What do soldiers do when they're not fighting?

katphish

No this isn't a joke thread, I'm actually asking a question.

I'm genuinely just curious, since I know that these guys can't exactly be fighting 24/7. With so much downtime, I wonder how it is spent...

well, Casey spends some of his time gaming and endeavoring in t9k shenanigans, i assume other soldiers have regular little hobbies like that as well :)

there's actually a lot of things they do. From jobs around the base, to hobbies. Internet things, gaming, and the like. You'd be surprised how active they can be. The other thing to realize is that they are not always on down time. A lot of the time their schedule is quite rigid until they're "off duty" then they have some free time. You'd be surprised how many of them hang out and play games though.

I'm genuinely just curious, since I know that these guys can't exactly be fighting 24/7. With so much downtime, I wonder how it is spent...

Did you ever see the movie "Stripes"? It's a lot like that, from what my family memebrs who are/were in the military have told me.

Honestly, I couldn't begin to speculate, but I would imagine (if they're not deployed) it's not too dissimilar from our daily lives. I'll leave it to the actual, real-life GI's answer the question, though.

Reservists: Generally, they go back to their civilian jobs that may or may not be related to their military training. They'll receive official "refresher" training periodically.

Professional* (career) soldiers: Defense of domestic and overseas interests, regular distribution of humanitarian aid, training (Remember. If you don't use it, you lose it.), and training of foreign military from allied nations.

*Describes the type of employment, not necessarily the quality.

It may sound like career soldiers are getting paid to sit around, but they keep a constant pressure on threats.

It's sort of like insurance. You might wince at the idea of paying regular installments for something that may not ever happen, but when it does, you're glad it's there.

Back