• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

The room full of portals at spawn.

Originally where those portals are was one of the NPC "shop" locations... however there wasn't an NPC shop in this incarnation of the server.
Eventually, after NPC villagers were added to the game and the server updated to accommodate them, there was an NPC villager in that room.
Then at one point I believe Wooty had said that he was considering creating portals out to key locations (possibly condos, etc). Shortly thereafter the room was closed off and revamped to include the portals presumably in preparation to link them to said "key locations".

By this point players were already making steady progress on major rail lines to provide some easier means of transportation until such a time as portals were put in place. I'm not sure if Wooty never fully decided on implementing, just never got around to it, or decided that since we had rails (somewhat) in place it wasn't needed any more.

Regardless the portals don't go anywhere until linked to another portal. There have been a few points where the links on existing portals (Mining World and Nether as this was pre-End zone) broke and anyone attempting to use them didn't go anywhere. In the case of the Mining World, when the link broke, it just made you stand there watching the purple swirlies and nothing happened. In the case of the Nether portal, when the link broke, you just landed in the lava and died. Fun times. End result, though, it's almost certain the portals in the sealed off room go absolutely no where as no other portal was built and they weren't linked anywhere. Wooty could certainly add one in the next few days and link them... or just link them to each other if he wanted... but for now, they're just for show like any orther portal a player could make.

but since none of us have gone through, none of us know the real answer <3
I do know the answer. I'm a Void Walker, along with a limited number of other people, we can get almost anywhere on the server. I have stood in the portals - they go nowhere....except into another part of the spawn building full of cake, fireworks, and diamond blocks.

Ooo ooo! I have an idea! We could have portals that go nowhere! Like... random places? You'll never know where you end up, and you have no way of returning.... (unless you want to walk which in real time isn't actually that long.

There used to be a plugin that did that-if you made a portal and walked in it'd say "this portal goes nowhere!"
And then it would send you flying and do fall damage.

There used to be a plugin that did that-if you made a portal and walked in it'd say "this portal goes nowhere!"
And then it would send you flying and do fall damage.
That plugin is likely still on the server, it's called MultiVerse2.0 and is one of the most popular multi-world plugins out there.

Back