• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Wanted: Workers to dig giant hole in the ground

oozinator

Hello everyone!

Though it's titled like one, I can assure you this is not an Onion article. This is a legit building project.
Ladies and gentlemen, I propose that we dig out a crater.

4431-winslow-barringer_crater2.jpg

First off, let it be known that I like big holes, and I cannot lie. And I know that you other brothers can't deny this either.
Thus, I've made this thread to generate public interest and hopefully to find others willing to toil alongside me.

I've already scouted out a location (epicenter around 816, 39, -1048) that I think would be perfect for the crater (see "Plans") and have engineered its shape. The crater is in a location where it will be overlooked by a large hill, so you know the view will be awesome. I also chose this spot taking natural aesthetics into consideration - this project will not destroy any existing special natural features.

Specifications

The crater will be 26 blocks deep and just under 120 blocks in diameter. This is wide enough to still look impressive while allowing visitors to still see the entire crater on normal render distance. The depth was chosen to minimize the risk of running into unsightly monsters spawners. Hollowing out the crater would be equivalent to hollowing out 9 chunks (16 x 16) from surface to bedrock and should yield about 40-43 double chests worth of blocks (close to 150,000 blocks). This is why I'd like some help.

Engineering

You may think that you can afford to be careless digging out a hole, but I'm going to need meticulous people for this one. I want this crater to look perfectly smooth and symmetrical, so I've created a height map and crater profile (see "Plans") to aid in cutting out the slopes. Those who'd like to help should study these.

Legacy

Once the crater is completed, I'd like to see the area protected in some way. I haven't decided whether I should get Kagato to zone off the area or just erect a simple perimeter fence. I would like the crater bottom to be accessible by the public though. The end product should look similar to this, but wider, cleaner, and not as deep:

minecraft_crater_by_soulsilver1056-d3g1e7n.png

Plans

Map

cratermap.png

Crater Profile (1:1 Pixel:Block scale)

Red represents the actual volume of the crater. Ignore the black circle.

craterprofile.png

Crater Height Map (1:1 Pixel:Block scale)

Each colored ring represents a height level that needs to be removed. The outermost ring is closest to the surface

craterheightmap.png

[collapse=TL;DR]Let's dig a crater, yo.

Crater Specifications

- Epicenter (lowest center point): 816, 39, -1047 thru 817, 39, -1048
- Surface Height: 65
- Max Diameter: 116 blocks
- Max Depth: 26 blocks
- Amount to be removed: ~150,000 blocks (Equivalent to nine 16 x 16 x 64 chunks, or 43 double-chests of blocks)

Read "Plans" carefully for blueprints.[/collapse]

Now can I get some volunteers?

As I have no plans currently in Survival, I will participate in this project.
A few questions, however:
  • Are pickaxes/shovels supplied or do we need our own?
  • Do we keep the blocks we mine or do they go to you?
  • Do we get paid or is this volunteer work?
  • And, is transportation provided or do we have to walk?

As I have no plans currently in Survival, I will participate in this project.
A few questions, however:
  • Are pickaxes/shovels supplied or do we need our own?
  • Do we keep the blocks we mine or do they go to you?
  • Do we get paid or is this volunteer work?
  • And, is transportation provided or do we have to walk?

At the moment, I don't have any tools available, but I'll be spending a few days or so acquiring them. Until then, volunteers would help the most by clearing the area around the center. I'll try to mark out the outlines for each level so you know how far to dig.

By all means, keep the blocks you find! Sand is pretty much the most valuable thing right now, and it's gonna go fast.

This is volunteer work. You may come and go as you please. When I do have tools available make sure to deposit them in community storage when you leave so that others may use them. However, when the crater is finished, there will be something in place commemorating all the helpers!

Closest rail line leading to the area would be the line to Ascension, but I personally walk/boat most of the time.

Aside from that, KeebyFTW and Top_Of_The_World (Miguel) have already helped me with some bits. We've got a small tree farm and melon farm running, so we won't die in the desert. :p

I'd love to help, but after just digging a 240x240 square pit to level 20 on another server just so I could have sex with something without it screaming "OH GOD IT'S TEARING ME APART", I'm tired of digging.

Yes, my penis is square, 40 meters long, and 240 meters wide. Don't judge me.

I'll write a letter to the president of T9k to give us clearance to high-grade explosive materials and a written/diagrammatic proposal pertaining to our goals.

Hopefully he won't send his armed forces on us and invoke an backlash that'll cripple our economy for years to cum.

Now, if I had some lipstick to write that letter...

At the moment, I don't have any tools available, but I'll be spending a few days or so acquiring them. Until then, volunteers would help the most by clearing the area around the center. I'll try to mark out the outlines for each level so you know how far to dig.

By all means, keep the blocks you find! Sand is pretty much the most valuable thing right now, and it's gonna go fast.

This is volunteer work. You may come and go as you please. When I do have tools available make sure to deposit them in community storage when you leave so that others may use them. However, when the crater is finished, there will be something in place commemorating all the helpers!

Closest rail line leading to the area would be the line to Ascension, but I personally walk/boat most of the time.

Aside from that, KeebyFTW and Top_Of_The_World (Miguel) have already helped me with some bits. We've got a small tree farm and melon farm running, so we won't die in the desert. :p
Thanks for answering those questions, as I will still help with this project. :D

Would be easier to just set up a giant tnt sphere about half that size... then again, tnt isn't allowed, so have fun. :p

Okay, I got four brand spankin' new picks ready for use.

Please return them to the chest you got them from before you log off so that others may have access to them.

Back