• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

The Moon

Jyk7

My friend Squish and I were collecting sand and sandstone so we could have a really neat structure made out of sandstone. As we cleared out a desert leaving nothing but jagged stone randomly jutting out of the ground, we decided that it looked like a moon biome.

Which got us thinking....

Suppose that meteorites randomly fell from the night sky, leaving behind individual meteorite blocks which could be mined. Then, suppose that if you took those blocks and arranged them in the classic Nether Portal shape and lit a fire in it, it made a portal to the moon!

The main feature of the moon would be an high diamond spawn rate. However, between awkward low gravity movement, different fluid behavior (tricky lava), and the constantly depleting air and heat bars, digging for much of anything would be a serious risk.

These risks can be mitigated by making a patchwork spacesuit out of Wool and Leather that decreases heat and air loss rate, and they can be eliminated by using Slime Balls on Alchemy workstations to seal the suit.

Wild speculation can't hurt, but it sure is fun.

My friend Squish and I were collecting sand and sandstone so we could have a really neat structure made out of sandstone. As we cleared out a desert leaving nothing but jagged stone randomly jutting out of the ground, we decided that it looked like a moon biome.

Which got us thinking....

Suppose that meteorites randomly fell from the night sky, leaving behind individual meteorite blocks which could be mined. Then, suppose that if you took those blocks and arranged them in the classic Nether Portal shape and lit a fire in it, it made a portal to the moon!

The main feature of the moon would be an high diamond spawn rate. However, between awkward low gravity movement, different fluid behavior (tricky lava), and the constantly depleting air and heat bars, digging for much of anything would be a serious risk.

These risks can be mitigated by making a patchwork spacesuit out of Wool and Leather that decreases heat and air loss rate, and they can be eliminated by using Slime Balls on Alchemy workstations to seal the suit.

Wild speculation can't hurt, but it sure is fun.
I like the secondary use for leather. It doesn't get enough as it is now. I think the idea needs a lot more work; the high diamond rate needs to always have that counter-acting force that increases the risk; no matter what they do. In other words, nothing should negate the air and heat losses, just reduce them.

I like the secondary use for leather. It doesn't get enough as it is now. I think the idea needs a lot more work; the high diamond rate needs to always have that counter-acting force that increases the risk; no matter what they do. In other words, nothing should negate the air and heat losses, just reduce them.
The Risk of going into the Space/moon area, Would be the constant weird patterns of lava, And the air/heat.
The High rated diamond spawning, Would be countered by the heat and the lava. As this would be the same as Normal biomes, But the lava would be tricky to avoid, As the lava could be changed for this location to travel up.

Asteroids that fall from the space into the Minecraft world would also be a good idea, As they can contain any random resource deep in the center of them.

New blocks would be required for the moon/asteroirds, so they create a new and exciting exploration area. ( if that makes sence *derp* ) New the blocks would also test new building idea's. Only one problem with the whole thing, We would somehow need to get this out to other people, So this could possibly become part of the game in the future.

Actually, in the vaccum of space your body wouldn't lose all that much heat as there's not much matter in space to absorb that heat. In fact space is almost the perfect insulator, during spacewalks when performing complex tasks, astronauts are faced with a very real overheating problem and the spacesuit is design to dissipate their body heat. Your naked skin would probably just feel cool or something in space. The main problem without a suit is of course suffocation, the contents of your lungs are very quickly expelled due to pressure differences.

As for the idea in general, that would be amazing. I would love portals to different planets in minecraft and I think that would add a whole new level of entertainment to the game.

Actually, in the vaccum of space your body wouldn't lose all that much heat as there's not much matter in space to absorb that heat. In fact space is almost the perfect insulator, during spacewalks when performing complex tasks, astronauts are faced with a very real overheating problem and the spacesuit is design to dissipate their body heat. Your naked skin would probably just feel cool or something in space. The main problem without a suit is of course suffocation, the contents of your lungs are very quickly expelled due to pressure differences.

As for the idea in general, that would be amazing. I would love portals to different planets in minecraft and I think that would add a whole new level of entertainment to the game.

I never knew that about astronauts overheating. Thing is, the moon's surface isn't a true vacuum. I'm guessing that the main temperature variable would be sunlight. So, how about this:

When you "land" on the moon, you are temperature neutral. As you do things (including just standing in sunlight or near lava) you accumulate heat units. When you get ten heat units, you begin to lose half a heart a second until half health (easy difficulty) one half heart (normal) or death (hard)

As you stand in the shade or "earthlight", you accumulate cold units. When you get ten cold units, you take damage just like you would from ten heat units.

