Team9000 Secret Santa Idea

GiftedNarwhals

So i got this idea about maybe doing a Team9000 secret Santa.

For the people who dont know what a Secret Santa is a tradition, in which members of a group or community are randomly assigned a person to whom they anonymously give a gift. It offers a way for many people to give and receive a gift at low cost to those involved.

So someone would have to assign people others to be the Santa for. If i had Narhwals78 i would send him my gift anonymously or publicly, what ever i choose. However this could involve certain things that people may not be to sure about doing, such as giving out their address over the Internet to whoever could be organizing the event. However Team9000 is a good community and i believe we could pull this off in the right way.

The gifts could be anything from a 2$ steam game to 200$ game console. Just remember that not many people are probably going to spend upwards of 20$. Also their is the possibility of trolls that could just leech for free stuff. We could limit it to only known and active members. (such as the ones who go on mumble.)

Im looking for feedback on the idea and maybe someone who would want Organize and run it. I would do it, but i am not sure that many people would trust me with their information. Also things like shipping costs may get expensive to people overseas so we could maybe have more then "event" for different areas of the world.
if you would participate in this please say so in the comments

Tl;Dr Looking for ideas on a secret santa t9k type thing. Post if you would participate and any ideas. ty

This is a risky idea you have Narwhals. Giving out personal information to an unknown user over the internet is NOT a good thing. I''m sure there will be people uncomfortable about it. I will stay neutral for now.

This is a risky idea you have Narwhals. Giving out personal information to an unknown user over the internet is NOT a good thing. I''m sure there will be people uncomfortable about it. I will stay neutral for now.
thats why it would be through a PM to a selected contest "organizer" This could be an admin or a trusted figure among the community

Concerning the amount of self control most Team9000 members have with personal info.
vvvv
I accidentally posted a pic of the avatar change screen and it showed a glimpse of my gmail which is my name and people spammed my name after being asked to stop
I'm just saying its not the best idea information wise, everything else seems cool. :)

Concerning the amount of self control most Team9000 members have with personal info.
vvvv
I accidentally posted a pic of the avatar change screen and it showed a glimpse of my gmail which is my name and people spammed my name after being asked to stop
I'm just saying its not the best idea information wise, everything else seems cool. :)
So maybe there is another way around this whole information thing, i am just not sure...

I posted your last name as a joke and removed it immediately (6 minutes after when i saw your post) after you asked me to.
I meant no harm by it.
And a name is hardly personal details...

I posted your last name as a joke and removed it immediately (6 minutes after when i saw your post) after you asked me to.
I meant no harm by it.
And a name is hardly personal details...
Not you, there was another time. >.>

I was thinking of a similar idea a while ago, like a round-robin box. Where I would fill a box full of random items (Some good things and some junk) and whoever wanted the box, I would send it to them and they take whatever items they want and contribute some of their items into the box. It would go around until it returned back to the original sender. The only problems I saw with it would have been, would others be willing to pay the shipping costs to other Countries?

So if I was willing to organize this and ACTUALLY make it happen, how many people would want to participate? Not saying I'm going to do it, not untill I see who and how many people would get involved first.

I would love to do it as well, even if it is just a few people....It could still work and it doesn't have to be a big ordeal.

So if I was willing to organize this and ACTUALLY make it happen, how many people would want to participate? Not saying I'm going to do it, not untill I see who and how many people would get involved first.
Uhh there is a thread already doing it?

I'll do it but electronically. Why Electronically do you ask well. ill make them something electronically (i.e. Song, picture, texture pack...) and email it to them. Although it won't be very secret it will still be santa.

Back