• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

T9K reunion server

I see one of two scenarios.

The solo players go off and do their things, causing the people who like to work with others to be few and spread out between towns, creating many different tent villages, and one city (Haven) that looks somewhat decent.

Or we try to have a moderate level or organization, and have a giant mass of tents and mansions together in one (preferably organized) bundle.

I personally prefer the second one, but it seems like 90% of T9k hates organization with a burning passion.
It's not organization people hate. It's limitation. No one wants to be told that the build they've spent hours on, and are proud of, needs to be taken down, moved or changed because 'it's in the way' or 'it doesn't match the theme'. No one can tell me there was a town not guilty of that in the more recent servers in some way.

It's not organization people hate. It's limitation. No one wants to be told that the build they've spent hours on, and are proud of, needs to be taken down, moved or changed because 'it's in the way' or 'it doesn't match the theme'. No one can tell me there was a town not guilty of that in the more recent servers in some way.
The only town to do that in outlands was Hoboville. You were to build a tent, not a house.

So I was like "Bitch, fuck yo physics" and built a tent out of gravel.

My original thinking was that if there was to be a huge town for everyone, there'd be no theme for building. Probably the only rules of 'Aesthetically pleasing and obeys gravity to some extent.' Other than that it'd just be a town of all different ideas and flavours.

I see one of two scenarios.

The solo players go off and do their things, causing the people who like to work with others to be few and spread out between towns, creating many different tent villages, and one city (Haven) that looks somewhat decent.

Or we try to have a moderate level or organization, and have a giant mass of tents and mansions together in one (preferably organized) bundle.

I personally prefer the second one, but it seems like 90% of T9k hates organization with a burning passion.
People don't always get along. For example, I wouldn't want to live near Tsysin. Giant cities never work on a fully public server. Hell, half the time they don't on private, goal-oriented servers with more than 20 people (have you SEEN the turnover rate of the Pyramid build? They went through over two hundred people).

*cough*MaridiaafterIgaveituptojoinHaven*cough*
Maridia did work out pretty well with the plot setup, inactives weren't too much of an issue. Hell we were in the process of creating multibiome plots for a little taste of mainland stuff. Also Safari Zone for days!!!!!!!!!!! Mwhahahahahaha!

I actually preferred the Lufenia setup that was working on, had a railway to have quick travel within town. Was working on making it elevated and we had a somewhat functioning trade district/storage repository thanks to the people of Lufenia.

I hated what you turned my discovery into, Bored. That wall was ugly as hell, and with the world border I found myself constantly teleporting to the other side of it while trying to get a cat. Fuck the safari zone.

Couple people discovered it, a lot of people harvested 'most' of the jungle trees before I was able to claim it and protect the rest of them, we had an ongoing project to reforest the area and even expand it out a bit. The wall was a bit tacky as I was using only materials I brought up there on the initial trip, but was going to convert it to wood after done with the reforestation. Sorry you felt so agitated about this, but we protected it from further harm.

People don't always get along. For example, I wouldn't want to live near Tsysin. Giant cities never work on a fully public server. Hell, half the time they don't on private, goal-oriented servers with more than 20 people (have you SEEN the turnover rate of the Pyramid build? They went through over two hundred people).

I may have to question those facts, and yes we should never be in close proximity. That would be pure choas

I just worry that the server will die out if we have 4-6 towns of 3-6 people in each.

I think everyone in close proximity would at least be worth a shot, but I seem to be the only one in favor of this.

#dramainhibitingeverythingelse, aspertheusual.

I just worry that the server will die out if we have 4-6 towns of 3-6 people in each.

I think everyone in close proximity would at least be worth a shot, but I seem to be the only one in favor of this.

#dramainhibitingeverythingelse, aspertheusual.

Also take note that people like their open space. One reason I started SanctFort with DarkPrime was because I enjoy being able to see the landscape from atop my tower with a few other homes dotted here and there. I don't enjoy the thought of living in an urban area where I can look only 100 meters in any direction and see large buildings blocking my view past them.

If the towns are big enough, having multiple towns won't harm the server's health. Do we want to have an actual plugin for the towns, or just rely on block history for keeping things safe? Considering that we can make maps, I suggest that we just use player-made maps instead of relying on dynmap.

Block history for keeping things safe, I say.

Because lets be honest here, most of the people who'll be joining this server will probably be long-time members of Team9000 and at maximum we'll deal with one incident.
Actually, question.
Will the server be Public or White Listed?

Also I think the best course of action is for people to /try/ and stay in one city, but if it gets too big people'll be free to move wherever they please.
Also people can just build what they want where ever they want, for those people who like building 200,000 blocks from spawn with their 300 tall cock-and-balls mansion, called the 'Erectile Conjunction'

I don't enjoy the thought of living in an urban area where I can look only 100 meters in any direction and see large buildings blocking my view past them.
That's like, my fetish, so I guess I'm a bit biased in that regard.

I just think it'd be cool to use a slightly different approach rather than what we've been doing since June 2011.

Maridia did work out pretty well with the plot setup, inactives weren't too much of an issue. Hell we were in the process of creating multibiome plots for a little taste of mainland stuff. Also Safari Zone for days!!!!!!!!!!! Mwhahahahahaha!

