What will future Windows operating systems be like?

The Metro interface, the "charm" buttons, and the lack of a start button is what really annoys me about Windows 8. I'll have to look into Start8. Windows 8 is crazy fast though, I'll give it that.

Start 8 removes Metro as the start app, you can kill the charms, and it gives you a start button. There is a free demo. Wooty put me on to it. It's fantastic. Only $5 if you want to buy it.

:/

My desktop runs Win7 and my laptop Win8.

Windows 8 is great if you use a touchscreen (which my laptop is). It takes a little time to get used to it, but it's much smoother and more fluid than the old system. I hardly use my mouse/touchpad on my laptop anymore. I'll agree that it's clunky with a mouse, which is why my desktop isn't upgraded yet (I'm debating on whether getting 3 touchscreen monitors is worth it).

I've noticed that the vast majority of the people who complain about Win8 (which, I'll remind you, was designed for touchscreens) are the same ones who have a tablet/smartphone that has essentially been running the same interface for years, and are too stupid to realize it. There's nothing unusual about it, and if you thought about it for more than 5 seconds, you'd realize the transition is actually pretty logical.

Windows 8 is great if you use a touchscreen (which my laptop is). It takes a little time to get used to it, but it's much smoother and more fluid than the old system. I hardly use my mouse/touchpad on my laptop anymore. I'll agree that it's clunky with a mouse, which is why my desktop isn't upgraded yet (I'm debating on whether getting 3 touchscreen monitors is worth it).

I've noticed that the vast majority of the people who complain about Win8 (which, I'll remind you, was designed for touchscreens) are the same ones who have a tablet/smartphone that has essentially been running the same interface for years, and are too stupid to realize it. There's nothing unusual about it, and if you thought about it for more than 5 seconds, you'd realize the transition is actually pretty logical.

Again, Start8 might have me ignorant to this, but the interface works very well with a mouse and keyboard as well. The charms all work, it's just not the same motion, but it works. Or perhaps I don't mind moving my mouse more than a nanoinch.

Again, Start8 might have me ignorant to this, but the interface works very well with a mouse and keyboard as well. The charms all work, it's just not the same motion, but it works. Or perhaps I don't mind moving my mouse more than a nanoinch.

A lot of things in the Metro interface take more clicks or more mouse movement to do than previously. It doesn't matter if it takes just a single extra second to do something. That's still an extra second that didn't have to be wasted in the first place. xP And I can't count how many times the charm buttons popped up when I didn't want them to, lol

I used to have win8, but I went to win7(something happened to the system that couldn't be fixed) but while using the os, I had to say that it didn't feel stable, even if I used start8 on my system, it still wouldn't feel right to use it.

I can't describe it, I an artist, not a os reviewer.

I used to have win8, but I went to win7(something happened to the system that couldn't be fixed) but while using the os, I had to say that it didn't feel stable, even if I used start8 on my system, it still wouldn't feel right to use it.

I can't describe it, I an artist, not a os reviewer.
As an artist (I assume you mean picture-related art), do you use a touchscreen?

As an artist (I assume you mean picture-related art), do you use a touchscreen?
no tablet, but I use blender most of the time, and I got the tablet after I got rid of windows 8 and went to ubnutu(the tablet wasn't supported on ubnutu) thats why I went to windows 7.

A lot of things in the Metro interface take more clicks or more mouse movement to do than previously. It doesn't matter if it takes just a single extra second to do something. That's still an extra second that didn't have to be wasted in the first place. xP And I can't count how many times the charm buttons popped up when I didn't want them to, lol
Learn the keyboard shortcuts, you won't feel like such a chump anymore.

Could you defend Windows 8 without resorting to name-calling or personal attacks, please?

It's not 'name-calling' since 'name-calling' implies that i'm teasing for the sake putting the other person down (I'm assuming you're referring only the first quote; 'You're incorrect and ignorant.'). My comments are not of a 'bullying' nature, but rather adjectival for the sake of conclusion.

@quote 2: here, i'm not referring to the person being 'unobjective and ignorant' but rather the text. It is quote plausible that the person was trying to convey their ideas a slightly different way but simply made an error in their phrasing.

@quote 3: 'feeling like a chump' is actually a rather popular idiom used everywhere from the Washington Post to Greenday lyrics. Not at all meant to be an 'attack'.

I am a cunt, or could easily be perceived to be; but not because i'm necessarily trying to 'attack' someone.

I never argue anything unless I genuinely believe in something being incorrect.

For more, read up on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obsessive–compulsive_personality_disorder

Thank you.

Unfortunately Windows 8 isn't doing that great, so much that companies are starting to offer Windows 7 on new OEMs again due to complaints about Windows 8.

Metro (IMO) is only but a small part of the operating system. Perhaps Start8 (best start button ever) has made me oblivious to all the things that riddle Windows 8, however, I think Windows 8 is great (haha I rhymed). It's crazy fast, fastboot is awesome, very stable, self healing, and I love it's design scheme. Metro never gets in my way because Start8 boots me straight to desktop. I haven't seen a virus and I don't even have an AV installed.

Given enough time with it, actually using it, not testing it on a VM you will like it as well. I wouldn't go back to 7, unless I was given no choice. As a matter of fact, I fix dozens of PCs a day, and I rather work on the Windows 8 ones than Windows 7.

I couldn't agree more. I actually dished out the $5 because I like it so much (firm believer in supporting the products you like, especially when they're so cheap!). Ever since I ditched the metro UI I have been in love with Windows 8. Soooo much quicker and smoother. Everything looks nicer, and the upgrade in windows explorer was way overdue.

Just get one small, cheap touchscreen monitor to supplement your actual monitors, and use the touchscreen more as a peripheral than an actual display (It's purpose would be almost purely functional, and you would use your other monitors for everything else) This is the set up I want, as I want three 4k monitors. I also need to upgrade my GPUs with a handful of 780ti cards, so I won't be going with this set up until I am a millionaire.

I couldn't agree more. I actually dished out the $5 because I like it so much (firm believer in supporting the products you like, especially when they're so cheap!). Ever since I ditched the metro UI I have been in love with Windows 8. Soooo much quicker and smoother. Everything looks nicer, and the upgrade in windows explorer was way overdue.

Just get one small, cheap touchscreen monitor to supplement your actual monitors, and use the touchscreen more as a peripheral than an actual display (It's purpose would be almost purely functional, and you would use your other monitors for everything else) This is the set up I want, as I want three 4k monitors. I also need to upgrade my GPUs with a handful of 780ti cards, so I won't be going with this set up until I am a millionaire.
Good idea, except when I say "touchscreen," I don't mean "touchpad." Interesting concept though.

Good idea, except when I say "touchscreen," I don't mean "touchpad." Interesting concept though.

Oh, I don't mean a cheap touchpad, I mean just a small 22 inch touchscreen. Doesn't have to be nice, and while I would prefer a 1080p one, as long as it isn't below 720p I wouldn't care. You could still use it as a monitor if necessary, but the real money goes towards gorgeous, crystal clear screen space.

Back