The Spacesuit would decrease (or possibly eliminate) changes in the temperature bar.

I think we should also discuss possible hostile mobs on the moon. The standard Skeleton/Zombie/Creeper/Spider set would be ok, though I would prefer laser spewing aliens with jetpacks and spaceship backup. Just give the aliens the same AI as the Blazes and make the ships behave like Ghasts.

Oh, and Spacesuits should have little or no armor value :devil:

Or maybe, Spacesuit design would be a two step process. Take the chestpiece. First, make a backpack Redstone generator. Then, you need to use Wool and Iron to make the main body casing. Next, use Wool and Leather to make the Sleeves and Gloves. Finally, combine Powerpack, Body, Sleeves, and Gloves into the same suit! Depending on whether you used Iron, Gold, Leather or Diamond in certain places your suit would have different armor values!

Idea-

Blank-Glass-Blank
Blank-Any Chestplate-Blank =Space suit (allows safe moon travel)
Blank-Any Pants-Blank

Space pigs (Pigs...In... SPACE!)
Alien enemy mobs
No day or night, meaning mobs spawn just like in the Nether
Moon rock, Crater Biomes, and arrows fly perfectly straight.

Idea-

Blank-Glass-Blank
Blank-Any Chestplate-Blank =Space suit (allows safe moon travel)
Blank-Any Pants-Blank

Space pigs (Pigs...In... SPACE!)
Alien enemy mobs
No day or night, meaning mobs spawn just like in the Nether
Moon rock, Crater Biomes, and arrows fly perfectly straight.
Why can i not Double like your post :)

By blank, He means in the 3x3 grid, You would have nothing in the blank spots. So Staight down the center would be the suit.
Oh, in that case the design isn't nearly complicated enough. It needs bells. And whistles.

Yeah, I'm a little attatched to crafting gloves, sleeves, casings, and powerpacks to combine into a suit.

More ideas (I really want a new place similar to the Nether to explore)

Blank-Blank-Blank
Iron-Iron-Iron =Rovers (Boats on land basically, when destroyed break into iron.
Stone-Blank-Stone (stone for wheels. Maybe replace with Iron Blocks)

New ores, (Ex. Lunonium, Plexatrolium, Throllerite)
Completely sealed houses become air-tight, allowing you to remove Space suit.
Space suit protects you completely from damage, but if it breaks, you suffocate.
Dropped items float around aimlessly.
Space Creepers (Cuz we can!)
Repair kit (for any armor or weapon, including space suit)

Maybe craft them to make Gems, which can be used to give a SPECIFIC enchantment to a weapon or armor, Heal/Harm, Teleporters (No /tp required!), and craft them to make Moon portals (asteroids would contain these materials)

How gems would work:

By arranging different ores in different patterns would give you a Gem. Gem's won't tell you their enchantment until AFTER being crafted, so you couldn't just keep arranging them until you found Power V or Silk Touch

Maybe craft them to make Gems, which can be used to give a SPECIFIC enchantment to a weapon or armor, Heal/Harm, Teleporters (No /tp required!), and craft them to make Moon portals (asteroids would contain these materials)

How gems would work:

By arranging different ores in different patterns would give you a Gem. Gem's won't tell you their enchantment until AFTER being crafted, so you couldn't just keep arranging them until you found Power V or Silk Touch

Soooooo,

Every tool and armor piece has a "gem slot", which could accept one gem that could not be removed after being set. I think that we'd be better off if there was a "gem block" that when mined dropped a random upgrade gem.

They could also be color coded. Say, red gems applied to axes, blue to shovels, and so on. That way it will be helpful enough to be worth it, but not just silly overpowered.

Soooooo,

Every tool and armor piece has a "gem slot", which could accept one gem that could not be removed after being set. I think that we'd be better off if there was a "gem block" that when mined dropped a random upgrade gem.

They could also be color coded. Say, red gems applied to axes, blue to shovels, and so on. That way it will be helpful enough to be worth it, but not just silly overpowered.
Also, another idea is Gems cannot be made with 100% accuracy, but instead have a different likeliness of a good one depending on what combination of ores you use. Or They could be made With accuracy, either way would work. Also, maybe weapons and armor would have a random amount of Gem slots, ranging from 0-3. Gem slots would be rendered useless if the item was enchanted using an Enchantment table, making Gems a better way of enchanting than tables.

Back