What is the future of gaming?

Serenity595

Gaming. It's been around for decades. But where is it heading? In order to figure this out, I think we should take a look at the past; namely, the gaming consoles of the past.

In total, there have been eight generations of consoles from the Magnavox Odyssey released in 1972 to the Playstation 4 released in 2013. There have been many advancements in the gaming industry within this time frame; most notably, graphics. For many generations of gaming there onward, it was better graphics that drew the crowds. But will this method always work? Is it even working now? My answer to both questions is "No."

The reason graphics were such a big selling point of consoles in the past was because huge leaps in technology were happening all of the time. This is why the 64-bit Nintendo 64 of the fifth generation had far better graphics than the 16-bit Super Nintendo Entertainment System of the fourth generation. The advancements in computing capabilities across the older generations allowed new gameplay features to be possible such as 3D that completely changed the way a game was played. A very good example of this is the FPS genre. Prior to 3D, FPS games simply did not exist. But now, it's one of the most popular genres on the market today.

Now, let's compare the last three generations of gaming. The 6th generation had the Dreamcast, Playstation 2, GameCube, and Xbox; the 7th generation had the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and the Wii. The 8th generation, which is only just beginning, includes the Xbox One, Playstation 4, and the Wii U. If you have been a gamer during all three of these generations, then you probably have noticed something: graphics aren't getting much better.

Don't get me wrong; the graphics on the PS4 are definitely better than the PS2. But there is not as great of a difference as you might think. Compare these two images below. The first is of the original Killzone released on the PS2 in 2004. The second is of the "fourth" Killzone game known as Killzone: Shadow Fall released on the PS4 in 2013. Now, tell me honestly how big of a difference you see between the two:

Killzone (2004)

killzone_080103_04.jpg

Killzone: Shadow Fall (2013)

killzone_shadow_fall-2.jpg

There's almost a decade between the two games and yet they don't look that different. Now, take a look at these two Mario games on the SNES and N64 respectively:

Super Mario World (1990)

super-mario-world1109.jpg

Super Mario 64 (1996)

super_mario_64-2.jpg

As you can see, there is a much bigger difference between these two games, and they're only six years apart! What I'm trying to point out is that gaming itself is reaching a threshold in graphics where it just can't get that much better. A game can only look so real. Even if we did reach the point to where games looked exactly like real life, the amount of time it would take to design said graphics as well as the cost that it would require to do so would be insane.

But with all things considered, ultra-realistic graphics doesn't make a game fun anyway. Gameplay does. Back then, increased graphics capabilities did allow for new gameplay mechanics that were never possible before. Now, games simply look like more polished versions of earlier games.

This isn't to say that ground-breaking innovations haven't happened recently. The Nintendo Wii released back in 2006 is a great example of a system that brought something new to the table and had amazing sales because of it.

However, this still comes at a cost. While the Wii did bring in a lot of new gamers, it also "ostracized" many others because of its emphasis on motion controls and the casual crowd. But it still had great success regardless; this is easily seen in the Playstation Move and the Xbox's Kinect, both of which tried to cash in on the same casual crowd that Nintendo had been banking on.

But this brings up an interesting question: will we enjoy the games of the future the same way we enjoy the games of today? If companies follow where the money lies, the future console generations decades from now may consist of tablet devices that you can plug into your TV or even new devices such as the Oculus Rift which seeks to change the gaming experience itself via a virtual reality head-mounted display.

Pictured below: the Oculus Rift

oculus-rift-0113-de.jpg

I believe within a few decades, the gaming industry as we know it is going to completely change. No longer is the emphasis going to be on graphics but immersion. Now, I know that graphics increase immersion, but only so much. The real immersion comes from changing the virtual reality experience itself. Rather than looking at a screen with a controller in hand, I think our eyes are going to be the screen and the controller is going to be ourselves. While that may not sound very appealing to some, I think that is where the money lies.

Right now, the technology is in its infancy so it will be awhile before this becomes mainstream. However, when we get to the point where you can feel like you are literally in the game rather than simply playing it, we'll have a new whole generation of consoles and gamers who view virtual reality much differently then how you and I view it today.

