• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

The value of diversity

Nordiclovepotion

Hello everyone, this is probably the first serious post you've ever seen me make, but this is an issue very close to my heart. With all the hostility towards immigrants in the U.S (Where I live) all I can think is, why?. I am very passionate about diversity and the value and enrichment it brings into our lives. If there is a God, the plethora and sheer abundance of different personalities, races, languages, and backgrounds is by far his greatest gift to us in this life. If there isn't a God, the alien slimes who created us knew what they were doing.

Anyways, words cannot express how passionate I am about discovering and delving into new cultures and life experiences. I have bothered many people (BradW, Girls_is_awesome, and others) about their cultures and how they get by in their everyday lives. I love to learn about you guys, and it makes me so happy to talk about your lives.

If any of you are prejudice against anyone, I implore you to look at the greater scheme of things, how many different people enrich the way you live. Japanes Technologies, food from Mexico, and the fact that almost all modern music can trace it's roots back to African spirituals. Also, not only the material things we can get from one another, but what we can learn from each other.

One of the main reasons I spend so much time in gaming communities/MMOs is the sheer amount of different people contained within. It's a valuable thing, one more of the many reasons that make technology wonderful.

-Nordic

Diversity does indeed make the world a much more colorful place, both literally and figuratively. Especially so here in Singapore where the racial mix is a point of focus or pride of the country. Very few other countries can have more than 1 races living together without being at each other's throats all the time. But this is because the different races I mention are not immigrants, they're born and raised here for generations and are a part of the racially diverse community. Towards immigrants, however, I must admit there have been some hostility. The government claims that because the "fertility rate" is low, they have to bring in more foreigners into the country for it to grow, and because of that, the amount of immigrants in the country is growing at an alarming rate. The major complaint is that these foreigners are taking up the jobs that the locals feel they should have instead, causing the hostile feeligings towards them. As much as I would like to avoid pointing fingers, I'll mention that the hostility is mainly directed towards those of China and Philippine nationality, and probably some of India as well.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate any specific race just because I mentioned the above; I treat all races, including my own, equally bad.

I don't think it is hostility toward immigrants per say but more hostility toward ILLEGAL immigrants. I think these people are ruining it for all of the families that work their ass to immigrate legally and a lot of traffic coming across the southern border of the US is drug traffic. These mexican drug cartels are doing some horrible, vicious shit and if you are interested let me know and I will message you a link to a site with some videos showing what they are doing.

I am not prejudice against anyone for their race alone. I just don't think our government is doing what is needed to stop the violence and drug traffic on southern US borders. Just my two cents.

The US has historically been known as a Melting Pot, and equally xenophobic of any new large influx of any particular race/nationality that may move into the country at that time. When the US was first founded, there was a large in flux of German immigrants (so many that there was even consideration of making English and German the offical languages of this country), then it was Irish and Chinese, then Italians, then Eastern Europeans. The list goes on. In any case, within a gnereation or two, that cluture is assimilated into our own and becomes a part of America (the USA).

In each wave of new immgrants, there will be those few who ruin it for the majority (see Clayto's post), but people come here for the chance to succeed. It'll be difficult to find any other place on the planet that will reward you for hard work and determination with success and a positive well-being.

I know sounds a bit propaganda-ish towards the end, but that is how I feel.

Drug traffic from south of the border will always make it's way into the U.S.A one way or another; lowering DEMAND for drugs within our borders is a bigger issue. .02

Bah Humbug get those illegal immigrant scum out.

On another note thanks to diversity guess what happens? Problems. Look what happened to South Africa, Rhodesia, and now the USA. Going down the tubes because there are too many problems to deal with and nobody gets along.

Yeah "GTFO" because illegal immigrants is a good thing and diversity will solve all our problems. JOY! I guess you didn't look to see what happened to Rhodesia.

StTheo let me know how that turns out for you and your...pals, assuming you can tell me.

I wouldn't say full neo-confederate. Would I support a new Confederacy right now? No, the reason being it would be impossible and impractical.

@Admiral

How is diversity harmful? How do you suppose it will or will not help our problems? Give specific examples and do not hide under your example "Look at Rhodesia." Perhaps you should enlighten us on what exactly was done that makes you believe diversity is "bad."

Allimon, look at the history of Rhodesia. It was a great nation and had a lot to live for. Thanks to certain people who think these unqualified people should enter government to promote diversity it ruined the country.

How did it ruin that country? What I'm reading is that all that really happened was a war for independence from the British rule, much like our own. Perhaps some of the people were unqualified, but who the fuck cares? I bet many people would say the same thing about America today. Half the politicians here are pretty much bought out. The thing is, is that they are qualified now and what was once known as Rhodesia is now Zimbabwe.

Admiral, please don't come onto my thread about diversity and start a flame war, it is nearly impossible to say that diversity is a bad thing when there are people from the U.S, Singapore, Australia, and possibly other who have liked/commented on this post. You are not going to win said argument, and arguing without any possible outcome is just hostility.

Back