocks deep, and left a sign saying "owned".
Really is kinda of weird why they would go so far out of their way for such actions.

However given it being public land, and a public path I was making....well thats how it goes.

Here is one:

http://www.team9000.net/threads/ban-appeal.10898/

And here the second, which i had in mind:

http://www.team9000.net/threads/user7669s-ban-appeal.10374/

The behaviour of Eden should not be considered right

Interesting...
What they raised was a restop just east of spawn. I kinda welcoming spot for those to see the outlands, rest up , get food (provided ofcourse).
I don't understand why they would go out of their way to do what they did...but whatever probibly just some stupid kids.

There is currently a small railway connecting some of the major towns. There are more who are pending as to connecting

Current connection: Eaglefortress, NCC, Woodkeep, Caprica

Pending or work in progress: DiamondRush, Kingdomhearts, Birchpond, PhoenixPeak,

And yes, a more organized rail system should be done. also, I wish we could set plot permissions (ie: let outsiders use doors, switches, and buttons, etc in the rail station) another thing would be if the rail would be in the sky, on the ground, or underground. Another good idea would, if the admins could let us, make a small station attatched to spawntower that leads to a ring around spawn area, which then has juctions around the ring leading to the major cities. smaller cities could use the rails too, just only with the major town's permission.

Wow miss a day on the forum and a wall of text does quite literally

crits you for 9 hearts

luckily my breakfast restores 9 hearts :)

ot sure why there's been such an issue of this. I am not aware of one instance of "line-o-chunks" causing someone to not be able to build. Most of these complaints come from the unsupported complaint that these people could block spawn. No one has done that.

Your right - I've not seen any major complaints, and perhaps I am being to cynical about peoples motives. Yes I've seen (and cleaned up) griefing and I really don't get why people do it... I supoose the bigger problem, as pointed out, is when people don't co-operate. When they claim a line-o-chuncks/town/outpost/whatever and when approached don't allow someone to build a road/minecart across. They may have reasons why not (if its a town/outpost) but if its just a line - seriously what?!

Perhaps I'm just frustrated that I play on a different time zone to the people i want to talk to about transport solutions with -- not helped by the fact that I have no idea what the town is called and who owns it with out having to walk over there -- which 'ironically' without a nice road/minecart to help me I'm loath to do -- hills/creepers/giant holes/creepers/open caves/did I mention creepers? -- have between them helped kill several times me on this sever while traveling cross country.

Slightly OT has anyone else noticed that without the lag the mobs can be dangerous now?

@BMW: Taking one's land is not a permission to grief this land.
You should consider to get those guys banned and see after that who really got owned.

@Bekumjofoo: Wiktionary.com told me this when I was looking for the right terms: "an upstart who makes conceited, sardonic, insolent comments"

Glad you survived Munchkin. Sometimes my rebuttals get a tad wordy. I certainly see your issue with the time zones and the previous issue mentioned with identifying a city. The latter could he resolved by having the world map have a hover-over for town named/mayors. The former issue is the one we have been debating. It is still my contention that the best solution would involve purchasing building rights to access a location. One town may own the land, but others can purchase rights from them to use it. The benefit for both sides is that anything located in that chunk would be protected from outside griefing.

And Niamph; although I do try to lace some of my comments with some light wit, I am not sure the term you are referencing is correct either. Although I much prefer being called a wiseass over being a dumbass.

That still leaves the problem, that the owner has to give permission to that and has to be available at an acceptable time. You still haven't given me a reasonable solution to that. And I doubt, that the admins will change the whole setup, just because of some fooville guys, that are seemingly the people, that are the most affected by systematic griefing in the history of minecraft and are whining too hard because of a admin delay time of one day.

I never said permission needed to be granted. Paying for land use can be just as automated as buying it. The only difference is that the land owners blocks could not be edited by a land user. In addition, the land user's blocks could not be edited by anyone not paying for the right to build.

The admins are busy people with lives of their own. My hope would be to create a system that would not require constant intervention to maintain some semblance of order.

Back