So where do you think the future of gaming is headed? Does it look awe-inspiring or does it look unnerving? Should we seek to escape reality or keep it firmly grounded? Most importantly:

Will you still be a gamer in the far future or will you turn to other forms of media for entertainment?

Our answers may vary, but as for me: once a gamer, always a gamer. The future may be widely different from what we have today, but I am willing to embrace it to its fullest extent. After all, if we leave the gaming community years from now and go our separate ways, who else will be left to pwn the n00bs in the next generation?

picard-data-holodeck.jpg

And with that, I rest my case.

Will you still be a gamer in the far future or will you turn to other forms of media for entertainment?

Our answers may vary, but as for me: once a gamer, always a gamer. The future may be widely different from what we have today, but I am willing to embrace it to its fullest extent. After all, if we leave the gaming community years from now and go our separate ways, who else will be left to pwn the n00bs in the next generation?

Basically, this.

To be honest, I don't know. And I don't care about the concept of the future of gaming. I just go with the flow and whatever happens, happens. I will see it for myself eventually in the future unless I die unexpectedly.

All I know is that eventually some Japanese guy will invent a penis input.
Then dating games will be changed forever more.
The Sims will never be the same again.
Don't they have that already, or is it in development? It's one of the two, I'm pretty sure.

Personally, no- gaming, uhm...how to start this.....

Well, For me; gaming has been an escape to do all the things i can't do in real life, for the time being ;) I mean sure, i could go beat the hell out of hookers and random bystanders, steal their money and hijack cars. Well, i guess i could do that IRL, but, Police. ya know. OR i could go into the future and fight a group of Aliens whose sole mission is to destroy humanity, as humans are an affront to their gods/religion.

The list goes on, you get the idea.

For me, Gaming has more been about interest in the game rather than the quality/grahpics/gameplay itself; If you gave me GTA V and SUper mario brothers,, i'd probably play super mario brothers more because i have more interest in older games.

As far as future gaming, i'm sure i'll be playing them, but what i'll be playing remains to be seen (obviously).

I believe within a few decades, the gaming industry as we know it is going to completely change. No longer is the emphasis going to be on graphics but immersion. Now, I know that graphics increase immersion, but only so much. The real immersion comes from changing the virtual reality experience itself. Rather than looking at a screen with a controller in hand, I think our eyes are going to be the screen and the controller is going to be ourselves. While that may not sound very appealing to some, I think that is where the money lies.

Right now, the technology is in its infancy so it will be awhile before this becomes mainstream. However, when we get to the point where you can feel like you are literally in the game rather than simply playing it, we'll have a new whole generation of consoles and gamers who view virtual reality much differently then how you and I view it today.

This is the future of gaming:

ZXyp6Zl.jpg

Gaming. It's been around for decades. But where is it heading? In order to figure this out, I think we should take a look at the past; namely, the gaming consoles of the past.

In total, there have been eight generations of consoles from the Magnavox Odyssey released in 1972 to the Playstation 4 released in 2013. There have been many advancements in the gaming industry within this time frame; most notably, graphics. For many generations of gaming there onward, it was better graphics that drew the crowds. But will this method always work? Is it even working now? My answer to both questions is "No."

The reason graphics were such a big selling point of consoles in the past was because huge leaps in technology were happening all of the time. This is why the 64-bit Nintendo 64 of the fifth generation had far better graphics than the 16-bit Super Nintendo Entertainment System of the fourth generation. The advancements in computing capabilities across the older generations allowed new gameplay features to be possible such as 3D that completely changed the way a game was played. A very good example of this is the FPS genre. Prior to 3D, FPS games simply did not exist. But now, it's one of the most popular genres on the market today.

Now, let's compare the last three generations of gaming. The 6th generation had the Dreamcast, Playstation 2, GameCube, and Xbox; the 7th generation had the Xbox 360, Playstation 3, and the Wii. The 8th generation, which is only just beginning, includes the Xbox One, Playstation 4, and the Wii U. If you have been a gamer during all three of these generations, then you probably have noticed something: graphics aren't getting much better.

