• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Survival Rant

> mfw you cant greentext on T9K
> mfw when it works
> mfw this is 4chan
> mfw i have this nuder control
But I'm not greentexting,
I'm whitetexting.

You see,
It's like greentexting,

Except I'm not being a flagrant faggot.

Also you mis-spelt "can't".

My point is that there's more to T9K than Minecraft so if people aren't happy with the changes than it's not the end of the world.

I'm quitting after the wipe. I had made that statement before, when the quick decision of a wipe had occurred and I'm sticking to that plan. It was a great run guys! Hope to catch up with all of you at some point.

After reading all those posts I really don't get how wooty thinks. More or less no one is okay with this wipe, yet he ignores his community and goes on with his own idea. Oh well I guess he'll find out sooner or later that the people have the voice.

See you folks around classic.

Here's my uncensored thinking.

Right now, we are catering to a relatively small group of very dedicated players. These players really enjoy time-based gratification, and for that reason, get satisfaction from the end product -- knowing that it took them a long time end effort to produce it. We've lost many players over the months, because we only reward this time-for-product mentality. It takes a lot of time (mining and voting) to get anything done.

Unfortunately, this also means that our small remaining player base is very passionate about their buildings. They spent a lot of time working on their projects, so why should those projects ever go away?

I'm trying to shift player mentality to one that more suits the Team9000 server style. We like to experiment, try new things, new mods, new games, new excitement. With this new setup, we will be able to completely revamp the survival section of the server every few weeks, trying new ideas and fun mods. Perhaps one session, we'll have large biomes. Then on the next session, the entire world might be in the skylands. Then next time, maybe you'll be able to trade dirt for fireworks (because why not!). The wipes may not be every two weeks, but they will certainly be more often than they were previously. -- Each time trying something new, something that we couldn't do in the previous maps.

This isn't because I want to destroy all your work, it's because I want to be able to mix it up. Our existing player base thrives on stagnation, and I don't think that's healthy for our incoming player base and future.

Right now, we are catering to a relatively small group of very dedicated players. These players really enjoy time-based gratification, and for that reason, get satisfaction from the end product -- knowing that it took them a long time end effort to produce it. We've lost many players over the months, because we only reward this time-for-product mentality. It takes a lot of time (mining and voting) to get anything done.

Unfortunately, this also means that our small remaining player base is very passionate about their buildings. They spent a lot of time working on their projects, so why should those projects ever go away?

I'm trying to shift player mentality to one that more suits the Team9000 server style. We like to experiment, try new things, new mods, new games, new excitement. With this new setup, we will be able to completely revamp the survival section of the server every few weeks, trying new ideas and fun mods. Perhaps one session, we'll have large biomes. Then on the next session, the entire world might be in the skylands. Then next time, maybe you'll be able to trade dirt for fireworks (because why not!). The wipes may not be every two weeks, but they will certainly be more often than they were previously. -- Each time trying something new, something that we couldn't do in the previous maps.

This isn't because I want to destroy all your work, it's because I want to be able to mix it up. Our existing player base thrives on stagnation, and I don't think that's healthy for our incoming player base and future.

But think about it. Would we rather have players joining for 2 weeks, and realize everything is gone, and quit? Or have longer lasting players who will be dedicated to T9K.

For those of you passionate about long term survival, what would you want it to look like? I suppose I'm not terribly opposed to having a separate "long-term" less modded world, as long as it is supplement to the existing layout. Of course, switching between the two survivals would require dumping your inventory, but it could work.

I'm quitting after the wipe. I had made that statement before, when the quick decision of a wipe had occurred and I'm sticking to that plan. It was a great run guys! Hope to catch up with all of you at some point.

After reading all those posts I really don't get how wooty thinks. More or less no one is okay with this wipe, yet he ignores his community and goes on with his own idea. Oh well I guess he'll find out sooner or later that the people have the voice.

See you folks around classic.
It concerns me that people would jump ship before even giving the idea a chance. Everyone has been constantly giving woot crap about how survival is ran and honestly I am surprised that he keeps the server up. It's his server, he can run it how he wants and if he thinks an idea is good to try he'll go through with it, some people will always complain that it's not what they were thinking of, but he is doing it in the best interest of keeping the game 'fresh.'

