What is true power?

Serenity595

The True Essence of Power

In the course of human history, there have been many powerful men. From Julius Ceasar to George Washington, each individual had great influence over the people of their day and were given the authority to shape the world in their hands. This is what many consider the essence of power: dominion over people and over the earth. But that is not real power. It is only scratching the surface. True power is not measured by the ability to control others, but the ability to control one's self.

schindlers-list-movie-clip-screenshot-that-is-power_large.jpg

In the popular 90's film directed by Steven Spielberg called Schindler's List, there is a famous quote from Oskar Schindler, the man who saved 1,200 Jews from execution by the Nazi party. It reads as follows: "Power is when we have every justification to kill, and we don't." Amon Goeth, one of the antagonists of the story, questions his statement: "You think that's power?" Schindler explains,"That's what the Emperor said. A man steals something, he's brought in before the Emperor, he throws himself down on the ground. He begs for his life, he knows he's going to die. And the Emperor... pardons him. This worthless man, he lets him go." Goeth remarks,"I think you are drunk." The scene concludes with Schindler insisting his point:"That's power, Amon. That is power." What Schindler was trying to prove here was that power was not having the ability to kill a man because of his "crimes". He calls that justice. Power -- true power -- was having every reason to kill, and choosing not to. Why? Because a truly powerful man is in control of his thoughts, feelings, and actions. He is not easily angered by the world around him. Such a man has power over himself rather than letting his mind have power over him. In turn, this self control can lead to a greater ability to help others with authority and tranquility.

Gandhi_smiling_R.jpg

There is a saying: "Peace through power." This means that if a man exercises dominion over others correctly, peace can become of it. But there is another, more important phrase than can be drawn from this: "Power through peace." There is no greater example of this than the Indian reformer and leader, Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, who liberated his country from British control through non-violent acts such as protests and boycotts. So, why were these acts of peace so effective? It's because not only was Gandhi able to gain a lot of support for not encouraging violence, but he also gave the British no legitimate reason to quell the "rebellion". In essence, because of his promotion of peace, Gandhi became a very powerful man. He saved India from British occupation and brought freedom to his people. And he did this all without firing a single shot. Once again, he had control over his mind, rather than the other way around. But most importantly, he showed the power of peace upon mankind.

Nero_1.JPG

There are many people who are "power-hungry", but they forget that true power is within the mind. Any fool could exercise dominion over others. This is ever so apparent in tyrants such as Nero or Kim Jong-un. But only a man with deep self-control -- a man with inner peace -- can wield it with great might. And that is the true essence of power.

The power to cause pain is the only power that matters, the power to kill and destroy, because if you can't kill then you are always subject to those who can, and nothing and no one will ever save you.

Everything I know I learned from Ender's Game

I personally believe "Power" itself is purely subjective and differs depending on the perspective held between an individual and a group.

Some view power as wealth, status and fame, a means to an end. Others view power as humility and patience, a way of life.

I view power as the will to form ones opinions about the world and oneself without being influenced by the opinions held by society over their own judgements.

Power is measured, in my mind, by the respect given to you by others. I'll expand on that once I'm back on my computer.

It's a shame more people don't try to be like Gandhi or the emperor mentioned when it comes to power. I can only hope that I never become a victim of another person's abuse of power and that I am never in the position of the abuser.

Batman has the power to save Gotham.

He also has the power to kill. But he never does it.

Maybe Batman just wants to exhibit power through pounding. But at what cost?

Batman has the power to save Gotham.

He also has the power to kill. But he never does it.

Maybe Batman just wants to exhibit power through pounding. But at what cost?
Part of Batman's arsenal is psychological. By not killing, he implies that the criminals aren't enough of a threat for him to really worry about.

I believe power is completely determined by what a person can do.
The person that can lift the box is more powerful than the person that can't.
The person that can survive on a desert island is more powerful than the person who can't.
The person that can call down a missile strike is more powerful than the person that can't.
All power is determined by what a person can do, and what they can't do.

I believe power is completely determined by what a person can do.
The person that can lift the box is more powerful than the person that can't.
The person that can survive on a desert island is more powerful than the person who can't.
The person that can call down a missile strike is more powerful than the person that can't.
All power is determined by what a person can do, and what they can't do.
Would you then say that a person is not powerful if s/he must join forces with other similarly powerless people in order to bring about any change? Ie., power in numbers is not true power, merely massed weakness pretending to be strength?

Would you then say that a person is not powerful if s/he must join forces with other similarly powerless people in order to bring about any change? Ie., power in numbers is not true power, merely massed weakness pretending to be strength?
Well, as the group shares power, the things a person can do as part of that group increases.
So strength in numbers is no illusion, as is a real as the power of any individual.

EDIT: I love these threads by Serenity, they really get you thinking.

tumblr_mpsdsk1EQA1qcbbyko1_400.gif

POWER! UNLIMITED POWER!!

Sorry, first thing that came to mind when I saw the title. And my brain isn't braining well.

From how I understand it, power is attained through strength, and in turn gives victory. Through victory, your chains are broken and you are set free.

Thank you so much for this.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I believe that power isn't necessarily measured in wealth, knowledge, or wisdom. There are many people in a position of "power" that do not posses great wealth, knowledge, or wisdom, but do have great influence over a great many people. However, those aforementioned qualities can and will help in establishing this "power", but are not inherently necessary.

I think Willpower should be brought into this. The Power to do something you really don't want to do just because you know you should. Anyone who can wake up without an alarm clock is powerful, anyone who can ask "Who's wallet is this?" Is powerful because they have complete mastery of the self. They can make themselves do anything, and when you can do that, others are more likely to follow you.

I like to think power is moreso what you say and how you say it, along with how you present yourself; i know from just observing myself in school, with how powerfully i talk and assert my feelings; basically being headstrong, etc.. has gained me a lot of "true" friends; that is, they have stuck with being my friends no matter how egotistical/uncaring i may be/seem; to me, that is "power", power of speech and how you present yourself is what really matters.

In my opinion, power lies in courage. No matter if the small act of bravery is small, large; physically, mentally, it's still courage, and courage compels an individual to get somewhere in life. That's just me though.

Just watch all the cutscenes for Metal Gear Rising, Revengence. You'll be stupefied at how little/much/overworked they try to be philosophical.

Back