VPN Question(s)

moondoggy23

I'm interested in setting up my own private VPN. I don't have cable/satellite and my wife and I stream most of our shows from show websites and to our TV through Chromecast. Would it be possible for me to set up my own VPN in my house and have the ability to access regionally blocked content?

I know we used Hamachi for VPN playing Age of Empires II over WAN but I'm sure you can setup something on the LAN. For regionally blocked content though I'm kinda unsure on, I guess you would have to fix your hosting internet connection to go through a proxy of some sort. Just been awhile since I've had to mess with all that stuff. :p

Hamachi is (on its own) a lan vpn only, and won't forward regular internet requests. You'll have to either purchase VPN service from a US VPN provider, or get your own VPS and install a VPN server yourself (much more complicated).

Getting a subscription to a VPN service is much easier than setting up my own, and it'd still be cheaper than getting cable/satellite. My only issue is that I don't think I'd use it as much as I'd be paying for it, but the free or trial versions of VPN hosts don't allow enough data useage. From what I can gather, it does seem the amount effort/money I'd need to do the initial set-up of myown VPN that can access regionally blocked content would be much more costly than the alternatives.

The problem with setting up your own VPN to access regionally blocked content is that you would have to figure a way to get the VPN server physically located in a place that's able to view that blocked content. Essentially what you're wanting to do is route your traffic through a server in order to make it look like your requests are coming from somewhere else. Unless you've got some cross country or international (depending on where you want to route your IP address through) connections, it's going to be rough to find a cost effective way to host your own server in the location you'd need to.

Back