• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Team9000 Battle for Earth: Episode 6 part 1

Godliberator

A large puff of thick chewy smoke billows from Godliberator’s mouth as he reads over a stack of paperwork. Ozy sits across from Godliberator rolling his cigar on the ash tray to even the ash and let it fall into the tray.

“How is Beese doing?” Asked Ozy

Godliberator took a slow pull from his cigar before exhaling. “He will still be in the infirmary for a couple of weeks, but his new ribcage the docs gave him is healing nicely. He did a hell of a job with that last mission though, we pulled out two working power cores, a navigation system and we have a live Outsider specimen, and enough alien alloys that research was finally able to finish the production of an experimental armor system. They have done all of the in-house testing they can, and they want it field tested. We know of an abduction site in Russia that the council wants re-captured. Ozy, I want you to select five of your recruits to be outfitted in this new armor before being airlifted out to the abduction site. Our scans of the area show minimal resistance, should be a perfect spot to test out the new armor. “

“Do you think the rookies are up for it? “

“I think they have been cooped up here long enough. The recruits have been begging to get some surface time in, and I think they deserve to get a mission under their belts.” Responded Godliberator. “Pick a squaddie to go with them, give one of them a chance at some leadership experience as well.”

Ozy leans back in his chair to enjoy a nice long puff on his cigar. “I will have the list of recruits to you this evening”

Ozy leans forward, taps his cigar butt in the ash tray to put it out, before standing and exiting the room.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

“MAIL CALL!” came a shout from the entrance to the barracks. “If I call your name come see me, PIXIEL, MOONDOGGY, GREENEARTH, and CASEY!. That is all for today folks, better luck next time.”

Several letters and packages are handed out to the four of them before Casey is told to follow the courier to the mailroom to pick up his last package. Casey follows him out of the room as the other three open their mail.

The team crowds around the three of them to find out news from the outside. Pixiel received a letter from her brother who is stationed at a base on the surface letting her know that he was ok, and that he has not heard from their mother and father in a good while. He asked her to write back to let him know his letter made it to her and to see if she had any news on their parents. Moondoggy received a letter from his wife with a box containing a teddy bear you could record messages on. His wife let him know that they made it to one of the refugee bunkers and they were doing just fine, but she wanted him to record some messages for them on the teddy bear before sending it back to them. Greenearth got a letter from his family informing him that they were all fine and that they managed to bring his beloved pet cat along with them. The team was so pre-occupied with the three others they did not even notice Casey walk back through the door with a hand truck and a very large and heavy box. That is to say, until the sound of tape being ripped open was heard.

Casey did not even have the box opened before he was surrounded by the Care Package Vultures.

“ALRIGHT BACK IT UP!! Let me get it open first!”

Casey pushed several of the team back so he could get the box opened. The flaps were quickly flipped open and Casey pulled out a layer of bubble wrap and foam to find a letter on top.

Dear Casey,

The family misses you very much, and we are all very proud of you. We wanted to let you know that we were evacuated to a refugee bunker outside of town and we are all safe and sound. We know you miss us as well so we decided to send you a few things from home that you can share with your friends. I hope that this is enough to go around.
XOXO

Love, mom.

The box was full to the brim with cookies, candy, sweet breads, canned fruit, marshmallow fluff, peanut butter, magazines, shaving razors, socks, underwear, movies, and a large box of Twinkies.

“She always does this, she knows that I hate sweets, but she never fails to send me almost nothing but sweets. Though, from the way you all are looking at me, I would say that a few of you have a sweet tooth. Alright, let’s get to it then. I will start unpacking this and if you see something you want, just yell for it.”

Casey began to take out bags and boxes of junk food sent from his mother. The team rushed the box, running around snagging things as they came out of the box. Ozy walked into the room as the small riot began to escalate and managed to snag a couple bars of chocolate from what Tofurkey managed to get away with, Casey saw him and launched a small tin of shortbread cookies at him. After the care package had been torn through as though a freight train slammed into it; things quieted down as quickly as they erupted, and they sat down as a team to enjoy their scavenged care package items and bonded with each other as they ate and told stories of their lives before the attacks and before they were recruited by XCOM.

