Unfortunate PC Problem

amaterasu

So, last night I was playing TF2 on my computer when the monitor suddenly shut off and my driver stopped running. The power was on, and you could see that light that indicates it was on, but nothing else, except for a notification light that the laptop was charging. I turned off the computer, then turned it back on, but nothing worked. I tried it several more times, but still the same result. I'm assuming that this may be a monitor problem, but it's not just the monitor that's been affected, but also some of the internal PC parts too. I'm starting to think this is a virus, because it seems to have affected a lot on my PC. I also tried to run it while charging the PC, but it didn't work either. I'm writing this from my home PC, if you didn't know how I was even typing this.

Please help. :confused:

So, last night I was playing TF2 on my computer when the monitor suddenly shut off and my driver stopped running. The power was on, and you could see that light that indicates it was on, but nothing else, except for a notification light that the laptop was charging. I turned off the computer, then turned it back on, but nothing worked. I tried it several more times, but still the same result. I'm assuming that this may be a monitor problem, but it's not just the monitor that's been affected, but also some of the internal PC parts too. I'm starting to think this is a virus, because it seems to have affected a lot on my PC. I also tried to run it while charging the PC, but it didn't work either. I'm writing this from my home PC, if you didn't know how I was even typing this.

Doesn't sound like a virus to me, sounds more like hardware failure. Your graphics card (onboard graphics since its a laptop?) probably shit the bed on ya.

There should be either a VGA or, if you have a newer laptop, an HDMI port on your laptop. Hook a monitor up to it and power it on. On your "F" keys there should be one with a picture of a computer monitor on it (mine is F5). Hold down your function key (fn) and press that "F" key. It should toggle between the connected monitor and the laptop screen. If you laptop runs normally though the monitor you probably have a bad screen, backlight or inverter. If it doesn't work you probably have a bad motherboard. Either way if your laptop is still covered under warranty the manufacturer should be able to fix this problem. If not and you have a bad motherboard, replacing it is pretty costly and that money might be better invested in a new laptop. All the data on your hard drive should be fine.

Doesn't sound like a virus to me, sounds more like hardware failure. Your graphics card (onboard graphics since its a laptop?) probably shit the bed on ya.

There should be either a VGA or, if you have a newer laptop, an HDMI port on your laptop. Hook a monitor up to it and power it on. On your "F" keys there should be one with a picture of a computer monitor on it (mine is F5). Hold down your function key (fn) and press that "F" key. It should toggle between the connected monitor and the laptop screen. If you laptop runs normally though the monitor you probably have a bad screen, backlight or inverter. If it doesn't work you probably have a bad motherboard. Either way if your laptop is still covered under warranty the manufacturer should be able to fix this problem. If not and you have a bad motherboard, replacing it is pretty costly and that money might be better invested in a new laptop. All the data on your hard drive should be fine.

I may have used the wrong term(s) when I stated my problem. It ain't the driver. It's the thing that you hear when you start up a PC (not sure what it is, CPU?).

I may have used the wrong term(s) when I stated my problem. It ain't the driver. It's the thing that you hear when you start up a PC (not sure what it is, CPU?).
The CPU itself makes no noise. If you mean the CPU fan...well, if that didn't turn on, then the CPU may have overheated and fried.

Is this the same laptop that you were getting help installing your new GPU drivers on? Or is it the new one you got?

1.) Monitor died.

2.) If you can see video and it's shit dark, your inverter died.

3.) GPU took a crap.

4.) Video cable for monitor is loose, or took a crap.

5.) Motherboard shit the bed. <--- worse case scenario.

All of them involve opening.

Tips/Troubleshooting:

Get a 2nd monitor, hook it up your VGA/DVI/HDMI port. If video displays correctly (even if low resolution) on the monitor then it's possible LCD failure.

Hold a light behind you, look at the monitor. If you see video but it's not lit, then there's a chance that the inverter (which converts electricity for the backlight) is out, or even possible the backlight is bad.