Don't get me wrong; the graphics on the PS4 are definitely better than the PS2. But there is not as great of a difference as you might think. Compare these two images below. The first is of the original Killzone released on the PS2 in 2004. The second is of the "fourth" Killzone game known as Killzone: Shadow Fall released on the PS4 in 2013. Now, tell me honestly how big of a difference you see between the two:

Killzone (2004)

killzone_080103_04.jpg

Killzone: Shadow Fall (2013)

killzone_shadow_fall-2.jpg

There's almost a decade between the two games and yet they don't look that different. Now, take a look at these two Mario games on the SNES and N64 respectively:

Super Mario World (1990)

super-mario-world1109.jpg

Super Mario 64 (1996)

super_mario_64-2.jpg

As you can see, there is a much bigger difference between these two games, and they're only six years apart! What I'm trying to point out is that gaming itself is reaching a threshold in graphics where it just can't get that much better. A game can only look so real. Even if we did reach the point to where games looked exactly like real life, the amount of time it would take to design said graphics as well as the cost that it would require to do so would be insane.

But with all things considered, ultra-realistic graphics doesn't make a game fun anyway. Gameplay does. Back then, increased graphics capabilities did allow for new gameplay mechanics that were never possible before. Now, games simply look like more polished versions of earlier games.

This isn't to say that ground-breaking innovations haven't happened recently. The Nintendo Wii released back in 2006 is a great example of a system that brought something new to the table and had amazing sales because of it.

However, this still comes at a cost. While the Wii did bring in a lot of new gamers, it also "ostracized" many others because of its emphasis on motion controls and the casual crowd. But it still had great success regardless; this is easily seen in the Playstation Move and the Xbox's Kinect, both of which tried to cash in on the same casual crowd that Nintendo had been banking on.

But this brings up an interesting question: will we enjoy the games of the future the same way we enjoy the games of today? If companies follow where the money lies, the future console generations decades from now may consist of tablet devices that you can plug into your TV or even new devices such as the Oculus Rift which seeks to change the gaming experience itself via a virtual reality head-mounted display.

Pictured below: the Oculus Rift

oculus-rift-0113-de.jpg

So where do you think the future of gaming is headed? Does it look awe-inspiring or does it look unnerving? Should we seek to escape reality or keep it firmly grounded? Most importantly:

picard-data-holodeck.jpg

And with that, I rest my case.

Everything you said about graphics is wrong. I do however agree with you on the direction of gaming, as immersion is what all the game companies are investing in now.

The Future of Gaming is this-

gamerNoFlash.jpg

Basically, we'll sit in a 8x8 room filled with holograms that remotely control live people in a set somewhere in Africa or China.

Why is what I said wrong?

First, and this actually made me angry reading it, but 3d graphics did not advent the FPS genre, as that genre has been around for a long time. Second, graphics have been increasing with technology that presents it, which means not only are graphics getting better, but they are getting better faster.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/519?vs=598

The above link shows the difference between a GTX 470 and a GTX 670. There was only about a two year period between those two cards, and they almost double all performance. Also, if you look at those two screenshots from the killzone series, there is a massive jump in "graphics". Not only is there better textures (which I assume is what you are looking at, since there isn't a huge difference other then an HD upgrade) but the upgrade in polygon count is quite evident, along with the presence of proper lighting and even more importantly, particles.
This is a massive improvement between the two, and I think what may be confusing here is that even though technology is increasing exponentially, it has become more standardized. Back with the Nintendo 64, technology was making its way into the homes of everyday consumers, so it felt new and exotic, along with adding a new depth of immersion by bringing things into the realm of 3d graphics. If you want a good comparison, look at the difference between the 2004 killzone and the Super Mario 64 screen shots. Only 8 years, but a massive improvement. Keep in mind a lot of what we know as better graphics is behind the scenes, or isn't quite better graphics, just better immersion factors such as physics.

Finally, Moore's Law.

I agree that moving graphics into the world of 3d was a huge leap in the immersion factor that graphics can bring to a game, and I agree that the immersion factor is much more important than graphics, but at the rate technology is improving, graphics are quickly becoming an immersion factor themselves.

How do you have an FPS game without a 3D space? Note, I didn't say shooters, I said first person shooters. I think the first Doom game wasn't technically 3D, but it used some fancy tricks to make 2D have the illusion of 3D. So I guess technically I was wrong to say that FPS didn't exist before actual 3D technology, but there was still the illusion of a 3D space that allowed said games to operate.

