• You're viewing the Team9000 Archives. These old threads are closed to new comments, but if something interests you or you have a question, feel free to open a new thread in the main forums.

Youth Gaming

NewspaperCrane

Other than that things are interesting for me right now. In a word I’m in between homes. Not that I’m homeless, I’m staying with friends, but my mom’s lease ended on december first, and mine doesn’t begin until december 15th. Things are interesting right now, my friend’s have three dogs, two of which are just under a year old, and not trained very well. They like to bark, and are generally just a lot of work. Their youngest son (eight or nine years old) has within the past year really gotten into video games. My friends were raised in a house where video games were not allowed, even though every so often they would get a computer game, like a flight simulator or something educational like that. Definitely nothing mainstream.

In contrast, I’ve been raised by the internet, having video games part of my life from a young age. When we were younger I would bring over my playstation and we’d play, but when I left, it’d be gone. Now that my two friends (the older two brothers) are older, one of them has an N64 and a few games, and an original xbox with a few games. Things are different for video games these days, I think. Originally it started for the older brother, as well as the younger brother, with how so many people are introduced to gaming these days: The internet. More specifically, they were hooked by the casual gaming of Facebook. It started to educational games, but then it moved to others like Farmville *shudder*, Tower defense games, and the like. These days the youngest brother has access to the xbox and plays quite a bit of Halo 2, or at least what he can.

Their xbox is quite “fun” actually. It’s what I’d call a Franken Xbox, made from two separate xbox’s, both of which had problems originally. Their Halo 2 disk doesn’t play past the the fourth or fifth level, though the multiplayer works. I’m not sure if this is the fault of the disk or the xbox, but either way the kid loves halo, but has no idea how halo 2 ends. I don’t think he’s ever even looked at halo 1.

Enter Myself: with me I brought my big box of media, which I refused to put in storage. The thing is sweet. I’ve got games in there for everything from Turbo Grafx-16 to Ps3. Since they don’t have cable I naturally brought my ps3, and I was thinking about replaying Assassin’s Creed 1, so I brought my 360. You’d think that the kid had never seen a video game before. He already knew everything there was to know about xbox. He’d read all about the story of halo 3 (which was in my big box of games) he even recognized the case for halo 3 and asked me where the rest of my legendary edition was (the helmet is in storage).

The Conundrum: every time I play video games he wants to watch, he wants to play too, but he’s content to just watch. He actually drives me a little bit nuts, as he constantly asks questions about everything, though I don’t think there’s a nine year old alive that doesn’t do that. The problem is that his parents don’t really want him exposed to the violence of most video games, or really video games in general. They were able to fend it off with his two older brothers, but now it’s become difficult with their youngest. It doesn’t help that I’m playing Assassin’s creed, wherein you pretty much just walk around and stab everyone you’re told to. I’m not sure that I’d consider it more violent than Halo, but killing humans, and more intensely the ability to kill innocents (No matter how much the game punishes you… it’s possible) is something that I don’t think is really appropriate, and I think his parents agree.

My solution: As someone who is for gaming, and believes that it can be very educational if done correctly, I disagree with his parent’s policy on video games. That said, I’m their guest, and he is their child so I would like to respect their wishes, so here’s what I did: I stopped playing violent games (though I did give him a chance to play quite a bit of halo 3 first), and purchased a non violent game (Lego Star Wars), and thirdly I made an agreement with his parents that he could not play games with me until he got all of his homework done (he is home schooled, so motivation can be a bit of an issue), and finally, I stopped playing video games without him (this makes him liable to whether or not I can play games too, and adds motivation to get his homework done, as he can’t even watch me play).

I think these steps have made me come to a good solution to this problem. You should have seen the kid when he found out there was a Lego Star Wars game, it’s a combination of three things he loves. I don’t think I’ve ever seen that kid go that bananas over something (not quite n64 kid, but he was excited). I think it’s given me a little bit of perspective on how gaming is viewed outside of families who are emerged in a gaming culture. Gaming can be viewed as frivolous, expensive, and just plain a waste of time when you could be working on something more productive. I think that it builds intelligence, hand eye coordination, and critical thinking. I think I turned out pretty well being raised by video games, but I’m not exactly a complete clinical study.

