Terminator: Genisys (DA FUQ IS THIS SHIT?!)

JerzeyLegend

So I grew up to Terminator... here's how it goes (as I remember it):

• 1984, Sarah Connor is attacked by a T-800 (Arnold) and saved by Kyle Reese, a human soldier from the future.
  • 1991, a T-1000 is sent back to kill John Connor (Sarah's son) and to prevent that a T-800/T-850 is sent back by John to protect his younger self. They destroy Cyberdyne to prevent Skynet from being created, and then the T-800 kills himself as he is the remaining link to Skynet.
  • 2003, A T-X is sent to the past 10 or so years later to kill all the resistance "leaders", then a T-850 is sent back to protect John and his future wife. Skynet is still uploaded and the nuclear war ensues even though the T-850 manages to kill the T-X. However, the plan wasn't to stop Judgement Day, it was simply to make sure they survive.
  • The 4th film does not delve into the timelime except that they manage to faceoff against a prototype T-800.

This brings me to the new film... Genisys.

Trailer:

So what I see here is that Kyle is sent back to 1984 to protect Sarah (John's mom), he runs into a T-1000 right away, and is saved by Sarah, who already knows a line from a T-800. She reveals that the original T-800 was killed by her and the 2nd T-800. Apparently the "time Kyle was sent back to doesn't exist". My mind is melting right now... WHAT EVEN?

What could have possibly happened? The only thing I can think of is Connor sending back a T-800 to a earlier time period after he sent Kyle as a precautionary measure, but he would have known Kyle was successful because if he wasn't... he wouldn't have existed (apart from the fact that he didn't know that Kyle was his dad).

So here is where I'm lost even more. In this movie Kyle didn't protect Sarah, which means they didn't do the nasty (yet), then how was John alive to send Kyle back? I guess the fact that John is even alive means that Kyle and Sarah do it at some point, but how did the 2nd T-800 get there? I can't even put all this together.

Someone smarter than me lay this shit out. This movie could either be great or fuck EVERYTHING IN THE BUTTHOLE!

Y'know how the friendly terminator in 2 and 3 explained stuff to John and friends? That probably changed the timeline. John knew he would be killed by a T-800 in the future so he saw it coming, figured that surviving when the T-800 said he would die would change things, bleh bleh. Pretty much leads to a new future, which in turn creates a new past. It's like an infinite loop :'v

Y'know how the friendly terminator in 2 and 3 explained stuff to John and friends? That probably changed the timeline. John knew he would be killed by a T-800 in the future so he saw it coming, figured that surviving when the T-800 said he would die would change things, bleh bleh. Pretty much leads to a new future, which in turn creates a new past. It's like an infinite loop :'v

You know, they never went into the possible paradox that could have happened because he told him. You'd think the 2nd T-800 would have instantly disappeared. You also would think Skynet would send itself further back to have itself built sooner.

It's like layers of time are happening instead of a paradox. We will never see the original timeline because no terminators were sent back in time in the first timeline. The first timeline leads to skynet sending back the T-800, which creates a new timeline with a new future (which is what we see in the movies), which in turn creates a new past, new future, etc. Genisys is the beginning of the third timeline.

It's like layers of time are happening instead of a paradox. We will never see the original timeline because no terminators were sent back in time in the first timeline. The first timeline leads to skynet sending back the T-800, which creates a new timeline with a new future (which is what we see in the movies), which in turn creates a new past, new future, etc. Genisys is the beginning of the third timeline.

That is a pretty good summation of how the movie people are using time travel theory. Basically, at some point and time, x did not happen because y was not there. What we saw in one particular movie does not necessarily happen in this film because the events after the previous films (the future) were changed, which changes the decisions to send bots/people to the past, which changes the past. Think of the timeline as stringy, rather than loopy.

That is a pretty good summation of how the movie people are using time travel theory. Basically, at some point and time, x did not happen because y was not there. What we saw in one particular movie does not necessarily happen in this film because the events after the previous films (the future) were changed, which changes the decisions to send bots/people to the past, which changes the past. Think of the timeline as stringy, rather than loopy.
So me jokingly posting that Doctor Who clip wasn't too far off of a good answer?

Back