Tofurkey sat close to Casey and they talked about their families and the lives they both left behind. The small town Casey’s family came from was destroyed in the initial attacks. Casey was away on deployment when it happened and his family was one of the lucky few to escape, but there were so many other friends he had back home who did not make it and who he will never see again. The team fell into silence as they munched on the care package lost in thought about lives torn apart from the ongoing conflict. The care package was a much needed break and it was a reminder to the team about things that used to be.

Everyone thanked Casey and more importantly, they told him to thank his mother. Casey said he would write back and send everyone’s thanks back to her. He said that she would be ecstatic to hear how much everyone enjoyed her gift….even if a couple punches were thrown in the scuffle for sweets.

Ozy stood up and called the group together, still munching on a cookie as he did so.

“Casey, again, thank your mother for us. This was very generous of her. I have a bit of a surprise for all of you as well. Because of that last successful mission, research was able to develop a new armor system using the alien alloys that were recovered. They call it Carapace armor, and have developed it using the alien alloys from the hull of their space crafts. It has done well in lab testing but we want to field test it as soon as possible. This brings me to the reason am here right now, Operation Purple Shield, in Novgorod, Russia. This is a confirmed abduction site. This site is near the center of a metropolitan area, but our scans show minimal resistance. Godliberator requested that we give a handful of you recruits a chance to prove yourselves.” Ozy paused as he saw several of the recruits perk up at this information. “I have already made my selections for the squad that will be dropping in to clear the site. If I call your name, please stand and fall in next to me. The names are as follows: Greenearth, Tofurkey, Gurw, Casey, and Finally Konflakes. Konflakes will be taking point as squad leader on this operation. The five of you, please head to the armory to gear up before going to the loading dock for your mission briefing. Everybody else, as you were”

The chosen five ran to their bunks, stowed their items, grabbed their weapons, and headed for the armory as the rest of the team finished enjoying what was left of the care package.

“It is about time I got to see some action.” Said Gurw “I was wondering if they would ever let us have some fun”

“Cool those heels Gurw” said Konflakes “This is a mission and should be taken just as seriously as any other”

“Oh come off it Konflakes, this will be fun as shit and you know it”

Konflakes gave a little grin. “I won’t lie. I have been looking forward to another mission for a while now”

“Well there ya go then, fun as shit”

The team made it to the armory where a couple members of the research team awaited to help them into the new armor systems.

“This armor is kind of bulky” quipped Greenearth.

“Yea, but I bet you feel like you could stop a tank with this” said Casey “I know that is how I feel. Tofu’ Punch me in the chest as hard as you can”

Tofurkey ran towards casey, but instead of punching him in the chest he jumped and heel kicked him square in the chest as hard as he could. Casey was thrown backwards over a bench and smashed through a folding table.

The research team members stood eyes wide, shocked at what just took place. The rest of the team fell into riotous laughter.

“Fucking Christ Tofu’ I said punch me!”

“Did I hurt ya?”

“No, actually I didn’t feel a thing. Way to go research guys”

Tofurkey helped Casey out of the wreckage that used to be a table and in silent shock the research team members finished helping the squad gear up before hurrying out of the room.

“I think you scared em Furkey” said Greenearth “They sure left as fast as they could”

“They’ll get over it” Konflakes responded, “Ozy is waiting to brief us on the mission”

The team met with Ozy and Godlib for the quick mission briefing and the request was given that the team give a report upon their return regarding the capabilities of the new armor.

The jump jet was prepped and waiting for them as they entered the loading bay. Pre-flight and gear checks were completed, and the team lifted off towards Russia.

The trip there was smooth and uneventful as the jump jet soared just above the tree line. As the jet cleared the tree line and entered the city limits plasma bolts came from the abduction site. The pilot maneuvered the craft through the buildings as he evaded the enemy fire.

“I will get you as close as I can, but you will be making a quick exit.” The pilot shouted to the team.

The rear gangplank was lowered as they began to slow. Plasma energy soared past the deck as they came up on the drop zone. The pilot shouted the ten second mark and the team stacked at the gangplank.

“MARK” shouted Konflakes as the team exited off the back of the moving jump jet and made the five foot drop to the pavement.

