• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Survival Idea - Plots near other towns cost more

StTheo

What if, instead of the current option for neighboring towns, we make it increasingly expensive to purchase a plot near other towns? This would allow for expansion near inactive towns while making it difficult to completely enclose another town. The prices could get higher as you move closer to another town, as shown in this example:

Town A, separated by 3 plots (numbered 1, 2, and 3) from Town B:
A 1 2 3 B

Plot 1 would cost 500 for Town A to purchase, but 2000 for Town B to purchase.
Plot 2 would cost 1000 for Town A or Town B to purchase.
Plot 3 would cost 2000 for Town A to purchase, but 500 for Town B to purchase.

Town B buys Plot 3:
A 1 2 B B

Plot 1 would cost 1000 for Town A to purchase, but 2000 for Town B to purchase.
Plot 2 would cost 2000 for Town A to purchase, but 1000 for Town B to purchase.

Town B buys Plot 2:
A 1 B B B

Plot 1 would cost 2000 for Town A or Town B to purchase.
This might work against small towns that can't afford to expand as quickly as well-populated towns. Town A would face an uphill battle when trying to secure Plot 1, because the price would go up with each acquisition by Town B. This is why the second example would be more ideal:

Town A, separated by 3 plots (numbered 1, 2, and 3) from Town B:
A 1 2 3 B

Plot 2 would cost 1000 for Town A or Town B to purchase.
Plot 3 would cost 2000 for Town A to purchase, but 500 for Town B to purchase.

Town B buys Plot 3:
A 1 2 B B

Plot 2 would cost 1000 for Town A to purchase, but 1000 for Town B to purchase.

Town B buys Plot 2:
A 1 B B B

However, I'm pretty sure that this faces a problem when coding. The second example needs to be able to store these "border plots" in such a way that the prices don't increase for Town A when Town B buys Plots 1 & 2.

Could you give some more details on the types of problems this idea would solve? I gather the following based on the above post.

- Prevents complete enclosure of nearby towns
- Discourages expansion near other towns (could actually be a negative depending, especially for worldhub)

I get the feeling this might cause more problems than it would solve, but I'll leave that open to discussion. Additionally, depending on the problems, there could be a better solution (again, open for discussion).

Right now it's impossible to expand towards inactive towns. WorldHub has no issues with increased price for neighbour plots. We have a problem with blockades caused by a faulty system. In any case, good on you, Theo. I love this idea.

https://bugs.team9000.net/bug_report_page.php

So that Woot will actually look at it.

what if instead of changing the cost if admins do a check every 30 days to see if towns are in active if members haven't logged in for a town in say 30 days plots go up on hold for 30 more days if members haven't contacted admins to unlock town with in the 30 days of locked down, it then goes back to being wild, and up for grabs this insures members who are regularly active a chance to expand and for old towns that have no active members to be removed. it solves several problems i think. on a side note if members are inactive because health or family emergency's or vacations would could put a vacation flag in for the town so admins know. thus exempting them from inactivity. if this is used as an abuse situation it could remain as a judgement call for an admin.

This all stems on admins being a little more active as it is Ive only seen one admin on in last 2 weeks and he barely says hi. which is kinda sad when the community is trying really hard to be active and the admins aren't responding in kind. Yes i know they have life's but i spend on average 8-12 hrs on my pc a day i check in to 2 servers make time to vote & respond to emails while running my own private server & a popular website. for which i also encode video for. Plus i make time for my 9yr old and job.

Back