I actually preferred the Lufenia setup that was working on, had a railway to have quick travel within town. Was working on making it elevated and we had a somewhat functioning trade district/storage repository thanks to the people of Lufenia.
No offense, but Maridia was ugly as fuck and there was nothing but complaints from the people living there about town assistants abusing their power (The assistants that were pretty much just randoms, not the well known people from Team9000)
I was under the impression it was going to be white listed. If someone else hosts the server, I'm fine with it public, I guess.

But if it's going to be public, I'm not hosting it.

That's like, my fetish, so I guess I'm a bit biased in that regard.

I just think it'd be cool to use a slightly different approach rather than what we've been doing since June 2011.

That's also kinda the issue, we're trying to make big with only an allocation of small. I do think it'd be best if a city is built, there'd only be a small amount of planning (Roads and such) and somewhat large gaps between houses, since it'd be kinda lame with only like 9 houses all close together and a huge amount of infrastructure for nothing but empty plots.

Simply, we need to play it how the server goes, for the start we get a basic server up where we have a general idea of what we'll want to do, but we'll need to adapt because it's almost assuredly not going to go to plan, so for those who do want to actually do this will need to be able to deal with a change of plans and ideas.

I was under the impression it was going to be white listed. If someone else hosts the server, I'm fine with it public, I guess.
But if it's going to be public, I'm not hosting it.

I honestly wouldn't mind either way, I'd personally prefer having it on a whitelist, but with an application which is pretty fair and reasonable.

So, here are the general ideas, some of them clash but hey nobody's perfect.
Lets compile a list.

-Whitelisted
-Recommended that everyone stays somewhatly together in one city, but not a requirement
-Self regulation as in people keep an eye on other players and everyone with access to block info
-City/ies has very simple infrastructure.
-No bother with anti-chest things, keep it to "Protecting Diamonds with Traps and Lava"

-"Any inevitable drama is carried out by a court or something."-Kris, that the general server community that happens to be around has a discussion about the topic, may it be in a thread or game. Everyone has a say as to what happens, everyone has a voice. If there really is need for someone impartial to make a final judgement, I'm willing to do it. But it'd be better if it was a group choice/vote.
(When have I ever been in an argument of controversy against another memeber of T9K? Heh)

-"So I think the majority of us posting here are for a main world (like the Outlands) where everything is basically no-holds-barred (pvp, raiding, grief), and a few small, "sub-worlds" that are greylisted (can enter, but not build unless you're on the list), with LWC or similar for private chests, but no plots per say. Minimal plugins, only what is needed for smooth running of the server, nothing that will interfere with the Vanilla feel of the majority of the server."- Gurw

I almost for sure, missed a lot.
Add what else I missed.

But yea.. we do need to instead of trying to re-create old memories, need to create new ones.
I'unno, I'm fairly confident everyone knows that already.
I really do want this to work out, I really do.

EDIT:

Also, I think it's good we get an actual list of people who'll be up and willing to join/play.
-Melexiious

Will edit further when more Information is added.

EDIT 2:

Also, I think we should try and get the word out to older members of Team9000 who might not even bother checking the site anymore and have moved on, to see if they'd be interested. So if you know someone and still keep in contact them who were in these older maps and think they'd be interested, send them to this thread.

It will be nearly impossible to get a large number of people on a whitelisted server. I do enjoy playing with people I already know, but I also enjoy meeting new people in a server full of players. I would like to see some form of whitelisting with town worlds, but I stronly oppose a whitelisted server with a centralized town. Sure, there will not be a large influx of new players, but without something, the server will die out.

I am also one of the few people here who likes an urban environment. This and other differences would warrant the creation of separate towns. If there is one, large city suited to a particular person's desires, then most other people, without an official alternative, would form outposts in the Outlands and may dislike that just as much as living in the first town.

Block history for keeping things safe, I say.

Because lets be honest here, most of the people who'll be joining this server will probably be long-time members of Team9000 and at maximum we'll deal with one incident.
Actually, question.

Also I think the best course of action is for people to /try/ and stay in one city, but if it gets too big people'll be free to move wherever they please.
Also people can just build what they want where ever they want, for those people who like building 200,000 blocks from spawn with their 300 tall cock-and-balls mansion, called the 'Erectile Conjunction'
Public. The whole point is to return to the massive population of the golden days of the server.
So in the map Gurw and I joined in (1.0 Beta-1.6.6 Beta) Towns didn't spring up until about 3 months in. For the longest time we had one big town and everyone for the most part built there or the Outlands. The only reason towns ever started springing up in the outlands was because I built hobotown and any newbie players who didn't like my little settlement went and built there own lame ass towns. I don't know if this will repeat again and people will just live in one big town again like they used to but it might happen. If we did the multi worlds big towns like we used to that might also be cool.
OxyTown was the first city, Minetopia, Eagle Pass, and Elm Creek were added as time went on. Settlements in the Outlands were very common, and Hobotown was FAR from the first. I know of at least three major ones that existed before you built your first tent :p

Back