What is your opinion on gaming when it comes to your children? What kind of restrictions do/did your parents have on video games?

My parents didn't have many restrictions on us when we were growing up when it came to video games. It was always understood that if our grades declined, or our chores weren't completed to satisfaction that the games would be turned off until things started to improve.

My wife and I agree that we're going to wait until our child(ren) are at least 2 before we expose him/them to video games and television. Studies have shown children below that age who watch as little as an hour of TV or video games a day are much more likely to have shorter attention spans and other things that can inhibit mental development and growth and they grow up.

I do feel, however, that video games do have added benefits and there are studies that help back that argument up. Video games have been shown to improve spatial reasoning, hand-eye coordination, problem-solving skills. They've also been shown to reduce violent tendencies in people, while also increasing said person's tolerance to negative/violent behavior.

That doesn't mean I'm going to allow them to spend every waking moment playing video games. I do want them to be well-rounded people and I think video games are becoming a more acceptable form of entertainment, which would make socializing difficult for them if they don't have any exposure to it. Like Clayto says, moderation is key, and I really don't see any issue letting an 8yr old play games as long as s/he has everything else they're supposed to do done and it doesn't begin to affect other aspects of their development.

Oh you have a problem.. thats why your so pessimistic. Oh nevermind......
Well the restriction my parents threw at me was a strict one. They said I coud only play during weekends. And only 2 hours for everyday in that weekend. I hated that policy, but then I started to sneak into playing. After that, I got addicted to this sneaky playing thing. So addicted that my I FAILED 7th grade because of so much absorption to games.

So, according to my experience, children can play video games, just as long as they don't bury their faces into it for 24 hours a day.....

I'm with Moon and Skryter, I'll be posting my thoughts on this tomorrow. I don't have much time right now...

I kinda grew up surrounded by it as well. Only restrictions I was ever imposed were to clean my room, put my clean laundry neatly away, do my homework and chores.. Oh, and to get along with my brothers.. :p

You're a good guy. I let my 10 year old cousin (at least I think he's 10 years old) play God of War series for several hours on end, on my PS2 , PS3 when I don't want him bugging me on the computer. I also tell him the path to manhood is ripping off good hardworking developers via piracy because our government don't give a rat's ass about it..

I was going to say that my child would be raised to play only Call of Duty games and FPS games like Battlefield or Counter Strike. It would be a personal social experiment to see if these "violent" video games would really affect a child and change him or her psychologically.

But nah, I decided a few years ago that if I ever had kids, my policy would be to let him or her get to the next checkpoint before asking them to stop. Also, I probably won't make them "pause" an online game.

I've been practically raised by video games and I feel like they've helped me grow as a human being. One of the most notable things I've gained is being really efficient at doing tasks. This mostly comes from racing games where every second counts, and the same can be applied in real life when studying, driving, working on projects.

Racing games you say... ever play this one?

Wow, now that I think back on it, I was kinda like "that kid." Amazingly though, I learned the rules well, and was skillfully able to balance grade-school with ludicrous amounts of video games without my social life crumbling to pieces.

It's been stated before, but moderation is key in everything, not just video games. If it wasn't for my parents and their incredibly strict rules, I may have not been able to grasp this concept at all!

If his matury level is of a high enough stanard then i believe you should allow him to play/watch slightly higher rated content. On another note i'd recommend playing Geometry Wars with him, i play it with my little cousin when he visits my house and we have a shit load of fun together.

Your friends' parents sound eerily like my mother and stepfather. I was even homeschooled too -_-

i have had a very good experience from the video gaming industry and, while i do not think that violent video games kill people, i do not think that at 5 little timmy should be playing resident evil 6. (use the rating system to judge some what, but do not rely on it

Back