It's stupid to go back to pre-hack days imo, there were many complaints during those days as well and we already had the fun that was to be had during those days, creative is new and opens up new doors to projects that would have been excessively hard during survival (or impossible.) It allows for quick design changes rather than having to take a hell of a lot of time (and luck) to find rare minerals just for design sake.

And it's not like we are losing survival completely, he is setting up the secondary world with a very 'vanilla' minecraft system and even putting in pvp aspect! The only part I am worried about would be the tentative world wipes for that, but that can change with more actual planning instead of this ranting/private server advertising/quitting...

~Bored

P.S. Woot has stated several times that money has not been an issue with this, he doesn't do ads because he doesn't want them on this site, and donations are the same case (he used to have donations back in the early days, but the servers are ran with other funds nowadays.)

But think about it. Would we rather have players joining for 2 weeks, and realize everything is gone, and quit? Or have longer lasting players who will be dedicated to T9K.
You're aware, that they could be informed of this when they join it? So they'll be prepared for it?

For those of you passionate about long term survival, what would you want it to look like? I suppose I'm not terribly opposed to having a separate "long-term" less modded world, as long as it is supplement to the existing layout. Of course, switching between the two survivals would require dumping your inventory, but it could work.

Why not have them completely seperate? Have a short term world like we currently have, and have a vast other world that gets wiped every 6 months maybe. Then short term world could be much smaller, as it will be wiped very often

You're aware, that they could be informed of this when they join it? So they'll be prepared for it?

Yes I am, but people tend to forget.

I really appreciate the fact you're taking our wishes into account and trying to find a solution that will satisfy us all. You have my repect.

The only people that would be affected this way would be the people looking for something like we have now. I think a lot of people would stick around knowing this is a fresh server with crazy stuff happening all the time. Sure not everyone would like it, but a lot would. This may not even be those people's main server, but a place where they go to have some fun, kind of like the whole idea behind Team9000.

:)

The only people that would be affected this way would be the people looking for something like we have now. I think a lot of people would stick around knowing this is a fresh server with crazy stuff happening all the time. Sure not everyone would like it, but a lot would. This may not even be those people's main server, but a place where they go to have some fun, kind of like the whole idea behind Team9000.

:)

I get what you mean now :) Thanks :thumbsup:

BAM! Right there. Long term, large, plots, diamonds to buy stuff? Moderated?

I understand your reasoning. I can't speak for everyone, nor do I even expect you to cater to my whim. Your ideas were good, perhaps change is what we need. I think a third long term world would finally suit the needs of all:

1.) Creative allows people to build whatever their imagination can conjure. Only thing is I think some sort of system needs to be implemented there to keep grief and things that happen on classic from happening. Maybe a free plot system, so people can reserve space. Same system in place to keep people from reserving a plot right next to someones unfinished build.

2.) Short term survival world allows you to play the game the way it was intended and keep all the features up to date. This would be the best place for newbs and people who just want to be vanilla. No plots, no moderation, explosions, PVP, all features except TNT on. Smaller map, maybe even current size.

3.) Long term survival world, creeper and enderman grief off. Plot system. Another method of obtaining cash other than voting. Larger/Infinite map. Most features on. Stores? This would be most similar to Sanctum or Haven Map. Maybe PvP here as well? or PVP flags for plots in towns, say if Bastion wanted to make an arena. So on and so forth. Also perhaps allow one portal per town? This way people can't get to spawn and not have to buy long plots of land.

Everyone wins. It might be a complicated setup, I'm not sure. But if that was possible, I'm sure it would have the most appeal for the most players.

Again, I happily volunteer for any sort of moderation, janitorial, or building work to help ease the workload Woot.

I'm not sure if I tipped the scale with this thread, if this was already in everyone's mind, but I'm a little nervous that my words caused this much reaction. I hope no one is mad at me.

I'm not sure if I tipped the scale with this thread, if this was already in everyone's mind, but I'm a little nervous that my words caused this much reaction. I hope no one is mad at me.
This is definitely not the first thread to express discontent with the current setup.

Back