• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Why the 2DS doesn't suck?

crafteroftemines

If at first glance at Nintendo's 2DS, you had several yuks (I think that's correct) about the drastic changes made. Then please, take a gander at this. I will be focusing solely on the hardware portion of this, since for games its exactly comparable to a 3DS. I have been using it since about March 26 with no protection other than my pocket.

SCREENS/GRAPHICS

2 screens, probably the only thing familiar other than the buttons. The graphics are also pretty much the same. It looks really good, Sonic Generations was the only 3DS game I was able to play, that had any impressive graphics. But never-the-less, I was very pleased. The lack of 3D actually left me happier. Spending thirty dollars on 'Headache Mode' was very nice. Within a week, the top screen had a small amount of superficial scratches, but nothing that could be seen with the DS on. The bottom screen was free of any scratches.

SIZE/SHAPE

In the beginning, it was a bit clunky to hold, but you'll quickly realize that the L/R buttons press from the side, which makes it oodles more comfortable to play on. The inability to shut may make the unit a bit less portable, especially if you wear women's pants. I, however, was able to fit it in my front pocket pretty comfortably. The button layout feels right and I can quickly react to most situations in-game. I am pretty easily immersed in games, so I can't speak of that as confidently.

PRICING

When I bought the 2DS, it was a total of $140.58 USD. Before and shortly after the purchase, I was nervous. I had never spent that much money on an anything and was afraid that I'd enjoy it for a month, get bored, and not be able to return it. But, I had borrowed some games from some pals of mine, and am thoroughly enjoying the purchase. The price is pretty reasonable, although I had forgotten about tax.

SCORE

OVERALL

The 2DS is probably my favorite purchase of 2014, well second best, my #1 favorite was $2 for 4 Ring Pops. The system plays very well, and the reduction of price, and a lack of 3D, actually warmed my heart. And Abraham Lincoln used to say, "Don't knock it, 'till you try it."

I agree, I was thinking of picking up one for X/Y, but here's why it isn't worth it.

2DS: $130
3DS (Refurbished): $150

I'm probably going to end up with just getting a 3DS, although congratz on the purchase. The 2DS is by no means bad at all.

7? 7 out of what? 7 out of 20? 7 out of Banana? B out of 5? I need a complete fraction, man! :eek:

In all seriousness, good review. :3

Back