• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

The Campus Martius of Rome - Minecraft Project

Zakkon

Campius Martius,
or the Field of Mars, in english
is a district in the northwestern part of Rome​
Campus martius.png

Behold! Rome, the average Minecrafter's wet dream. It's a city of great history and architecture and famous landmarks.
Not so surprising, the most famous landmarks have already been built in Minecraft, but I attend to top that.
But I'm going to start easy though, and set up one firm goal. Campus Martius may be considered a suburb to the heart of Rome, but it still had several beautiful, and now somewhat forgotten landmarks such as the Baths of Nero, the Theatre of Pompey, and ofcourse the infamous still-standing Pantheon. I will be building a somewhat detailed replica of the whole district as it whould've looked like during the 300's AD. However, it won't be an exact replica, due to the obvious blockyness of Minecraft and becuase I want to get several landmarks that have existed during different times into the same space.
For example, some buildings were destroyed in the great fire in 64 AD, while the Colusseum was built after the fire.
Between all the important landmarks, triumphal arches, and big streets will be a concrete jungle of roman architecture houses, each with a detailed exterior.

RegioIXRome.png

Current Progress Estimates:

Porte Triumphalis 95%
Porta Cornelia 80%
Arch of Gratian, Valentinian, and Theodosius 100%
Arch of Arcadius, Theodosius, and Honorius 100%
Via Tecta 15%
Via Recta 23%
Aurelian Wall 15% -ish (of the Campus Martius part of the wall)

Current Progress Pictures:
2011-11-17_03.06.30.png 2011-11-17_03.06.50.png 2011-11-17_03.07.12.png 2011-11-17_03.07.27.png 2011-11-17_03.07.49.png 2011-11-17_03.08.22.png 2011-11-17_03.19.19.pngmap 1.jpg2011-11-18_01.49.13.png2011-11-20_23.24.20.png

Additional Information:

This is currently being built on Minecraft Beta 1.9 pre5 single player survival, but as soon as nessesary mods come out for Minecraft 1.0 I can update the save and hopefully be able to use new kinds of blocks to further enhance the looks of the buildings, and make a more exact replica of the landmarks. And if you hadn't guessed it by now, I'm using inventory mods and WorldEdit to save time and effort from gathering and placing the huge amount of blocks needed for this project.
I may also in the future create a texture pack made just for this project, to give more vareity and accuracy into the looks of the buildings.
In the future I may copy the save to a multiplayer server and continue the construction there, if anyone's interested in helping me, or just wanting to laugh at me while I'm building.

I'll be updating with new pics as I go I'm looking forward to building the more "impressive" landmarks.

I need a better sand texture, that's not so yellowishly bright. Anyone know of a good texturepack that I could borrow fitting textures from?

What is this, only 2 replies? :O But I'm getting close to building the amphitheatre! Expect pics on the neighbouring houses soon.

Looking awesome there, zakkon.
I was going to say that you could also draw some filler inspiration from Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, but then I realized that your project is a thousand years pre-dated.

Looking awesome there, zakkon.
I was going to say that you could also draw some filler inspiration from Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, but then I realized that your project is a thousand years pre-dated.
Yeah that too, and the fact that in the 1500's Rome was a sacked, plundered, and broken ghost town compared to the 1.2 million populated city that I'm suggesting.

Back