The State of the Industry

katphish

Just wanted to share this with everyone.

I felt that Moondoggy's blog post could just as well have expanded into a discussion over the forums, especially after having seen this video.

I'd write a longer OP but most of us already know exactly what these issues are (we probably even have our points well-rehearsed). Feel free to vent or discuss on matters within the industry that we so love (or hate).

This video was posted as the Random Video of the Moment a few days ago. Although it resonates somewhat with the current trend of the industry, I feel that it is a misrepresentation of how the industry progresses. There are large publishers that will only put most of their effort and resources into games they know will have great success, and that is why there seems to be so many sequels or re-makes of classic games.

There are other publishers who are willing to take a chance on new IPs and release them and those games become great successes. There is one game that is being published by Namco-Bandai that I'm interested in called Ni No Kuni that was only going to be released in Japan, but has garnered enough attention that Namco is going to release it for the PS3 sometime in 2013 in the US.

One of the things I think a lot of people forget is that a company will change it's business model if they see their current model isn't generating any more profit. We, as consumers, have the ability to make some changes within any industry with our wallets. Companies are looking at how their product affects their bottom dollar, and if they see that their products are creating a negative trend, then they are going to make different ways to attract new revenue. I know that is a generalization, but there is some truth in the matter.

Back