If you see the logo during POST, press F8 and choose VGA mode. If it starts fine, this means your drivers are bad.

LCD monitors on laptops are so troublesome. I always take it step by step. First see if it is at least the monitor by doing the first tip, if it isn't GPU/Mobo failure, take apart your LCD, check connections. If you see video and its dark, replace inverter first. If you see no video, you can either just replace the LCD and hope for the best, or take it to a repair shop which usually has similar or other monitors which they can use to see if a new/used one would help.

If its a laptop there's nothing you can do that's humanly possible by opening it and changing hardware.

Better grab the warranty, head back to the shop and demand a refund or some sort.

Don't bother repairing it yourself, you'll end up voiding the warranty.

Jerzey pretty much spelled it out. it sounds like a hardware problem to be sure. If your pc is still in warranty, then I would call the manufacturer and get it warranty repaired which is always the better option. If you do not have a warranty, follow the steps jerzey said, and when you diagnose what part failed on you, go to the internet and shop for a replacement part.

the good thing about this place, is there are several of us who know tons about fixing computers, so if you continue to need help, just let us know.

1.) Monitor died.

2.) If you can see video and it's shit dark, your inverter died.

3.) GPU took a crap.

4.) Video cable for monitor is loose, or took a crap.

5.) Motherboard shit the bed. <--- worse case scenario.

All of them involve opening.

Tips/Troubleshooting:

Get a 2nd monitor, hook it up your VGA/DVI/HDMI port. If video displays correctly (even if low resolution) on the monitor then it's possible LCD failure.

Hold a light behind you, look at the monitor. If you see video but it's not lit, then there's a chance that the inverter (which converts electricity for the backlight) is out, or even possible the backlight is bad.

If you see the logo during POST, press F8 and choose VGA mode. If it starts fine, this means your drivers are bad.

LCD monitors on laptops are so troublesome. I always take it step by step. First see if it is at least the monitor by doing the first tip, if it isn't GPU/Mobo failure, take apart your LCD, check connections. If you see video and its dark, replace inverter first. If you see no video, you can either just replace the LCD and hope for the best, or take it to a repair shop which usually has similar or other monitors which they can use to see if a new/used one would help.

So, my dad and I went to get it checked it out, and, unfortunately, as it turned out, the motherboard got faulty.

Remaining question: Invest in new PC, or repair?

So, my dad and I went to get it checked it out, and, unfortunately, as it turned out, the motherboard got faulty.

Remaining question: Invest in new PC, or repair?

Did you heed our advice and hook a monitor up to it? Did you check to see if you could vaguely see an image on the dark screen? I would say try these things yourself. If the signs DO point to a bad motherboard, no don't get it fixed. Get a new laptop with a warranty. Keep in mind that stuff gets misdiagnosed all the time. It is real easy to slap the "bad motherboard" label on something when you are a computer repair technician and don't have the time or don't want to deal with it.

Did you heed our advice and hook a monitor up to it? Did you check to see if you could vaguely see an image on the dark screen? I would say try these things yourself. If the signs DO point to a bad motherboard, no don't get it fixed. Get a new laptop with a warranty. Keep in mind that stuff gets misdiagnosed all the time. It is real easy to slap the "bad motherboard" label on something when you are a computer repair technician and don't have the time or don't want to deal with it.

Yes, I did heed your advice. It did point to a bad motherboard. Thing is, there never was a warranty to this laptop, or it already expired. This was a hand-me-down from my dad.

Yes, I did heed your advice. It did point to a bad motherboard. Thing is, there never was a warranty to this laptop, or it already expired. This was a hand-me-down from my dad.
Your laptop doesn't work.
Mine is running Win98.

You still have it better than I do.

How even?

You can get a laptop running XP for practically free now-a-days.
Not this one. This one was designed for Win95... I don't think it could handle XP. Was my grandmother's and ended up becoming mine.

And if I misread, and you are saying buy one with XP on it, I'm broke as shit.

Back