• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

T9K Blog, Pt. 8

Mightythedj23

After spending what felt like a dozen more or so fortcycles had passed, I was granted access to the villagers' traditions of tanning leather to make leather Armour, how to properly farm and sustain myself with the small plot of crops they gave me when they had given me my shack; the amount of knowledge they possessed was immense. They taught me how to utilize every part of an animal that i killed; whether it was cattle for food or hide, sheep for wool to make cloth, or chickens.

They Surprised me the most with what they did with chickens.

They taught me that chickens are, to their culture, one of the most important animals because one is able to create arrows with the feathers of a chicken, and feed oneself properly with the left over meat. As my time with the villagers increased, the more i realized something: they were far more intelligent than the Alliance; back in training they never taught us any of this.

Looking back, it seems like they never taught us at all.

While i was harvesting mushrooms on the outskirts of the village to make a dish called "mushroom stew" though the villagers tend to call it "Brew of the Witches" as in lore it was said that witches used mushrooms to create potions of misfortune; i heard an explosion.

The Raiders of the North were attacking.

I ran as fast as i could back to the village, and what i saw once i got there could never be explained accurately in words.

The villagers were fighting off the raiders, and they were winning.

Granted, the most they had in the way of weaponry were bows, arrows and stone swords and axes, but they easily defeated the ground assault. The only thing i was worried about was the airships. I went to the village elder, who seemed to be running the defense, and warned him of the impending danger. He simply turned to me and said there was nothing to fear.

'Nothing to fear?' I thought, 'how can there be nothing to fear? surely they know of the airships!'

And sure enough, he was right; there was nothing to fear.

In the two church towers at each end of the village fire charges and arrows rained upon the airships from dispensers, decimating them within minutes. The villagers had access to redstone technology? I was always under the assumption that only the engineers of Cydonia had the ability to utilize redstone. This was surprising, to say the least.

After the last airship crashed into the ever shifting sands, the crew thoroughly dead, i went to the village elder.

"Elder, how to you have access to redstone technology?"

"..Red...stone? Surely you must mean the blood of Chton? It was discovered in the bellies of the wooden air gliders cycles ago, long before you arrived Rouga."

"Rouga?" i asked, as i have never heard this name before.

"Yes, my people call you Rouga, it means Bane of the Spinners."

"Bane of the Spinners? You mean spiders?" This language gets more interesting each time they speak.

"Indeed, in our culture, the spinners were created by Chton as guides to teach my people how to utilize silk and fibres to our own uses, Until one day, many, many cycles ago, they fell under the magik of a..how you say? a witch? then they turned on my people. Our scouts saw how you held yourself against them with your blade of the inferno."

It's true, i did use fire's fury to fight off a group of spiders, but i like "Blade of the Inferno" better. Ever since i came to the village i kept my sword's blade wrapped in a black ribbon cloth, attached to the hilt near the pommel, and wrapped to just about the tip of the blade.

When the village elder mentioned a witch, something in my mind jolted me awake: i still had to find the brewer in Sebastian. I asked him if he knew how to get to alliance territory, as i had discovered that the wastelands weren't a separate dimension as i once thought; its merely a vast desert thousands of kilometers from alliance territory.

He indeed knew the way, and provided me with a sand glider, a compass, and enough supplies to last me a fortcycle. The only condition to this was i could never reveal the location of his village; he doesn't want to put his people through the genocide they'd heard about. I gave him my word as i set off.

And i intend to keep it that way.

Back