You can't look at hardware alone. Processing capability is getting better, but developers only know how to take advantage of it so much. I still stand by my statement that the past three generations has seen a slowed down pace in term of graphics. Also, you said yourself: "a lot of what we know as better graphics is behind the scenes, or isn't quite better graphics". Exactly! :p Technically, we are getting bigger polygon counts and the like, but my point is that it doesn't change the look as much as it used to, which is why I think graphics are dying out as a draw for players to get a particular system or game.

And I already said that graphics increase immersion themselves, lol. But only to a point. And at this current point in time, their impact on the immersion experience for the player is not as strong as it used to be.

I think it is more than it used to be, as while I loved the games on the nintendo 64, the thing that truly brought me to those games is they seemed so much bigger than anything I had ever played before. The worlds were vast and large compared to the over the head and side scrolling games I was used to. This may just be me, but the graphics were not something I really considered amazing, it was the size of the game and the abilities of the character to maneuver in 3d.

Technically, a higher polygon count is better graphics, as most games look to improve their textures which make things look pretty, but they don't take much in processing power as adding a couple hundred extra sides onto something. As for FPS, or anything first person, those have technically been around since the 70s. First person simply states that you are viewing things from the perspective of the person. You don't need 3d graphics for that, just a sense of depth (in a way 3d, but that's a whole other conversation for another time that we would probably agree on anyways).

Like you said, and myself, graphics are something that are moving into becoming an immersion factor. They already are for many people, and that is up to each individual. You aren't wrong here, ionically we agree in this instance :)

Finally, I think developers are pushing everything about graphics. Keep in mind that a lot of graphic improvements have been from the addition of polygons. With a huge jump in polygon count, developers are able to focus those resources on the smaller things that really need it. Instead of making a gun a few polygons, notice how they are rendered with many more details, and look like more than just a few pieces of metal with a bunch of ingenious textures applied to them. They have moving parts and light reflects off of them, making them look like they are actually made from metal.

This is the amazing thing about where graphics have come, as they allow for the render of a world that is so much larger than anything that came previously. Graphic resources for large objects are great, but we are now moving onto to turning those textures into individual pieces of the object now, and that in my opinion, is a huge jump in graphics as it is the breaking down of the wall between looking fake and looking real.

I think we simply disagree on what the meaning of graphics are. I know textures and polygon counts are considered pretty standard as graphics, but I think physics, particles, and lighting are all a huge part of graphics. Maybe it's time to move away from the term graphics and start using immersion as the general term as there are so many more things that the gpu is used for now.

We are all entitled to our own opinion, I just think that not only have graphics not slowed down, they have picked up speed. I think that each generation has shown a huge jump in graphics, but maybe it just depends on the person as I generally include in the term of graphics everything the gpu handles. In reality, the only thing you were really wrong about was the FPS thing. I apologize for the rest, as I simply disagree with you on all of that. Third person games were the ones that almost didn't exist before 3d graphics were around because it was easier to portray over the head and side scrolling. 3d graphics let third person off in giving the player control over the position of the camera, meaning the environment around them mattered in more than just a 2d plane.

I apologize if I came off offensive earlier (I know I did) as it has been a stressful day for me and I took it out on the wrong people. Hopefully we can continue this as a friendly debate :)

Casey

Well, I guess that's where we differentiate; I'm referring to graphics as the "look" of the game, you are referring to graphics as the capabilities of the game. For example, I could look at two modern games and say they look nearly identical from my viewpoint based on their appearance, while you could look at those same two games and point out the better physics, better lighting, and better particles (I never said I was an expert, did I? :p). I think as far as simple looks are involved, there has been quite a standstill in graphics, at least since 2007, if not before. Contrary to earlier generations, I don't think we've made any big "leaps" in terms of graphics recently. To me, the gaming industry is like the race between a tortoise and a hare, only the gaming industry is both animals at the same time. Sometimes it jumps ahead, other times it slows down. I'm not denying that graphics are getting better; I'm denying that graphics are leaping ahead in these recent generations.

Back