Vorsprungity Thread

I have an issue with the blank slate statement. In order to learn, or even to have some measure of intelligence at all, it cannot be truly blank. This would not be the mind of a newborn, but the mind of the braindead from birth.
You must've read some psychology book eh? To illuminate on this, there are certainly some points to note that we are born with specific emotions, behaviors and actions to express. How we express it separates us humans from animals such as the chimpanzee in which they carry a smaller brain capacity and the main difference would be the complexity of our language. So, you're right to the basic point that we aren't "braindead" from birth certainly.

From your response though, wouldn't that then make it difficult to even have a possible learning AI? I mean, if it all goes back to evolutionary and biological factors, then robots will sure to fail at being slightly human at all... right?

You must've read some psychology book eh? To illuminate on this, there are certainly some points to note that we are born with specific emotions, behaviors and actions to express. How we express it separates us humans from animals such as the chimpanzee in which they carry a smaller brain capacity and the main difference would be the complexity of our language. So, you're right to the basic point that we aren't "braindead" from birth certainly.

From your response though, wouldn't that then make it difficult to even have a possible learning AI? I mean, if it all goes back to evolutionary and biological factors, then robots will sure to fail at being slightly human at all... right?
I choose to believe we're approaching it the wrong way. Why would you, for your first car, try to build a machine that can match or outdo everything else out there? Similarly, we should first try to recreate the basic instincts of the most basic animals, rather than the most complex and powerful machine we know of.

I choose to believe we're approaching it the wrong way. Why would you, for your first car, try to build a machine that can match or outdo everything else out there? Similarly, we should first try to recreate the basic instincts of the most basic animals, rather than the most complex and powerful machine we know of.
We begin with mice.

We begin with mice.
Not even. Far too complex. In fact, let's leave out one of the three basic instincts: reproduction. Make a robot that searches for food (power outlets/magnetic fields) and shelter (small, dark places to hide). Give it enough power to learn, and enough durability to survive a few mistakes. Let it roam free in your house, like a metal pet. See what happens.

Not even. Far too complex. In fact, let's leave out one of the three basic instincts: reproduction. Make a robot that searches for food (power outlets/magnetic fields) and shelter (small, dark places to hide). Give it enough power to learn, and enough durability to survive a few mistakes. Let it roam free in your house, like a metal pet. See what happens.
What animal or creature, even, in particular would exemplify such? Perhaps not even an animal because of the simplicity of its function. Maybe something like insects?

We're able to simulate the brain of a cat. Coincidentally, Google's artificial brain, after viewing random images from YouTube, eventually began to recognize cats and human faces.

Back