The team rolled to a stop in the intersection. Greenearth slammed into an abandoned car caving in the door. Casey ran over to him and dislodged him from the door of the vehicle”

“STATUS!” shouted Konflakes.

The team’s com lights all blinked green as the team began to form up.

“So much for minimal resistance” chuckled Gurw.

“All the better to test out this armor” Konflakes responded.

Plasma arc’d over the teams’ heads as two Thin Men stepped out from cover.

Gurw snaps off a quick burst and drops one of the Thin men which forces the remaining one into a retreat. The team begins to advance in formation towards the cover the thin men retreated to as everything goes quiet.

“Why did they all just stop shooting?” Greenearth questioned.

“No idea, but I don’t fucking like it” Casey responded

The team continued to move towards the intersection.

“I am with you Casey, something is up” Gurw said.

“Stay on point, watch for movement” whispered Konflakes.

As the team crossed a stack of crumpled cars three floaters dropped in a few yards behind Tofurkey from the top of a building and focused their weapons in his direction. Tofurkey had no chance to spot them before he heard Casey shout.

“AMBUSH!! 7 o’clock!!” Casey sprinted and jumped to shield Tofurkey with his body from the incoming fire managing to squeeze off a burst of fire as several bolts of plasma impacted his chest and face pushing him into Tofurkey and pinning him to the ground.

Casey’s com light quickly flashed red to the team before going dark.

Gurw and Konflakes quickly turned and fired on the floater pack. Their rounds impacted on two of the floaters sending them reeling backwards in death into the third floater who managed to make a hasty retreat back to cover firing bolts of plasma over the heads of the team.

Casey was sprawled across Tofurkey’s legs in a charred and bloody mess. Tofurkey pulled himself out from under Casey and attempted to triage his wounds.

“GIVE ME A SIT-REP FURKEY!!” Konflakes shouted

“I AM GOOD, CASEY IS FUCKED UP THOUGH”

Tofurkey pulled his K-BAR and began to attempt to cut Casey’s chest armor off as the glow of the plasma scars on the armor began to dim. Greenearth started to make his way over to Casey and Tofurkey when the Thin Man who lured them into the ambush re-appeared and fired a shot at him. The plasma bolt soared past Greenearth nearly missing him and impacted on Tofurkeys shoulder. Tofurkey felt his armor absorb the shot and his blood began to boil in anger. Tofurkey, with his head pounding with rage charged the Thin Man. The distance between them was not small, but Tofurkey made the distance in record time. Tofurkey landed a punch on the Thin Man and heard the snap as its neck twisted from the force of the blow. Tofurkey stood over the thin man before stomping hard on its neck and emptying his entire magazine into the chest and head of the Thin Man. Tofurkey continued to bash the Thin Man’s head in with the butt of his assault rifle before Greenearth could make it to him to pull him off. Tofurkey slumped back against the side of a car before switching mags.

Gurw and Konflakes rush to Casey and maneuver him behind cover to begin triage on his wounds. Gurw hesitates at the sight of Casey’s injuries but he follows Konflakes orders pulls off his gloves and begins to slowly peel the armor away from Casey’s burned and lifeless body and carefully presses his fingers to Casey’s singed neck. Gurw holds his breath as he concentrates to find any sign of life. Gurw moves from Casey’s neck to his wrist. He yanks Casey’s glove off and feels for a pulse. Seconds seem like hours as the team watches Gurw.

Gurw looks up at Konflakes.

“Gone”, he says with a whisper.

To Be Continued……

Once again I hope you enjoyed this series and I would love to hear what you guys think. You can also post any comments or ideas in the thread for the series which can be found at this link right here.. Thank you for reading and look forward for Episode 6 part 2.

"Konflakes gave a little grin. “I won’t lie. I have been looking forward to another mission for a while now”"
I'd probably be rubbing my nipples as I said this.

But also, I don't know why but I just.. I just thought "Oh, I got a feeling casey's going down in this one." Shit.

Way to go konflakes, your first mission lead and this happens. Jerk.

First action, I got first blood on the mission, and apparently I'm in training to be a medic too. If that doesn't impress Patchy, I might have to just give up. *probably won't anyway*

*rubs kon's nipples to make him feel better for letting Casey die on his mission*

Back