The Deaf Community Thread

Tai_K_Yagami

As an advocator for the Deaf Community and a student of an American Sign Language Class, I have to finally speak out in disappointment and urgency of the Deaf Community. As we all know, the Nelson Mandela Memorial was held place December 10, 2013. During that event, many important leaders of the world gathered to pay tribute to the peaceful man. Standing right next to them, also, was an interpreter for the Deaf people attending and also tuning in to watch it on T.V. Unfortunately, as most of us are aware, he was a 'fraud' that had no meaning or depth in his signs; rather, they are gestures alone that uttered nonsense to the world in one of the most significant periods of history.

I found this video with Jimmy Kimmel highlighting the event:

My thoughts in general for the Deaf was disgust that the interpreter stood there hours on end miming his way through the speech. The Deaf will never be fully able to fathom the important influence of Mandela's leadersship and his campaigns. Yet, although this was a terrible thing that transpired that day, it brought the entire Deaf Community into the light of the world of hearing. It brings them closer to us as we are now than ever since Deaf President Now! (If anyone recalls that event).

Most importantly, it has brought me to share this thread that the Deaf are out there. They are completely capable of doing anything in the world that hearing people may accomplish except hear. If without that announcement of the 'fake sign language interpreter', then I would have still remained shy about sharing the culture I have been for some time immersed in.

If you guys have any thoughts similar to this event or thoughts about the Deaf Community in general, good or bad to share, I appreciate the concern.

Also, I found this cute little video link if you guys want to watch here x3

I personally do not believe there is any negative stigma in the United States towards deaf people. There are so few of them per 1000 people that many people will never even have legitimate contact with one in their life time, outside of older generations that naturally lose their hearing with age. There are services for the disabled in every facet of our society to make it so they can lead normal lives as best as they can.

This incident, while unfortunate, was a localized event. This guy is an asshole who is in over his head, and made a fool of himself. He will be disgraced for the rest of his life.

Deaf people can still read. It is not like they missed out on a huge important moment in history. for fuck's sake, I didn't even watch the memorial or read anything about it. I heard he died, and I moved on with my life, so while the incident is a little comical, I think the impact it had is negligible. Something like this would never happen in the US. You don't need media to celebrate his life and mourn his death.

I have never heard of deaf people being treated unequally. When did this happen?

I don't personally know anyone who's deaf but I have never needed to be informed deaf people exist, nor told that they can do everything hearing people can.

Being told deaf people are equal is like being told sea salt is just as useful as rock salt (aka, I can figure that out on my own). I don't mean to sound douchy here, but I'm just confused where this comes from.

as a precursor to all I am about to say, I have lived with deaf parents my entire life and live in a family that is comprised mostly of deaf people and do believe that I can add a valuable two cents to this.

1) it's quite disrespectful towards the deaf community what took place during the memorial service, really. the dude looks pretty fucking hilarious though

2) deaf people =/= retardation. it's not like they were born with severe autism or something. they can read (to an extent, from my experience), work, and go on about living a relatively painless life.
now, where things DO get a bit complicated are when they are in, say, a public area. being that my parents are both deaf and non-English speakers, they cannot read English at all (except mom, she is somewhat adept at reading and writing English). I have needed to interpret for my parents all my life, whether it was a time where I needed to go with them to the bank and make a deposit, withdrawal or what have you; going to the groceries and reading the English and sales prices, or simply telling them what a certain thing means, whether it is a sign, instruction, or anything.

where things get more complicated is when I need to fill out forms and talk to teachers and potential employers. provided that my parents are non-English speaking, they cannot fill out forms nearly at all, which I have to usually do on my own and ask them for the info when it comes, like if I go to the doctor to fill out something or if it is something in regards to their job. I take her phone calls, I handle my school life singlehandedly, I have to be there at their side in plenty of cases in public, and I have to translate between several languages.

3) in respect to what I have previously stated, deaf people can easily live a fruitful life, of which plenty of deaf people I personally know have children, well-paying jobs, and a solid social presence. however, a good portion of this is only because of translators that can make this happen and thus, deaf people (while not necessarily required) tend to lean on such a presence to at least be pointed in the right directions.

as a final note, my point of view may be different as my family (apart from myself and my little brother) are damn near technologically impaired and moved to the U.S. in the 1970s, bringing an entirely different culture with them.

I am a single adult living on my own, earning a decent incoming as a collegiate coach at one of the largest D-II schools in the country. I was born legally deaf. I am one of 6 six children, 3 of whom were also born legally deaf. I live a straight-forward life, but being deaf certainly has it challenges. I don't actually sign, but I started learning this summer, and am seeking to start learning again.

Here's the deal on why this interpreter is such a big mess.

Sign languages (yes, there are more than just one) is a completely different language, with it's own syntax and structure. It would be like if a speaking interpreter got up to translate someone from Spanish and the following happened.

Spanish Speaker speaking in Spanish: "Good day ladies and gentlemen."
"Translator": "Good number brocoli cheese"
Spanish Speaker: "Today, I bring you sad news"
"Translator": "Future forks Ben Hur chooses you"

English speakers would immediately recognize that the translator was a phony, and they would be pissed that the Spanish-speaking country got an "interpreter" who made a mockery out of their language and culture. For 4 hours. Essentially, Deaf people everywhere had their languages completely mocked, and people who don't sign had no idea, which made the ordeal worse. Deaf people are extremely proud of their language and their culture and are fierce defenders of their way of life. This is also why deaf people also get offended when Steven Colbert or SNL do a skit of the "fake signs" as "comedy," because to deaf people, it's not a joke- it's a way of life. It's a culture.

I will say this too. I find people who sign to be incredibly more animated and lively when they speak their language. When speaking with an ASL speaker (or any sign language speaker), the facial expressions and motions of the hands are incredibly lively. Sign languages are incredibly beautiful.

I wish I could explain it better. But for now, this is the best I can do.

Based on all that I've read here, my intentions were not to speak out that the Deaf were not equal, or that I felt like the Deaf have no place in this world. Rather, because of all that happened, this is very significant for the Deaf Community as a whole. It brings out Deaf Awareness and how they DO in fact share an enriched Deaf Culture and History, in which case, has been enlightened even more by the fact that these events have occurred. Also, in many cases, the Deaf have very little trouble being seen as unequal to any other person, but it is the very fact that we can't see or hear that they are Deaf people in society. One may walk down the street to look at another person to see that he or she is another ordinary individual walking by everyday not knowing he or she is d/Deaf. Of course, I am not Deaf myself, but for those that are and/or have relatives/friends who share this experience, they are extremely proud of their culture and the beauty of being part of any culture is sometimes lost to that of everyday experiences. Sometimes, to find them, we just have to take the time to sit down and look inside ourselves and maybe in others to recognize it.

Back